At what point do you think a VPI is worth the investment?

Shade

After hearing so much about the VPI and other record vacuums, they've got my interest. Now for someone with over 1000 albums, I think it would be an obvious investment. But what about for someone still building their collection? I only got into vinyl more seriously in the last 2-3 years. So far I've got a whopping total of 90 albums. Counting my GF's, about 120 + a bunch of 45s.

While it's a pretty small collection right now, I'm still picking up albums here & there. And I'd like to keep the records I have in as good of shape as possible.

My question : Do you think it's worth the investment in a VPI with a smaller collection, or should I just be more concerned with expanding my collection for now?

It's worth it any time as long as you are expanding your collection. The only time I really give a record a good vacuuming is just after I buy it. Then, as long as the record is used carefully and stored in a rice paper sleeve, you'll usually only need a good carbon brush to brush off the stray dust. You'll be amazed at how good a pretty dirty looking record can sound after a good cleaning on a VPI or Nitty Gritty.

There is much to be said for the VPI but there are also other, much less expensive ways to clean your record really well. I use a "spin clean" record washer and microfiber towels on my LPs, it only takes about 3 miniutes to get a record clean and it only costs about $50, new.

I agree though that the time to buy a cleaning system is when you own your first LP.

I would figure whether the purchase was justified by how many records you have and what condition they are in.

The VPI will cost about $500. If you had only 10 records, that means you'd be paying $50 per LP to get them clean. Most would agree that would be extravagant. But only you can determine where the cost per record becomes acceptable. Is it when you have 100 records? 500 records? 2500 records?

Also it depends on whether you are buying records new or used. New ones could get by very easily without worrying about them, but not used ones, generally speaking.

Thanks for all the replies. You've got me sold on the idea of a VPI. It looks like it comes with a brush & some cleaning fluid. Do I need to get any accessories with this, different brushes, etc? Or is what it comes with all I need?

Also, does everybody just use the VPI cleaning fluid or any (cheaper?) alternatives?

scott0527, you mentioned using rice paper sleeves. I've been using poly lined sleeves. Are the ricepaper ones better? I do need to get some more sleeves, are these the type you're reffering to?

http://www.dccblowout.com/product.asp?pf_id=9SI2%2E5

(EDIT: or the mobile fidelity sleeves? http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sku=AMFIS)

Thanks

WWW.audiolab.com has the VPI HW-16 cleaner for $449.00 includes shipping. I just bought one from them. That was the lowest new price I could find. Also Elusive disc has them as a package deal with other stuff in the pkg.,sleeves,cleaner etc. and if you ask they will pay for shipping.

Cheers,

Robert

----------------

On 6/30/2005 8:06:12 PM Shade wrote:

scott0527, you mentioned using rice paper sleeves. I've been using poly lined sleeves. Are the ricepaper ones better? I do need to get some more sleeves, are these the type you're reffering to?

(EDIT: or the mobile fidelity sleeves?
)

Thanks----------------

Yes, those look good. I refer to them as rice paper sleeves but really any sleeve like that designed for records is what I mean. The old paper(sand paper) sleeves that used records come in should be tossed. You'll want to put your nicely cleaned lp in a good clean sleeve that has at least some sort of anit-static property.

The VPI 16.5 is now available in Australia. Recommended retail price is $999.

There's a whole world of music out there, gathering 'dust' in the form of second hand albums. I get lots of fun out of sifting through piles of discarded albums. Every now and then I come across a classic. This makes buying a decent quality record cleaner a no-brainer for the music lover.

i think mallet hit on it, the vpi is great, but it makes little difference if you do not have a good cartridge, and turntable in general, the tt itself, and cartridge is huge in tt performance, the tt amp is also something that needs to be looked at, tt rigs are finicky, if you want great sound, they are one of the best ways to go, but you have to be willing to do do the upkeep and tweaking