What Are You Paying For Gas ?

sunburnwilly

Nic,

I was talking to my sister the other day and she said they bought a new car. they wanted to get something better on gas than there Hummer[:D]. They also have a GMC sonoma 4x4. So what do you think they bought?

Well, it is a 350Z.[^o)] I guess it would be better than the Hummer on gas as long as you can keep your foot out of the floor.[6]

Steve

Well made it to Houston and Regular is at 2.999. Filled up the truck with deisel at 2.719 and saw it for 2.679 up the road a bit.[:(]

Michael (colterphoto) I will have to dissagree with you about the ones of us that drive (gas hogs) are causing this problem. I need my trucks and should I have to go out and buy two vehicles and only drive the truck when it is needed. If I'm willing to put gas in it why shouldn't I drive what I want. That would be like saying you shouldn't own big speakers when these tiny little cubes will put out sound also and they take up so much less space.[:P]

Steve

Steve, (and Royster) I don't want to get into a flame war with Forum folks, and have no problem with people who must have a large truck (or semi) for work purposes. What I find troubling is the auto industry creating a 'need' for SUV's for the mass population and doing everything possible to subvert the fleet fuel economy standards. Without getting too political, our government saw a problem during the fuel embargo in the 70's (remember that mess?), set standards for the average vehicle produced, intending to up the average mileage by consumers, lessening relieance on foreign petrol sources. In my mind, the auto industry did everything possible to work around these mandated standards. There should be ways of producing much better mileage in the average consumer's auto. Heck, one forum member boosted his from 30 to 40 mpg- very cool.

Perhaps we have all been fooling ourselve with prices lower than they should have been for the past few decades. Fuel has been plentiful and was only $1 a gallon a decade ago. My take on it is that if all of us (manufacturers included) had really put a concentrated effort into producing better vehicles and driving slightly more efficient vehicles (ie, single folks in 14 mpg enormous vehicles for the daily commute) , the country would be in considerably better situation today.

Perhaps I'm being less than humble when I state that I think I've done my part, driving high mileage vehicles during this entire time. Heck, even Honda hasn't gotten any better MPG, my 2005 get the same as my 1996 Accord. We're all going to pay for this in the long run. I'm stuck paying the high price that other folks are.

Insofar as my number of 'home systems' go, are we talking about my stereos? There's usually only one on at a time if that's a concern to people here. I think the watts consumed are pretty minimal, all told. I do have comfortable, efficient radient heat in my home. Yes, my home is spacious, but I also run my business here- no commute at all so you don't have me on that point. No, I don't live in a log cabin and hunt my own food, but if we all had taken a little more care over the past 30 years, maybe this country wouldn't be in such a mess.

Fuel problems will lead to increased trucking costs for every item we consume. Food prices can skyrocket. If something is not done, I fear that we might see inflation unrivaled in our lifetimes.

Or maybe my blood pressure would be best served by staying off the current events items.

Respectfully,

Michael

Michael -

I have been preaching (yeah, preaching) for people to pay attention to energy efficiency - in vehicles and everything else, for several years now.

There are, of course, many idealistic reasons for my opinions, but one cuts to the chase, and works for everyone: YOUR WALLET. It is in everyone's financial best interest to persue energy efficiency.

I have refrained from purchasing any "high fuel usage" vehicles. If I need one, I'll rent one, on those rare occasions they are necessary. I'm waiting for the auto industry (namely Toyota, as they are close to a full hybrid line) to get the more fuel efficient vehicles out. I'm thinking that any old style truck will be "impractical" to own, due to high energy costs.....they are getting that way now.

We have been fooling ourselves. The US pays the LEAST per unit of gasoline. The US is simply catching up with everyone else in terms of gas prices. We always pay less than others, due to political advantage and lower taxes, but we are catching up with others on the wholesale prices.

I don't expect this to change. Yes, there may be a temporary (3 to 6 month term) where the prices fall some, once the refineries and distribution problems are worked out in the US gulf. However, given the WORLD demand/supply scenario, this trend of increasing oil prices will be here to stay.

I doubt we will see sub - $2.50 per gallon gasoline ever again.

There are MANY other ways that the US collectively wastes energy and resources (think about our disposable lifestyles). That's another reason I am such a bastid when it comes to manufactured products and build quality. I think that if you are building a product, we owe it to the customer and the planet to make that item as useful as it can be for as long as possible (like Mac amps and klipsch speakers). To build an item takes energy. That could be those paper plates, plastic cups, and other "throwaway" items that never used to be "throwaway". We have become so good at building disposable junk, that nothing seems like it is made to last more than a year anymore. Hell, we even build DISPOSABLE CAMERAS to take 20 pictures!?!?!? Oh, BTW - what's the most "durable" good manufactured today? That plastic bottle that your water is packaged in - those are here FOREVER......but we just throw them away.........

Well made it to Houston and Regular is at 2.999. Filled up the truck with deisel at 2.719 and saw it for 2.679 up the road a bit.[:(]

Michael (colterphoto) I will have to dissagree with you about the ones of us that drive (gas hogs) are causing this problem. I need my trucks and should I have to go out and buy two vehicles and only drive the truck when it is needed. If I'm willing to put gas in it why shouldn't I drive what I want. That would be like saying you shouldn't own big speakers when these tiny little cubes will put out sound also and they take up so much less space.[:P]

Steve

Steve, (and Royster) I don't want to get into a flame war with Forum folks, and have no problem with people who must have a large truck (or semi) for work purposes. What I find troubling is the auto industry creating a 'need' for SUV's for the mass population and doing everything possible to subvert the fleet fuel economy standards. Without getting too political, our government saw a problem during the fuel embargo in the 70's (remember that mess?), set standards for the average vehicle produced, intending to up the average mileage by consumers, lessening relieance on foreign petrol sources. In my mind, the auto industry did everything possible to work around these mandated standards. There should be ways of producing much better mileage in the average consumer's auto. Heck, one forum member boosted his from 30 to 40 mpg- very cool.

Perhaps we have all been fooling ourselve with prices lower than they should have been for the past few decades. Fuel has been plentiful and was only $1 a gallon a decade ago. My take on it is that if all of us (manufacturers included) had really put a concentrated effort into producing better vehicles and driving slightly more efficient vehicles (ie, single folks in 14 mpg enormous vehicles for the daily commute) , the country would be in considerably better situation today.

Perhaps I'm being less than humble when I state that I think I've done my part, driving high mileage vehicles during this entire time. Heck, even Honda hasn't gotten any better MPG, my 2005 get the same as my 1996 Accord. We're all going to pay for this in the long run. I'm stuck paying the high price that other folks are.

Insofar as my number of 'home systems' go, are we talking about my stereos? There's usually only one on at a time if that's a concern to people here. I think the watts consumed are pretty minimal, all told. I do have comfortable, efficient radient heat in my home. Yes, my home is spacious, but I also run my business here- no commute at all so you don't have me on that point. No, I don't live in a log cabin and hunt my own food, but if we all had taken a little more care over the past 30 years, maybe this country wouldn't be in such a mess.

Fuel problems will lead to increased trucking costs for every item we consume. Food prices can skyrocket. If something is not done, I fear that we might see inflation unrivaled in our lifetimes.

Or maybe my blood pressure would be best served by staying off the current events items.

Respectfully,

Michael

I have to respectfully disagree, the auto industry Did Not create a 'need' for SUV's and do everything possible to subvert the fleet fuel economy standards, they simply produce what sales . . .

In a time of cheap gas and economic prosperity, it is very hard to cram an econobox down the throat of the new car buyer . . . I jokingly have to ask, "why anyone would buy high end audio gear, did the manufactures 'create a need' ?"

I have to respectfully disagree, the auto

industry Did Not create a 'need' for SUV's and do everything possible

to subvert the fleet fuel economy standards, they simply produce what

sales . . .

In a time of cheap gas and economic prosperity, it

is very hard to cram an econobox down the throat of the new car buyer .

. . I jokingly have to ask, "why anyone would buy high end audio gear,

did the manufactures 'create a need' ?"

I agree with this - the auto industry builds what people want to

buy. Auto makers introduce many different models of cars -

some disappear after a year or two, sales failures.

The Ford Explorer was so wildly popular, and sold so well, other

automakers simply produced models of their own. The profit

was also high because most SUVs, like the Explorer, were based on

existing light-duty truck frames such as the Ford Ranger.

With higher gas prices, people will again want fuel-efficient vehicles. And the cycle continues.

Yesterday $3.49 for premium . In my area , pump then pay has pretty much dissapeared . You either pay with your credit or debit card at the pump , or go inside pay cash then pump . From what I can recolect this started back in May , to combat a high drive off rate . So now I just put in $20.00 whenever my tank is half full ; or is that half empty . [au]

3.39 for premium and 3.09 for regular.

It cost $115.00 to fill my wife's Suburban last evening.

Astonishing - for once California has significantly cheaper gas prices

than NYS. $3.59 for regular is about the cheapest I have

seen or heard in WNY.

"Cheaper" is also highly relative. A year ago we'd be outraged at

$3.09. The economic fallout will be considerable from

this.

I had a Suburban once it was the most useful and comfortable vehicle I

have ever owned and still regret selling. Then I bought a used

LandRover Discovery because it was such a good deal but even sold it

because it loved gas stations. I hate to think what I would be spending

to fill that puppy now. When things level out I wil be purchasing a

used vw golf tdi I believe they get about 40mpg.

BTW OS X users switch from Safari to Firefox the new features are enabled with it otherwise no quote or cool formatting tools

I had a Suburban once it was the most useful and comfortable vehicle I

have ever owned and still regret selling. Then I bought a used

LandRover Discovery because it was such a good deal but even sold it

because it loved gas stations. I hate to think what I would be spending

to fill that puppy now. When things level out I wil be purchasing a

used vw golf tdi I believe they get about 40mpg.

For the record, the TDI model VW's all get 50mpg.... I nearly bought a

Beetle TDI, not because I wanted a Beetle, but because I wanted a TDI

and didn't want to pay new price for it....

Yesterday $3.19, $3.29, and $3.39. I last filled up the Land

Cruiser at $2.84, and that cost a touch over $60. Much as I like

this truck, I've been

thinking of selling it for a while, simply because I don't get much

chance to use it for what it's really made to do. Now it's

actually for

sale.

Oh, over $30 to fill a BMW Z3. [:o]