Any Vinyl Guys Here?

Wardsweb

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Max. It's nothing like yours of course, but I am hoping that it will be a nice entry level TT none the less. I wonder if it will best the Rega P3/RB300/Elys2 that I had been using? Now I need to buy a VPI record cleaner, a record clamp, and a lot more vinyl. Stay tuned for my reviews in a few weeks.

Piranha, congrats!

I saw that box sitting in Gary's basement last weekend when I was over. I was trying to think of a way to take it with me when I left...didn't work.[:(]

I contacted the guy you bought it from prior to you buying it. I had no idea you were interested. Anyway, he is an odd bird to say the least.

Hope it is everything you hoped for and more. Let us know how it sounds.

The Robin seems to be a good value ($645 retail new). I found a Stereophile review that was very favorable (when aren't they?). There was, however, a response by Mr. Graham that was interesting. He said these arms were built in Japan to keep costs low. He also said they used parts that had long since been amortized. I assume he was refering to the anit-skate mechanism which is similar to my 35 yr old PL-12D.

Anyway, it looks cool with very solid, machined stainless steel bearing & sounds great - at least in combination with the TT & cartridge.

How do you like the Robin? I've heard of it, but never seen or hefted one. Graham's expensive arms are very impressive (the Vector is better IMO), so do you think this one is a good value? Thanks --

Understatement of the year! When Larry replaced his expensive Graham with the slightly more expensive Vector, the improvement was huge (which is why I bought one!). Either it is just a better arm or it mates REALLY well with the Basis tables.

Tom - Is your table set up aleady? Hurry! We need a review!!!!![:D]

Hi Charlieboy,

I'm in awe of u'r VPI table. I have a VPI HW-19 MKIII with Rega RB300 arm incognito wired,dyna 10x5 cart. I'm thinking about upgrading to the MK IV platter and SAMA motor,but I need to save up the $moola. Would I notice a huge difference with the upgrade?

Cheers,

Robert

Yup several times as it happens.

The last time was at the high end show here - it was playing with the Cain and Cain speakers I mentioned a few months back.

For some reason it never really crossed my radar screen when it came to my buying a TT. I guess you just can't cover them all - but to be honest I was going for a different look.

From what I have heard they are very good - and they certainly have both mass and presence. They are also reasonably priced in comparison to other tables of their ilk.

Hi Charlieboy,

I'm in awe of u'r VPI table. I have a VPI HW-19 MKIII with Rega RB300 arm incognito wired,dyna 10x5 cart. I'm thinking about upgrading to the MK IV platter and SAMA motor,but I need to save up the $moola. Would I notice a huge difference with the upgrade?

Cheers,

Robert

Both are worthwhile upgrades, and you should be able to "hear" the improvements. Keep your eyes on the Audiogon site for an opportunity to pick up those items. VPI has ceased production of the HW-19 line.

Klipsch out.

• Moderators

Max,

Have you ever run you Clearaudtio TT in a multiple tonearm configuration. I am looking to upgrade my TT now, but was thinking it would be cheaper in the long run to just pull the trigger on the Clearaudio with one tonearm with stereo cartridge, and then upgrade it with an additional tonearm and mono cartridge as opposed to two seperate TT, arms and cartridges.

So, from what I have seen so far, I beleive your rig is the only one capable of running multiple tonearms and was wondering if you have ever tried it?

Travis

That looks like a nice table!

With the recent addition of the stand alone flywheel, and the Symposium Ultra Platform it sits on, this VPI Aries 1 turntable delivers AWESOME performances. A listening session can never be limited to one side of an LP. Here's the covered version.

post-7998-13819283687782_thumb.jpg