What Are You Paying For Gas ?

sunburnwilly

This was related to me by someone in the oil business - You should always use the Premium, Super, or whatever they brand the highest octane gas. The highest octane gas has always been just that, but the lower grades have been octane revived from dirty gas by adding clean high octane gas. Have you ever thought it strange that there are different grades of gas? Most think they were intentionally made different to provide a selection. The real reason is that it allows a way for the distribution facility to sell what would otherwise be a product loss. Here is why:

The gas at the pump is delivered by a truck full of gas grades. That truck gets the gas from a local distribution facility that has tanks of the various products they distribute, including gasoline. The distribution facility gets it's gas from the refinery. The distribution facility receives all kinds of products - heavy grease, lubes, oils, and gasoline, and other stuff. The delivery from the refinery to the tanks is through a common pipe. When new high octane gasoline is delivered it is first run through the pipe to clean it out and this wash gas is put in a side tank. This side tank holds the wash gas. When the pipe runs clean it is switched to fill the high octane tank. This is the clean high octane gas that will go to the filling station pumps as Premium, Super, or whatever.

As different products are delivered to the distribution facility the common pipe gets cleaned and used over and over, and the holding tank that collects the wash gas loses octane from contamination with lubes and grease - it can get down to about 60 octane. In order to sell this gas, the facility adds clean high octane gas from the clean tank until the wash gas reaches the octane levels that corresponds to 87 or 89 or whatever. Then it is put in the compartments of the delivery trucks and delivered to the filling stations along with the clean gas.

So, the highest octane gas has always been high octane, clean and pure. It's a good value. It's also what the gas mileage tests use.

The lower grades have been somewhat contaminated, then revived back up to octane spec, but possibly still a little dirty.

This was related to me by someone in the oil business - You should always use the Premium, Super, or whatever they brand the highest octane gas. The highest octane gas has always been just that, but the lower grades have been octane revived from dirty gas by adding clean high octane gas. Have you ever thought it strange that there are different grades of gas? Most think they were intentionally made different to provide a selection. The real reason is that it allows a way for the distribution facility to sell what would otherwise be a product loss. Here is why:

The gas at the pump is delivered by a truck full of gas grades. That truck gets the gas from a local distribution facility that has tanks of the various products they distribute, including gasoline. The distribution facility gets it's gas from the refinery. The distribution facility receives all kinds of products - heavy grease, lubes, oils, and gasoline, and other stuff. The delivery from the refinery to the tanks is through a common pipe. When new high octane gasoline is delivered it is first run through the pipe to clean it out and this wash gas is put in a side tank. This side tank holds the wash gas. When the pipe runs clean it is switched to fill the high octane tank. This is the clean high octane gas that will go to the filling station pumps as Premium, Super, or whatever.

As different products are delivered to the distribution facility the common pipe gets cleaned and used over and over, and the holding tank that collects the wash gas loses octane from contamination with lubes and grease - it can get down to about 60 octane. In order to sell this gas, the facility adds clean high octane gas from the clean tank until the wash gas reaches the octane levels that corresponds to 87 or 89 or whatever. Then it is put in the compartments of the delivery trucks and delivered to the filling stations along with the clean gas.

So, the highest octane gas has always been high octane, clean and pure. It's a good value. It's also what the gas mileage tests use.

The lower grades have been somewhat contaminated, then revived back up to octane spec, but possibly still a little dirty.

Uhh maybe that person in the oil business should find a new job with a statement like that. Octane, is an additive to reduce knock. It is added to gasoline and not found in the gasoline prior to adding it into the mixture. There are common misconceptions about octane. Everyone believes it has more energy. Actually regular gas 87 grade min has the most potential energy than 93/94. The thing is octane reduces pre ignition and knocking. When the engine has less knock it can adjust the fuel mixture to run a higher compression and leaner fuel (more air to fuel) the problem is if the engine knocks you can damage the engine when running lean and higher compressions. Hence why performance cars require premium. In europe there is 98 octane fuel. Nascar runs 110 leaded fuel. Prior to adding octane lead was used which was as sort of octane to reduce knocking but everyone knows it is unsafe to use lead.

Second the talk of a common pipe. I would believe that that is false information. To refine oil into the various products, one actually cooks the oil. And sorta of what happens is like the 3rd grade science project where you get syrup, water, and oil and each liquid tends to settle into their own zone. The heaviest on the bottom, and the lightest on the top. When they cook the crude oil (light sweet if it is from arabia, which produces the most percentage of usable gasoline hence why arabia oil is most valuable) the heaviest oil goes to the bottom (the motor oil etc) and gasoline is in the middle, and methane gas and natural gas tend to float to the top. And engineers made the refinery plants in a consistant way where they can extract each particular oil by product out from each "zone" sort of like a straw extracting just that certain zone. This is an ongoing process that refines the oil as more oil is heated in the same container. When they extract the gasoline, they get one "grade" of gasoline. Then they split it into the three most common grades. That is when they add the octane and detergeants in the gasoline. So whatever the person in the oil business claims, he is trying to make everyone buy the most expensive brand and probably heard it from higher up and thought it was logical. They would not allow all the oils to come from a common pipeline due to the amount of parts per million allowable excess allowed by governments. America and Europe being more critical. There are certain allowable amounts of byproduct in the gasoline just like the allowable amount of byproducts allowed by the FDA for food and drugs.

BTW the reason why the name brand gasolines are expensiver is A they are franchised, B they are name brands, and C they tend to have a more consistant oil and they tend to have more detergeants (that costs more) to help keep your engine cleaner over time.

i have a '99 chevy silverado--twice right after buying the truck, my fuel injectors clogged up. took it back to the dealer and they asked if i was using cheap gas. i said no, i was using chevron. they told me not to use chevroon and not to use super unleaded. i'm not a mechanic, so much of his explanation went over my head--i understood the don't use chevron part. i haven't used it since and haven't had a problem since. he said there was some issue with some additive they put in their gas and it only affected two years of the silverado engines.

i have a '99 chevy silverado--twice right after buying the truck, my fuel injectors clogged up. took it back to the dealer and they asked if i was using cheap gas. i said no, i was using chevron. they told me not to use chevroon and not to use super unleaded. i'm not a mechanic, so much of his explanation went over my head--i understood the don't use chevron part. i haven't used it since and haven't had a problem since. he said there was some issue with some additive they put in their gas and it only affected two years of the silverado engines.

It could be the detergeants and additive or the mtbe (sp) that everyone use to use.