What it is your Number 1 Favorite Movie you watch?

thxsubwoofers

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too early for Christmas but "It's a wonderful life" is my all time favorite. A lot of great lessons in it too. I have a huge collection of IAWL movie memorabilia. Might get bigger as time goes on.

For special effect, soundtracks.. Superbit version of "The 5th Element.."

Anything Disney/pixar (we have little kids)

The usual, too, like the matrix, star wars, original and later version of Oceans 11 ( 12 sucked) I love movies where you get lost in them.... and they twist you to think too. Fox series 24 for example.. It is so funny how some movies of your youth stand up in time..(Wizard of Oz.) and some look so dated and funny too. ( Purple Rain).

Sorry to Ramble.." It's a wonderful life" is my answer.

Most "fun" movie often overlooked.. "That Thing You Do" Tom Hanks really did a great masterpiece here!!

It's probably not on anybody's feelgood list, but, having grown up in

the south, having known those types of people at one time or another,

and having backpacked in remote areas during my younger days, I

resonate strongly to, and therefore cast my nomination for

"Deliverance."

The screenplay was written by the author, James Dickey, who also played

the sheriff in the movie, so the movie is quite true to the original story. If

you enjoyed the movie, you will like the book also, which I recommend.

Well, as the potato chip ad says, "Betcha can't eat just one".

But if I had to pick just one, it would be "Jaws".

If a martian came to my doorstep and wanted to know about Hollywood and it's movies, this is the one I would grab. It has all of the basic ingredients for a classic film: Heroes and villains/good v. evil (in several interlayed forms), a story everyone can relate to, great filmmaking, outstanding soundtrack (John Williams is THE BEST) and an excellent cast.

"Jaws" is basic, yet sooooo well executed. With exception to the mechanical shark (which doesn't look as such), there's no fancy techniques here, just all of the basics which make a great film. Story, camera angles, characters, and skills shown aren't advanced stuff - it's just great filmmaking without the fluff. I think that the film benefits from the fact that Spielberg has not yet made "the big time", in that this wasn't an unlimited budget film. they had to do well with the SKILLS of filmmaking without the high tech/high budget....and I think that was an advantage. It would be easy to "over-do" this had the film first been made, say three years ago - and much more expensive to duplicate that cast.

I think the scene where Quint (Robert Shaw) tells the story of the USS Indianapolis is the greatest scene in filmmaking ever. Just - WOW.

One of my favorites is Le Mans - not a word of dialogue until about 10

minutes into the film. Steve McQueen's 1970 tribute to the battle

between the Porsche 917 and the Ferrari 512.

And now for something completely different - Robert Redford's Milagro

Beanfield War. Not sure if he directed this one before or after

Ordinary People, but it's great fun. Its got Sonja Braga and one

of the main characters is a Pancho Villa type ghost.

Unfortunately not available on DVD

Three Days of the Condor. Now 30 years old, but surprisingly prescient.

Day of the Jackal. Suspense tour d' force starring Terrence Fox

The original Thomas Crown Affair - (avoid the Pierce Brosnan (sp?) remake) Steve McQueen & Fay Dunaway.

As long as I'm on Steve McQueen, check out The Sand Pebbles.

James

While shoping at Costco today I spotted my favorite Hitchcock movie North By Northwest and snagged it . I can usually check it out from the library whenever I want to , but at a price of $8.99 I had to have it ! A few months ago I was scoping out the DVD on ebay and with shiping I would have spent more than $20.00 , on a used copy . I was so tickled by the deal I got that I just had to share ! [Y][Y]

post-18289-13819273668882_thumb.jpg