Why overkill for TV sound?

Jeff Matthews

I have seen so many posts with folks having LaScalas/Cornwalls, etc. hooked up to HT. Are they really watching movies and driving these speakers at the same time?

I'm just wondering because I got KHorns to replace my Corns on my stereo. So, I brought down the Corns to TV. I can't imagine why people would need Corns or better for this purpose.

Maybe they're listening to the stereo through the system as an all-in-one and not really driving them for TV. True? Then, I get it.

But nobody is seriously pushing these speakers to watch movies are they? It would seem like total overkill.

It's not so much about volume, it's about the effortlessness and clarity that comes from running 6 Cornwalls in my HT. No matter what the program material, I get clean, timbre matched sound that is truly awesome. Never a hint of strain - just superb, crystal clear sound. I even watch local TV through the two main Cornwalls. They truly are "the speaker of the house".

I am a big proponent of timbre matching in HT, especially for multichannel music and concert video, and since I wanted Cornwalls as the main speaker in that room, it made sense to do Cornwalls all the way around. I tried smaller models at center and surround - and while it was good, I could detect the slight difference in timbre - and the strain in the Academy vs. the Cornwalls. Once I started matching up Cornwalls that were identical to the mains, the sonic picture really sharpened, and the joy of perfect matching became evident.

Knowing what I know now, I recommend everyone else do it the same way, if space permits. I took this bit of advice from forum member HornEd, and have carried the "full sized monopole" torch ever since. If I had it to do over again, I would do the same thing. A six pack of Cornwalls in HT sounds REALLY GOOD!

In my living room, we use Fortes for the TV sound. We also use the Fortes for listening to music.

It's not overkill, it just sounds good. The Fortes are going to

sit there to play CDs, so they might as well do the TV duty too.

I mean, why would I listen to built-in TV speakers when I have a pair

of Fortes in the room?

I agree with Olorin, if they're in the room already for music why not

use them for TV/movies? While most people probably wouldn't run an amp

& speakers if all they watched was the news, if they're in there

for music & HT, why not use them for the news? With what this hobby

costs, I'll enjoy my speakers every chance I get.

AN and Olorin said it well. I also have all-CW setup and works great for 50% HT/stereo listening. If I want it loud, it's there, even soft, it's full range. Hardly need a sub but have a small one and working on bigger setup.

Psychologically, I find that it's the sound field that sucks me into the movie, not necessarily the size of the screen. I have only a 35" Sony tube tv with great color and brightness, but my CW soundfield is like 15' across- with the lights out and concentrating on the screen only like 10' away, the sound just envelopes me.

It's also great to have big system so when you listen to music, you can use the various DSP sound fields and it sounds like your'e in a jazz club or cathedral if you like that sort of thing.

Go LARGE or stay home!

Michael

I only have the 4 forte II's but with a kick a** sub. I like it for HT and also for regular TV. I think I might even go with 6 forrte II's someday when I go 6.1. When I switch between the different modes and the academy isn't used, the voices sound fuller and richer than with the modes where the academy is working also. I think the the fullness of sound is much better with larger speakers.

Not overkill. I only wish I had room in my HT room for Corns in the rear. I had to settle with three CWs in front and Heresys in the rear (but it sounds great and I'm not complaining!)

I really agree with AN about not using a lesser speaker for the center. I tried a Heresy, then two Heresys, but the whole thing didn't come together perfectly until I got a CW for the center to match the front mains.

Perfect response! My sentiments, exactly. Not set up anymore....

I do have the extra Corns. What to do? Get a cheap, decent receiver for movies and enjoy a few explosions and gunfire, or bring them back upstairs and run them to my amp along with my KHorns and have 4 speakers on my stereo?

pc speakers.

What's wrong with watching movies on nice speakers? If anyone else on here is like me, they have the volume turned up LOUD for most movies. Why not have speakers that can handle it and sound great at the same time?

Highest speed limit you'll find in the U.S. is 70mph on some interstates. Are you going to be confused by everyone who drives something other than a Geo Metro? I mean, what's the point of having a car that can do over 70mph if there isn't anywhere legally you can drive that fast?

Last year at this time I had 5 Heresys and an M&K sub for my 5.1 surround system . It sounded great . I now have 3 Belles across the front and 2 Heresys in the rear . It sounds incredible . I don't use my system when watching the news ; the TV does a fine job for that , but everything else is fair game . Hopefully next week I will have matching rears , but until I have them in my hands I'll be quiet about it . Overkill No , Natural Progression Yes !!! Lord help me if I have to move from my house to an apartment ...

Fort'e 1s as mains and Heresys for the rest. PERFECT timber match? NO, Sound great anyway? YES

That setup is about the limit in our combined living room/HT. The speakers get used for HT only.

There is a second (older) Yamaha surround receiver in the sound system

for the TV in the next room. It has 2 SR floor standers (mounted

to the ceiling) and a passive sub/sat system for the rears. Phantom

center is the only option with this receiver. Sometimes it is used for

TV, others not. Regular TV is a whole different experience in simulated

surround sound. Much more involving.

For serious music, I go with my Corns and tubes in my den/listening room.

Do you want to drive a mini-van or a Corvette to get from point A to point B? What one excites you more?

I would say get rid of the Corns and go with 6 or 7 Klipschorns. It makes a difference. Movies were always a big bore to me before home theater came along. Now I enjoy watching movies, good sound makes a big difference.

Do you eat cake without frosting?

It's not overkill at all. I can tell you that some movies can be more demanding than music. I watch movies VERY loud. Much louder than I crank music on an average basis. Blasting music gets old and fatigue sets in quickly, however movie volume varies greatly from minute to minute. One moment there's dialog, then the next a screeching car and gun blast rattles the windows.

I run my 5 Cornwalls and Subs all the time even for CNN. The bandwidth for Stereo TV sound is much better than FM and the Networks have used surround sound for years on most of their shows. Another reason would be that most HDTV shows use DD 5.1 sound. If ABC is showing Toy Story it is also in DD 5.1 (with better than DVD picture no less). Why would I want to leave that to the crappy TV speakers? If I am going to watch TV I may as well have the best sound possible.

I think the better question is why are people NOT using their kick *** systems to watch TV?

Laters,

Jeff