do ya ever get tired?

colterphoto1

i think alot figures into the equation. you may or may not be experiancing mild depression (anger turned inward). i am no doctor but its quite common among folks who have said good by to alchohol. its been my experiance that noone can sustain pedal to the medal indefinately. folks that liked alcohol to much experiance high highs or low lows and nothing in the middle. folks who can take or leave it go happilly down the middle of the road. ex drinkers however are either in the passing lane or the ditch. more likely to take there passions to the wall. five years seems to be the norm. then one day the shiny has rubbed off and the thrill is gone. by this time there is usually just room enough to walk through the house, this is the time to take inventory. stock liquidation is the recommended theropy. make a list of those things you can bare to part with. dont procrastinate, my experiance is that the thrill of making and completing a sale will tide you over until the thrill for the old returns or something new appears. things seem to run predictable cycles. 7's are problamatic. 7 days, 7 months, 7 years, and so on. even if you lose 75% of your investment it was time and money well spent. to quote neil young, i wanted to get done but not be done, im not done and neither are you. if you have more than 3 bad days in a row call someone. better yet, dont wait for the 3rd day, go have some bad coffee with a friend.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should make the Colter Wall of Sound out of all your

Cornwalls & Scalas in your back yard hook them all up however

you can throw on some whitesnake or hendrix [H] Talk about getting as

close to a live performance as you can......

Let us know what the neighbors think and take a pic[<:o)][ip]

I did same thing few years ago,,,,,then i found the Forum wow,,,,brought me back.There for awhile i didnt even turn my Scalas on then i got into the forum stuff.I built ALKs bought old pair of rough Ks and fixed them,got three old HK recievers.How about you making a trip to some members homes and report back on how thier system is set up,, could be cool.I wish i could find a person interested in learning this stuff but most the people i meet have no interest in this im sure you all know the look when you say Klipsch...lol...Have you ever thought about the R/C control...hobby airplanes,cars....or slotcars are cool to if you have a raceway close.Just get out and do something like go to bose store with a Klipsch shirt on,,,lol,,,,Rick

I have a friend who runs an audio store who also got burnt out with the hobby. At one point he didn't turn on his system for THREE YEARS!!! He just needed a break I suppose although that's a bit extreme.

For me, discovering jazz made all the difference in the world. There is so much new (to me) music out there that I doubt I'll burn out any time soon. However, when I find myself choosing LPs based on the recording quality, I step back and re-evaluate.

Good suggetions above. Another might be to work on the decor in your music room(s) as well as the speakers.

ugh, thanks for pointing that out Gary. I HATE my home....

DrWho is coming up to help me wire speakers and lines in the attic this weekend, then insulation, then maybe some real curtains. I've got to quit spending money on speakers and get me some chick-trapping stuff here. LOL

M

I, too, took the Audio Burn ....

stuff sat silent from '93 > 97 ...not a pilot lite was lit ....

too many work hours/ pressures, financial problems, woman trouble.....band broke up/ drummer killed.....everything at once

and just the absolute Dreck released as "music" ...did it to me

then I got into 1/4" tapes , literally Tons of tape, that i had made of

live music over the years, had a great time getting them to CD's ...........

just in time too, as the tape we all thought was "premium", Ampex ..was turning to oxide dust ....

Maybe ... You... just need a new challenge ...

perhaps ... do some Live S.R. again ...

Lord knows ... ya got the Equipment .....[:D]

Myself ....... thru the internet, found loads of new music that I actually Liked...

now .... we are Smmooookin ......[ip]

god, i hope my new nieghbors like music as much as i do.....[:P]

Michael: A few years back I was living out of a suitcase for Ford as a new vehicle launch engineer. I had an office in Dearborn, Michigan, a corporate apartment in Virginia Beach, a hotel room at the Sheraton in Kansas City and a wife and kids back here in Allen Park. I got home to see them about once every three weekends. During that time, I had access to any Ford vehicle I chose to drive, private jets, swiming pools, TV, cable, VCR, CDs, alcohol, a BBQ and a fireplace in my apartment to occupy my time. In short, all of us engineers were very busy working 16-hour days, but still very pampered. I discovered during that time that none of that stuff (perks) mattered unless I had someone meaningful to share it all with. I still feel that way today. Stuff doesn't matter: people (especially family) do. People are dynamic: they constantly change and interact. Stuff is static: it just sits there and does what you tell it and the rest is up to you.

In the summer, Mrs. Picky and I tend to leave the theater alone most weekends and instead, sit out on our deck with friends, enjoying some laughs while the stars shine above until midnite or so.Oh, we still watch a movie now and then or a TV show. But, we enjoy being outside while we can as the Winters here are long. This time of year, we tend to move things inside and share our theater with our friends. This change dynamic tends to keep us from getting bored with the hobby as a whole. Next Spring, it'll be back outside to the deck again.

Do ya ever get tired of this hobby?

Michael

You just need a new amp then everything will be fine again...

OR

Maybe you need to relax and enjoy the music as a casual listener and quit analyzing the sound all the time. Sometimes silence is just as enjoyable.

Don't give up!

Do ya ever get tired of this hobby?

Michael

You just need a new amp then everything will be fine again...

OR

Maybe you need to relax and enjoy the music as a casual listener and quit analyzing the sound all the time. Sometimes silence is just as enjoyable.

Don't give up!

There is no silence, there are all these voices in my head!

You just need more than one hobby, like me! I tend to burn out on things pretty quickly because I have what has been termed a "Obsessive Personality." Meaning I tend to focus on something to the complete exclusion of all else! My biggest help was meeting and marrying the love of my life 6 years ago, but before that I learned to have completely seperate hobbies to obsess over when I started to burn out. For me they are audio, classic Pontiacs, and Archery. Whe audio starts to lose it's attraction I either head out to the garage and tinker with my never to be finished 1969 Firebird or to the archery range to fling a few arrows. It has kept me from losing what is left of my mind!

Just a thought...

Tom, fishing, to lots of weirdos, and myself, is a sport. If it were a source of food for the family, it might be different. Many area waters have "slot" limits, where you can only keep the mid-sized, and must throw back the smaller and larger, to keep the breeding population up. The majority of trophy sized fish are breedable females, and when removed from the chain, could cause future populations to dwindle, plus the smaller ones are usually just better eats.

I mounted a 30", 10 lb. Walleye, and regret it to this day. However, and in my defense, this was from a Canadian wilderness area, where over-fishing is not an issue. Now a days, a plastic model can be duplicated from the pix, to hang on the wall for bragging purposes.

Get a kid hooked on fishing, they'll love you for it.

Patrick was the closest to the real problem that Michael is really experiencing, and I think deep down we all know this to be true but are too afraid to bring it up. IMHO poor Michael is depressed due to being single and having no significant other to share his life with (I know...I'm in the same boat too).[:(]

I'm not trying to piss Michael off or start a flame war or whatever you want to call it...I'm just stating an obvious fact (at least to my eyes); it's not his love of Klipsch or his audio equipment, or even his music or photography business that's got him down...it's simple lack of deep, loving companionship. Sure, Michael has his female friends and aquiantances, and he sure knows alot of beautiful models[;)], but he has no one to come home to to share in his daily experiences. Not just someone to bang (sex is wonderful, like icing on the cake; but you can still eat the cake and enjoy it without all the icing on it), but someone to just talk to and be close to, and laugh and cry with, and all that romantic jive! Micheal isn't getting any younger either, so add that to the equasion...just like me, I've experienced all this as well, it just hasn't made me tire of my love of music and audio...yet!

This is just my sincere and (maybe brutally) honest evaluation on Micheal's current emotional condition. I haven't had an honest relationship with a woman since I was laid off and filed bankruptcy almost 3 years ago now, and I hate coming home to an empty house (although that's not entirely true since my 2 youngest brothers now share our parent's old house with me (and with 5 cats to boot), but that's not what I mean). I truely miss coming home, kissing my girl, and telling her about my day and hearing about hers, sharing a quiet dinner together, maybe catching a flick or just sitting back enjoying good music, et al. Although my financial status totally sucks right now, this is one of my personal reasons for not persuing a member of the opposite sex at this time (being overweight and not looking like Brad Pitt is part of it too). I cannot speak for Michael or for the reasons why he's remained single, but if not having a loving relationship at this time in Michael's life is the main reason for the current funk he's in, then maybe he should swallow his pride and consider some form of help from singles organizations. Instead of hanging out at night clubs or bars, maybe Michael could check out his local church for singles-only gatherings, or even try out eHarmony.com and at least take their online tour and see if maybe this is a possible cure for his latest dulldrums! I'm too chicken to fill out a profile of myself (I've never used a dating service before), but I have considered it.

Maybe this is all you need to do to bring your life back 360 degrees, Mikey ol' boy! Although I've never met you or spoke to you...I only know of you through this forum, it's of my sincerest opinion that maybe you're tired not of your audio collection, but of your single lifestyle. My enjoyment of my own system is the only source of sanity I have right now in my life, but how I'd love to be able to share it with someone very special, and I can almost bet the farm that you would too!

Think it over, Michael, or at least prove to me that I'm wrong and way off base here. I don't mean to be disrespectful or to be poking into your personal life...it's just an honest opinion from another forum member who's just tryin' to be helpful. But if I've stepped on your toes, then please let me know! We all want to see a happy colterphoto1 once again, don't we gang?[<:o)]

What has Klipsch done to you? Keep your most prized ones, and sell off the rest.

Reminds me of fishing for trophy fish. Snap a picture with it, throw it back in the water to swim another day and provide the exitement of catching it again, to others.

"Catch & Release" with speakers, so to speak.

I agree--

When I get all tired of too much input from this world--with kids, work, computer overload, etc-- I SIMPLIFY. it seems to be a cycle. If you listen to your wife, she'll want to make it more compicated, but you have to make yourself have less to deal with. The rest you get is refreshing.

And, find something else related to Klipsch toys to find fulfillment. I've had this hobby for 40 years--but I get alot more out of the search for music instead of equipment. Costs alot less, too-- I have never gone six months without finding some revelatory music--be it metal, classical or 40 year old blues--that turns me around--

I would sell off all but the most precious pairs of speakers, put them in a new configuration in the house different than where your sustem's ever been, and go buy some music recommended in "DVDs, Music, and Movies"--

That's the ticket--