OK everyone - how do you all resist the temptation to buy more equipment?

richieb

How do you all do it? I am wanting for nothing new at the moment. I am very satisfied with my system. But you know how it is and what I am talking about, got a bad hankerin' to buy somethin'. Would like some Heresys to round out the Heritage collection but don't really NEED them. Would like a differant amp/pre combo but don't NEED 'em, my current gear sounds great. Two good reasons for me not to buy might be my daughters car was just totalled in an accident, needs another for college along with that second year of college tuition just being around the corner. Does anyone use what I like to call "WP", you know, good ol' willpower?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should go out and buy some interesting comp. albums because you don't neccesarily know what your going to get.

I just went out and bought a 2LP funk compilation, 2LP Rare Memphis R&B comp., and the new Wilco album. I can't wait to hook up my TT; since we moved last week it's still lying dormant.

That fires me up, spinning new albums or cd's. It's hard not to want to "play" with your gear once it's all set up!

Dr. C

How, because once you solve the major problems: frequency response, dynamics, depth, room modes and nulls, bass punch, solid-state harschness, the investment keeps getting larger and larger while the returns get smaller and smaller, thats how!

Once you have Modded Wright Mono 2a3's, Modded Conrad Johnson pre-amplifier, Modded source and Modded Klipschorns, for example, with powerful sub and acoustic panels and a DEQ2496 and a big screen TV, where are else are you going to go for a few hundred bucks?

...oh, yeah 5,6, 7 or 10 channels....9.gif

"NEED"???

Who uses that word when it comes to audio?

I don't NEED my RF-3IIs, driven by Aragon and B&K. I also don't NEED my 1000W, 15" Titanic sub. Do I appreciate having them? Certainly. Do I need them? Not at all.

It's not about "need", but about "want". And you should satisfy yours... if your finances allow it, that is. Don't go into debt over it.

"..how do you all resist the temptation to buy more equipment?.."

SIMPLE... Lack of Funds!!! That and the fact that my Home Audio bug has to fight with my Mobil Audio bug, Preformance Truck bug, Snowboard bug, Mtn bike bug and Karate bug . . . . it does seem that the Home Audio bug has is kicking major arse lately, LOL

I haven't made any major changes to my system in five years (a BAT CD player back in 2000). I haven't changed out my turntable/arm/cartridge combo in TWELVE years. I've been using the MC30s and the C22 for TWENTY years. I bought my Cornwalls OVER TWENTY years ago and they have been in and out of the main system a couple of times, but have been there for the last TWLEVE years straight.

I added a PS Audio P300 Power Plant in 2001. Also in 2001 worked with Al demoing the first set of ALK B networks and then last year built the revised model with Jensen PIOs. I got a really sweet deal on Nordost Blue Heaven speaker wire in 2001, so I went for it. I bought the first batch of Silver Audio Hyacinth interconnects about that time as well for a SUSTANTIALLY discounted price.

So other than that little burst in 2000/2001 my system hasn't really changed much since the FIRST Bush administration!

I spend my hifi lust money on RECORDS.

----------------

On 7/22/2005 10:38:12 AM Colin wrote:

How, because once you solve the major problems: frequency response, dynamics, depth, room modes and nulls, bass punch, solid-state harschness, the investment keeps getting larger and larger while the returns get smaller and smaller, that’s how!

Once you have Modded Wright Mono 2a3's, Modded Conrad Johnson pre-amplifier, Modded source and Modded Klipschorns, for example, with powerful sub and acoustic panels and a DEQ2496 and a big screen TV, where are else are you going to go for a few hundred bucks?

...oh, yeah 5,6, 7 or 10 channels....
9.gif

----------------

I agree ! My stereo sounds much better now having tried and sold many components. I have less money in it than I did 2 years ago and it sounds much better. I also agree it's not a need at all but a passion of mine. I must have 5 or 6 different preamps and amps so why would I just go buy another set of Lexman pre and power amps the other day? Cause I wanted them.

Colin some of that gear seems familiar to me.....hmmm.. I wonder ?

One method, I haven't used it yet but am thinking about it, would be to agree to sell something each time you buy something. This would be like upgrading, and your accumulation would not get larger each time you give in to the temptation. Another technique is running out of rooms to place your equiptment. But then youmight be tempted to buy a larger place to live with more rooms. Will power is just sooooo painful.

The only problem with that Allan, is you spend more money on albums than some of us have in our whole stereo system(s) in our houses. 9.gif

As for me, I spend some money on myself and upgrade the system, sit back, pay off the debt and then, look around to see what else I could buy, upgrade???

----------------

On 7/22/2005 11:54:45 AM Dflip wrote:

The only problem with that Allan, is you spend more money on albums than some of us have in our whole stereo system(s) in our houses.
9.gif

----------------

Probably including the house in my case!

Simple. Start an Internet B2B exchange. Raise $15.7MM during 3 rounds of funding. Put all your personal assets on the line to maintain equity in the company. Have entire dot com universe collapse around you in 2001. Investors crash and burn. Company closes. File personal bankruptcy. Lose house. Lose cars. Lose all liquid assets. Move wife, daughter and baby boy into small rental house. Start new business with partners who helped found previous business. Scratch and claw for three years trying to get the business off the ground. Works for me. :)