I want to do a network "roadshow", anyone interested?

Deang

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way to do this I suppose is to send me an email through the forum with your full name, shipping address, speaker type, and current network. I will compile a list and put it in the box when I ship it to the first person.

Email sent...don't have the greatest faith in the forum sending email based on past experience. Please respond back if you have a chance just to let me know you got it.

Thanks for doing this! I am really excited to see how a new and improved set sounds compared to my tired old stock pair.

So you would be shipping a pair of crossovers (modified LHA ?) to the

first guy on a list, who auditions and sends them to the second and so

on?

I'm definately interested if there's a Canadian branch to this

journey! I'm looking to eventually upgrade my (now updated) KHorn

AA. Is this the crossover Kudret just assembled?

But I'm confused because you mentionned Klipschorn/LaScala/Belle early

on, then people spoke of Cornwalls and you mentionned that Jeff has

this crossover, and Jeff now has Cornwalls and not KHorns. So... which

is it again? Two separate roadshows?

Yeah, I'm interested.

I'm running BEC A/AA in my Belles now, and am absolutely interested in a higher end sample. This is definitely on my "to-do" list. Take as long as you need to get to me.....But I would like to "get in the queue", please......and if I like them, I will order a pair at some point. It seems the logical step, especially since I've had the BEC's for a while.

I've heard some high end networks in other setups, but never my own. It would sure be nice to know whether or not I want them BEFORE spending the money..........[:)]

We'll just call the Cornwall version the Super B. Jeff Lessard is currently using this network, and Boomac has a set that he's getting ready to load up.

As Dean said, I built a "Super B". To me it's a big improvement over the B. It makes the squawker less hot. It also allow the CW to play other things that the typical "audiophile approved but boring as hell" type of crap.

On a side note, I built it with the Solens in my case but I don't think it will be the final caps. Nonetheless, I was surprised at the level of improvement conditioning the caps made.

"As Dean said, I built a "Super B". To me it's a big improvement over

the B. It makes the squawker less hot. It also allow the CW to play

other things that the typical "audiophile approved but boring as hell"

type of crap. ".

Jeff ole buddy, can you build me a "Super B" for my Cornies?

psg -- yes, that's the way it will work. Yes, there will be two sets of networks: one set for the Cornwallers, and one set for everyone else.

Sunburnwilly -- What I sent back to you is a pair of rebuilt "Type AA's", but it does have the tweeter filter from this network. It's really just a tweaked AA tweeter filter. The second cap is changed to 4uF and the inductor to .15mH. Your networks still have the stock squawker circuit. Never the less, I think you'll be very pleased with the sound, especially compared to what you had. Hey, the price was right, ya think? :) A pic would still be nice, because layout and asthetics will be the same as what I'm sending out. I should have taken some pictures myself -- I was really happy with the look of them.

Craig's networks are the Mojo version. Those approach ALK territory as far as money goes. Part count is lower than the ALK, but dropping the Solen at the primary position in favor of Auricaps really jacks the price up.

Scott -- I'm sure I will add some caveats when this thing kicks off. I think three or fours days of listening should be sufficient to the get the idea of the difference it makes. I'm sure everyone will do the best they can to keep things moving. There will probably be times where they show up at someone's doorstep "at a bad time", but I'm confident everyone will do the best they can.

Neo -- please don't be annoying.

The network for the Klipschorn, LaScala, and

Belle Klipsch is a constant impedance design with a first order

bandpass for the squawker and a third order tweeter filter modeled out

for me by Al. It is the network I loaded into Trey's LaScalas at

Indy, and currently being used by Craig. I prefer to think of the

network as an impedance corrected modified Type AA. Al calls it the

Super AA. The original plan was for a build that most could afford

-- but I couldn't bring myself to compromise on the parts. After

months of driving myself nuts over this I decided to just

build up a pair with decent but inexpensive polypropylenes and

found that it sounded really, really good. Not quite as transparent and

rich sounding as the more expensive caps, but much closer than I

expected it to be. I really dig this circuit, and I want you guys to

hear it. BTW, no Solens (or rebranded Solens).

So how much is this cheaper version going to sell for?

If the roadshow doesn't come to Canada, I'd be interested based on the

eventual reviews (i.e. without hearing it for myself). Your plots

are pretty convincing that it should sound better than AA!

Hey Dean

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I too would be interested in participating in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Cornwall portion.

After replacing the caps (with stock pieces) in my 76 vertical horn Corns, I hooked them up to an old Denon AVR3300. The wife & I noticed a definite improvement but just looked at each other during certain passages and at slightly elevated volumes. We both concluded that the harshness we were hearing had to be due to the receiver or the CD player or the CD or a combination of all three. Now, after reading this and other threads about the forwardness of the Cornwall squawker with the stock network, I think that is what were we hearing. Anyhow.

Id be honored to be on the list.

Thanks Dean.

Tom