Klipsch at Costco??

oscarsear

Plowing thru the local Costco in Couer d'Alene (Idaho) and stacked in the electronic do-dad's are a load of "K" series Klipsch sub-woofers. Am I out of sync or is this new??? I didn't see if any other Klipsch product was there...just interesting since no other outlet in this area even has Klipsch.15.gif

Costco buys some stuff "grey market" aka unauthorized distribution. At times a shipment to a European distributor, etc will be diverted and wind up in Costco. They have done this with Cannondale and Trek bicycles over the years among other things. They are not an authorized reseller of those bicycles so the manufacturers' warranty is void, but Costco provides their own warranty. Don't know if the situation with Klipsch is similar, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Best in horns,

triceratops

Yes, many large chains will import and sell "grey market". This is perfectly legal, and it is nice that they provide a warranty. The problem arrises when the grey market products are not distributed here by the manufacturer. Then the local service organization does not stock parts or have any repair manuals! While under warranty by Costco etc. they may end up refunding you, but what happens off warranty? You cannot fix it.

This happened in Canada at Zellers. They imported a Pioneer US DVD recorder into Canada. It had no french manuals for Quebec. Customers called Pioneer, who told them that Zellers imported them, and that Pioneer has no responsability and does not plan on stocking parts, manuals, or training technicians to service the product. So watch out! Why would Pioneer have a US model that they do not import into Canada (or any other country) Simply cost. When they decide what products to sell in a country the decision involves profit minus the cost to stock parts and train technicians etc. In some countries the market is not big enough to justify.

• Moderators

This is NOT gray market activity but an inventory liquidation step by us to the Top Warehouse chain in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />US. This was done to address discontinued products, and we chose the best partner in a new category to for end of life products.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The usual warranty applies.

----------------

On 7/13/2005 11:32:38 AM Amy Unger wrote:

This is NOT gray market activity but an inventory liquidation step by us to the Top Warehouse chain in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />US. This was done to address discontinued products, and we chose the best partner in a new category to for end of life products.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The usual warranty applies.

----------------

Amy...can you put that in writing?

Hmmm... uh... never mind

9.gif

----------------

.......This was done to address discontinued products, and we chose the best partner in a new category to for end of life products.

----------------

Glad I didn't see Heritage stuff there!!! Amy...what all is being sold thru Cost-co? Just curious....

4.gif4.gif

----------------

On 7/13/2005 12:33:17 PM oscarsear wrote:

----------------

.......This was done to address discontinued products, and we chose the best partner in a new category to for end of life products.

----------------

Glad I didn't see Heritage stuff there!!! Amy...what all is being sold thru Cost-co? Just curious....

----------------

I'm still hoping on getting myself a Belle centre through Costco... 3.gif

----------------

On 7/13/2005 9:47:03 PM jheis wrote:

So..., I know it's cheap, but is the ksw10 any good?

James

----------------

I have the same question! They are dirt cheap on ebay. All I need to know is whether it's tight, noiseless, and can reach an acceptable depth for most music.

• Moderators

----------------

On 7/13/2005 9:29:44 PM triceratops wrote:

Amy, thanks for clarifying the situation. My apologies for assuming it was unauthorized.

Best in horns,

triceratops

----------------

No worries 9.gif

PLEASE do NOT get me wrong here everyone....as I LOVE my Klipsch speakers.....especially the Sub-12! But....if you want to spend only $199 on a sub....I highly recommend the BIC H-100. I have one for my small 2.1 system (RB-25's and old Pioneer receiver used with an HD monitor and inexpensive progressive scan DVD player...) and am more than pleased with it. BASH amp, 150w RMS, 500w peak, 12" driver. IMO it is an excellent value for the dollar and (again, IMO!!!) blows away the KSW-12, let alone the KSW-10. So...if you want a nice sub for $199 get the BIC. If you are even thinking of doubling up with two of the $199 KSW's....walk out of Costco quickly and get to a BB and buy a single Sub-12 instead!9.gif