What Are You Paying For Gas ?

sunburnwilly

Saratoga Springs, N.Y. reg. unld. $2.45 a gallon...............Let me repeat myself again, we didn't learn anything in the 70's with gas lines, and NO gas, then again in the 80's with the first round of gas price increases, and now, don't hear as much complaining like when it was $3.00 a gallon, it will be back up there, just a matter of time........................

By asking this, I'm probably just joining in w/ the rest of the people that complain about it, but didn't the war in Iraq have some effect on the relatively quick rise in gas prices? I remember in August of 2003, just before I moved from NH, gas prices were still around 1.50-1.65, apx. Then within what seemed like a relatively short period of time (lets say 6 months?), the prices skyrocketed. I haven't looked at any timeline, but was there something specific that happened with the war during that time, that would've caused the prices to go up? I realize it's hard to pin point a cause, but it seems like ever since the war started, gas has gone up and never gone down to what it was before the war. I guess my overall point is, I wish the price would go down and level off. But it wont. [:)]

The connection is that production from Iraq was cut way back, and has never quite recovered, which has caused supply worries. More lastingly, the general uncertainty in the middle east has caused supply worries, which caused speculators to bid the price above what it would normally be. This has been unwinding lately and hence the price has come down. Other reasons have also been factors, but basically yes you are right that the war has had an effect on prices.

I think that GREED is the major factor here.

It goes along the same lines as my neighbor who, just the other day was bragging about how much his house was worth since he bought it 10 years ago.

I looked at his little boy as he explained this to me so proudly, wondering how in the world is his kid ever going to be able to afford a home of his own someday. The American Dream is going to be just that....a DREAM. And apparently, he must have thought his was the only house that has grossly appreciated??

Oh well.........................

Take care

Mike

USA gets very little oil from the middle east. surprisingly, we get most of our oil from canada, next i think is mexico or venezuela.

some far east countries like china are completely dependent on the mid east.

Saudi Arabia is third on the list of imports amounting to about 20% of the top five import countries from last year. Not exactly very little oil from the middle east. Plus, the price we pay is based on the world market, not just where it comes from.

USA gets very little oil from the middle east. surprisingly, we get most of our oil from canada, next i think is mexico or venezuela.

some far east countries like china are completely dependent on the mid east.

Saudi Arabia is third on the list of imports amounting to about 20% of the top five import countries from last year. Not exactly very little oil from the middle east. Plus, the price we pay is based on the world market, not just where it comes from.

to bigstewman, America has alot of oil coming from the middle east, why is that? It is rather smart of America cause its cheaper to refine the saudi oil hence light sweet, and its from the foreign country meaning you are not ripping the oil that america has out and when the middle east does dry up america still has a supply. The biggest supposed oil country - Russia. Most Canadian oil is non usable as it is in sandoil form which is not cheap to extract and refine. Mexico has big off shore oil, venuzuela is part of opec.

China is branching off to Africa and such to get their oil now. China does not have alot of oil.

I've driven 30+mpg vehicles since 1977. Have you done YOUR part to conserve and keep demand and prices low?

I get so tired of being passed by huge gas-guzzlers going 20 mph over the speed limit with 'environment' license plates....

Mike is that a personal question to me, or the Forum in General ? Every vehicle in this household gets over 20+ miles to the gallon city mileage, I make one trip to town, not 3 , and drive only when needed...................Subaru will get you through........have for over 20 years...............before someone comes back with a reference to the Porsche...............25 miles to the gallon, gotta' love fuel injection....................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[

Also some cars EFI systems will run in closed loop mode(injectors spewing a preset amount of fuel regardless of how efficiently it is being burned) until the coolant reaches normal operating temperature so driving the car before it's warmed up could use more fuel overall then waiting until the car is at temperature before cruising around.

Actually, every car sold in the US for the last 20 years or so runs in OPEN loop until certain parameters are met, engine temp being one, and "warmed up" is an over statement. When in open loop, there is fuel injected based on different programs, or maps, in the computer based on engine temp, air temp, barometric pressure, engine vacuum, air density, and other factors. Once the oxygen sensors warm up, which happens rapidly on newer (OBD II, 96 and up) vehicles, the system goes into CLOSED loop, which means the injectors put in an amount of fuel based on if the oxygen sensors indicate they had just previously put in too much or too little for optimum efficiency or performance, whichever the driver is requiring at the moment. (And really, "spew" is nothing like what happens when pulse rate is controlled in milleseconds.)

Just for grins and giggles, I just went out and did a cold start on a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville. Start up coolant temp was 18, intake air temp was 18. At 1 minute, 7 seconds it went closed loop, with a coolant temp of 68 degrees and air temp of 20.

I believe most of us that warm up vehicles for 5 minutes just want to have some heat in there before we start driving, aside from the safety factor of exhaling humid air from our lungs onto a 15 degree windshield causing frost on the inside of the windshield, then scraping off the frost while still trying to see enough to drive through the one little spot near the dash that is still clear, invariably on the passenger side of the car anyway. [:D]

Today is $1.99 in town, was $2.02 in Minneapolis yesterday and $1.99 100 miles south in Albert Lea, MN

I've driven 30+mpg vehicles since 1977. Have you done YOUR part to conserve and keep demand and prices low?

The car I had before the own I drive now was a 94' Eagle Talon (non-turbo) with a 2.0L DOHC 16V engine with a 4-speed automatic. When I bought it new the window sticker said it it would get an average of 27MPG on the highway. With a little tire pressure adjustment and engine tinkering (and no ill effects to either) I'm proud to say that the little girl is still getting 42..yes, 42 MPG @ 85+MPH!! and has over 120k miles on it. The aerodynamics of it is incredible.

My 3.2L V-6 doesn't get that good but I'm workin' on it....it did get me 36MPG to Indy when the sticker said 28MPG.

The car I had before the own I drive now was a 94' Eagle Talon (non-turbo) with a 2.0L DOHC 16V engine with a 4-speed automatic. When I bought it new the window sticker said it it would get an average of 27MPG on the highway. With a little tire pressure adjustment and engine tinkering (and no ill effects to either) I'm proud to say that the little girl is still getting 42..yes, 42 MPG @ 85+MPH!! and has over 120k miles on it. The aerodynamics of it is incredible.

My 3.2L V-6 doesn't get that good but I'm workin' on it....it did get me 36MPG to Indy when the sticker said 28MPG.

Can you share your engine tinkering tips, or are they top secret? [;)]

I get so tired of being passed by huge gas-guzzlers going 20 mph over the speed limit with 'environment' license plates....

v v v v v v v v v v v v v rooooom,[8-|]

have a blessed day,

roy delgado