What Are You Paying For Gas ?

sunburnwilly

Unld. Reg. $2.51 a gallon...................Saratoga Springs, New York................way too high, too much tax in this state I guess......It's all such a joke anyway, who's kidding who here????

Come on now, OB, those oil company guys need to make some money too, don't they? Heck, Exxon Mobils' profit of 10, 000,000,000 dollars in the third quarter of 06 isn't really that much. Only 111,111,111 dollars a day, or 4,629,628 dollars an hour. A meager 77,160 dollars a minute, for a full three months, 24/7. They need to put bread on the table and shoes on their kids feet too, don't you agree? And as far as I know, that is true profit, money in the bank account, AFTER paying costs for payroll, insurance, inventory, speculative drilling, bonuses, advertising and toilet paper for the offices.

(Technically, it was only 9.9 billion, but makes for easier math to round up.) [:'(]

Unld. Reg. $2.51 a gallon...................Saratoga Springs, New York................way too high, too much tax in this state I guess......It's all such a joke anyway, who's kidding who here????

Come on now, OB, those oil company guys need to make some money too, don't they? Heck, Exxon Mobils' profit of 10, 000,000,000 dollars in the third quarter of 06 isn't really that much. Only 111,111,111 dollars a day, or 4,629,628 dollars an hour. A meager 77,160 dollars a minute, for a full three months, 24/7. They need to put bread on the table and shoes on their kids feet too, don't you agree? And as far as I know, that is true profit, money in the bank account, AFTER paying costs for payroll, insurance, inventory, speculative drilling, bonuses, advertising and toilet paper for the offices.

(Technically, it was only 9.9 billion, but makes for easier math to round up.) [:'(]

I'm Sorry, how selfish of me, your right, please forgive my foolishness..................................[;)].....................

So.......does the "oil company" decide ob's taxes on gas? He's payin' 70+ cents a gallon more than me.I don't think Exxon or Mobile can stop it if someone else wants to invest a zillion dollars and sell gas to us.If they make so much $ everyone can do their part to use less,that'll show em'.I don't have a penny invested in oil,but wish I did.I'm always surprised that big biz gets bashed so much,they won't be here forever and when they are gone they will be missed by people wishing they still had their job.Last,oil companies DON'T set the price,the market determines this as it should be in a free market,less demand(more eff.use) = cheaper price.

Did anyone REALLY THINK it was going to be good for the consumer when Exxon and Mobil merged? Gas was always cheaper here because we used more, boy have things changed. It doesn't matter what you think, you will pay the price..............period. There's always a reason for them to raise the price, and it doesn't start in this country. Part of this whole thing is our fault, we didn't learn anything in the 70's.Oh yeah, some of you weren't born yet, sorry....................

So.......does the "oil company" decide ob's taxes on gas? He's payin' 70+ cents a gallon more than me.I don't think Exxon or Mobile can stop it if someone else wants to invest a zillion dollars and sell gas to us.If they make so much $ everyone can do their part to use less,that'll show em'.I don't have a penny invested in oil,but wish I did.I'm always surprised that big biz gets bashed so much,they won't be here forever and when they are gone they will be missed by people wishing they still had their job.Last,oil companies DON'T set the price,the market determines this as it should be in a free market,less demand(more eff.use) = cheaper price.

well not when the oil companies pay third parties to bid the oil prices up on the stock market

I forgot about the guys in the "grassy knole" I suppose none of those guys will ever testify because "big oil" will knock em' off,lol.I'll add I don't like paying too much either so....quit using so much gas,world.

Did anyone REALLY THINK it was going to be good for the consumer when Exxon and Mobil merged? Gas was always cheaper here because we used more, boy have things changed. It doesn't matter what you think, you will pay the price..............period. There's always a reason for them to raise the price, and it doesn't start in this country. Part of this whole thing is our fault, we didn't learn anything in the 70's.Oh yeah, some of you weren't born yet, sorry....................

Wrong OB. Gas was always cheaper here because we don't tax the hell out of it like everywhere else (obviously you can't count producers like Venezuela). Remember Ross Perot? he wanted to tax gasoline which would have raised the price back then, shocked the economy, but would have also led to good ole' US ingenuity to find a better way by now. We pay less than any other major player in the world economy, that's why we are still dependent. Not just dependent, but because of the not in my backyard mentality, we are dependent on foreign oil because its not allowed to be drilled here in proven places. It gets even worse, as for example wind power is great for everyone right? No, not in the backyard of Martha's Vineyard! Spoil the spoiled brats view? Not there, lets fight about it. Sometimes (yes this is a digression) I wonder if the country's rich wouldn't mind running everything on Soylent Gas (a parallel to Soylent Green) as long as the processing factory is somewhere far from them, and therefore closer to the "source" anyway.

Jay, the price was bid up by speculators, oil did not have to pay them to do it. It's done on the commodities market, not stock, and involves futures, options, options on futures, etc. The hedge funds that all your rich friends daddies are so proud of are a big part of this, they will also suffer a big part when their bets go sour. Not to single you out, just an example. I don't know if you have rich friends, rich friends with daddies in hedge funds, or even if your daddy is in hedge funds.

I forgot about the guys in the "grassy knole" I suppose none of those guys will ever testify because "big oil" will knock em' off,lol.I'll add I don't like paying too much either so....quit using so much gas,world.

good one fish. Supply and demand ultimately decide, with weirdness in between. I have been to the grassy knoll lots of times, still think the front shooter was from the drainage outlet at curb level and ran away through the pipes to a getaway car.

To the best of my knowledge, the taxes paid on gas go to the state or federal accounts, not the oil producers, so the taxes have no bearing on the profits. I do not begrudge anyone making a profit; I'm a small business owner myself. However, when the profits made by Exxon are higher in one quarter than those of 492 other companies in the Fortune 500 FOR THE YEAR combined, I smell something fishy. If it were based simply on demand, why wouldn't grocery stores or lumber yards near New Orleans be making similar profit margins? Because there are laws in place to prevent price gouging. Lots of stories about people being arrested for trying to sell generators or what have you in hurricane areas for many times normal price. That's simple supply and demand, is it not? But when goverment officials have a background in and likely still have good personal friends in the oil business, somehow those same laws get overlooked.

I agree, we need to cut down on usage. We need to wean ourselves off of foriegn fuel. We need to find alternate sources of energy, and implement the use of energy sources we are already capable of using but don't for political reasons. We should be paying a lot more than we are for gas, much like the rest of the world. All good points, and all true. But the fact remains, big oil is taking us all to the cleaners with Uncle Sams assistance.

2006subsidy.jpg

I'd venture to guess that if I could get the goverment to subsidise my operating costs, regardless of if I needed the money or not, my quarterly profits would go up considerably.

And this morning regular unleaded was down to $1.94 at all three stations in town. [:D]

Ctbb,I build for a living,all in the same year I paid 3.99 for 7/16" osb,I also paid 18.99 for the same 7/16"osb.Was I being gouged? It sure felt like it but......supplies got very low due to things all over the world and the market decided we can get what ever we ask up to a certain amount.I felt like calling for an investigation myself but when demand lessened and supplies grew it came back down,free market.The reason supplies increased was in part due to the fact that companies that make osb said man we need to be able to make more,these prices are great for us.The industry started making more,demand dropped and prices come back inline.The moral is,drill more oil,use less,develope alternatives and we'll see if the fat cats can eat their oil.

Wrong OB. Gas was always cheaper here because we don't tax the hell out of it like everywhere else (obviously you can't count producers like Venezuela). Remember Ross Perot? he wanted to tax gasoline which would have raised the price back then, shocked the economy, but would have also led to good ole' US ingenuity to find a better way by now. We pay less than any other major player in the world economy, that's why we are still dependent. Not just dependent, but because of the not in my backyard mentality, we are dependent on foreign oil because its not allowed to be drilled here in proven places. It gets even worse, as for example wind power is great for everyone right? No, not in the backyard of Martha's Vineyard! Spoil the spoiled brats view? Not there, lets fight about it. Sometimes (yes this is a digression) I wonder if the country's rich wouldn't mind running everything on Soylent Gas (a parallel to Soylent Green) as long as the processing factory is somewhere far from them, and therefore closer to the "source" anyway.

I've had Silent Gas before, it's deadly.

My fiance's dad owns diesel cars that have been converted to run on used vegetable oil.

Pretty nice to be able to drive around for free.

He just has to go to a few resturants every other weekend or so and fill up his storage buckets and then spend an hour or two to filter it in his garage.

Not really much in the way of conversion either, the only thing really needed in his suburban and jetta are some heaters to keep the veggie liquid in the canadian winters and a seperate tank and stuff.