buying my first klipschorns!!!!!!! how's the year?????

funkyhambone

well it looks like i have found what i have been looking for. i am going on a roadtrip this weekend to purchase some 1972 walnut oiled type b khorns. he sent both woofers to klipsch several years ago to be reconed. he has owned them for 25 years and he is the second owner. they have the aa crossover. what is the consensus on this year's model????? i own 6 cornwalls and two heresy and i have never had to recone a woofer. have i been really lucky? should i have any concerns??? looking forward to the knowledge.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think they would be very good. I have got 73's and like them alot. One thing cool about this vintage is they have the old PWK monogram pie slice logo.

The crossovers will almost certainly need to have fresh caps installed. Not a big deal. at all.

Enjoy. post pics if you can.

Congrats!!!

Sorry to butt in but this is my first go on a forum and I couldn't work out how to start something !!.

I need help, I have a late set of Klipschorns, they are set up correctly, in phase and in good nick. I am using them with gear I am familiar with. My problems are that the treble is rolled off (nowt above 17khz at all!) and the bass is very light (not much below 60hz). The speakers also lack transparency. I waited a long time for these speakers and words cannot express my disapointment. Any ideas would be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks.

GrOz.

Sounds like your crossovers need to be refreshed with newer parts as they have deteriorated over the years. In addition, the tweeters may need fresh diaphrams too if they are 25-30 years old. With a little investment you can bring them back to 100%+!

Speakers are well sealed in the corners. I notice that the specs do actually show a droopy treble. The speakers sound fine in isolation (though lacking in air and a bit light), compare them with almost any other good speaker and suddenly you hear all the things that they are (or more accurately are not) doing. They fill the room well and image OK but sound a bit opaque when compared with other speakers. Dynamics etc are excellent, its just that they sound like a very big small speaker !!.

I thought about supertweeters and subs but then I'm still stuck with the opaque midband............

I just hope someone here can help because they look excellent in the room.

Cheers .

Paul.

Jim,

Congratulations on the K-Horns. I am certain that you will love them. I would suggest that initially, do not worry about changing them. Just enjoy them!

Although, do follow the advice about properly placing them in corners and try to get the listening chair to form an right triangle. (the first issue is quite important).

-Enjoy ....

P Groz,

First off, do not panic! As pointed out above there is not much music above 17kHz and secondly you quite probably do not have much hearing up there either. I assume you are a male and past adolesence. I also assume that perhaps you have worked with power tools, listened to live pop music, ridden motorcycles .... Well the bad news is that you may not have the high frequency hearing that you used to have. If you are using a test tone and noticing that it is not as loud when you go up to 17kHz, that could be your hearing, it could be the speakers, or it could be limited bandwidth on some of the electronics (unlikely, but are you using a tube equipment ...)

Regarding the low frequency bass. This could easily be room acoustics. The wavelengths are quite long and these are not easily broken up by drapes and carpet etc. Try a narrow band of noise instead of a tone or listen/measure at other locations. Actually I have gotten ahead of myself, first determine if the K-Horns are set up properly: tight in a corner. This is a must.

Good luck,

-Tom