Poll: Do you run flat or do you tweak bass & treble?

intotubes

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

where does something like Yamaha's YPAO stand here?

It's 7 band parametric computer controlled on each channel. I run it and use it's settings. Then I tweak bass/treble slightly to taste.

I answered bass/treble, but really I guess I am running an eq. I certainly don't run my components flat right out of the box. That would take one extraordinary listening room.

Michael

Nobody here runs "flat" unless they use room treatments and EQ the response to be "flat". So, most here are all over the map -- tone controls or not.

C'mon Dean. You know what I mean...

I keep the tone controls on center. I just want to hear what the amp is doing with the speakers. Don't want to add any "interference". Of course it is a personal preference - don't want to start an argument, just curious what others do.

Nobody here runs "flat" unless they use room treatments and EQ the response to be "flat". So, most here are all over the map -- tone controls or not.

Good point Dean but you know that wasn't the intention of the poll. Many of us have no tone controls and let the room do its thing, flat or not. I have an EQ sitting on a shelf in my basement. I think my system sounds better without it although I liked it when I ran a SS receiver. Now it just takes away from the nice tube sound.

I'll tell you what would be an interesting poll. Have a combo poll.

Flat or EQ

Then:

Tube less than 50 watts

Tube greater than 50 and less than 100 watts

Tube greater than 100 watts

SS less than 50 watts

SS greater than 50 and less than 100 watts

SS greater than 100 watts

I'd bet the EQ trend is higher in the lower power range.

I used to run a 10band eq and than bought a 15band eq and haven't used it lately. Used to reduce the 125hz signal on my homebuilt khorns by 6db and boosted the 30hz band around 10db. Finally built a sub for the khorns and use the sub adjustments to suit my taste and run the rest of the khorn flat. Sure, I get a little boost in the 125hz range but with the sub I boost the lowest octave accordingly. I love the extra punch in the lowest octave and don't notice the 125hz bump anymore. Treble is just fine flat. Without the sub, I would have to run an eq. Just couldn't stand the "thin" sound without the extra lower octave boost.