How do the Belles and Cornwalls differ?

m00n

I recall a few things about the belles I had.

1) Lacking in low frequency (for my taste)

2) The highs where more layed back, not real cruncy

3) Creamy smooth midrange

Now with the cornwalls, I can assume there is not going to be any lack of low frequency response out of that 15" driver. But what is the tweeter and midrange like compared to the belle? I must admit, I hope the tweeter is a little more crisp, a little more crunch.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO the Mid/Woofer integration on the CW is its biggest problem. To me the bass sounds muddy on the CW, this held true for me even with the CW 3 we heard in Indy. Needless to say I prefer the sound of a folded horn bass to the ported direct radiator. I believe better mid horns would improve this markedly. I know Al K was tinkering with a 600HZ Trachorn for use in the CW and Belle Klipsch but I am not sure if he is going to bring this to fruition. After saying this I have to add I am making these comments comparatively speaking. I feel the CW is an excellent speaker but when compared to KH/LS/BK the bass is noticeably more distorted. The CW certainly digs deeper than either the LS or BK, no one with a pair of functioning ears can dispute that. As for a direct answer to your question the Mids on a CW are not as open and smooth as on a LS. The tweeter if you are using a CW 2 K79 driver is better than the K77 used in the CW. To me it is a little smoother but it is less efficient

Pretty much covered above. Moon, the reason that the Cornwall's midrange does not sound as open as the Belles (or the LaScalas) and can sound like a "buzzsaw" at higher volumes is due to the size limitations of the horn. Cornwalls use the same driver as the Belles/LaScalas/K-horns, but the Cornwall cabinet is not as deep as the Belles and therefore, the Cornwall's horn is even shallower than the Belles' horn (which was already comprised - vs. LaScala/K-horn - to fit in the shallower Belles' cabinet). A shorter and more constricted horn design yields a midrange that is not as open or smooth as the larger Heritage mid-horns.

I also agree that the K79 driver is smoother than the K77, but that would not give you more crunch on the upper end - probably just the opposite. You would probably need to go to an aftermarket tweeter (Eminence, Beyma, JBL) to hear any real difference in the tweeter over what you heard with the Belles.

Carl.

I'll be in the minority here but I feel the cornwall from the bass standpoint is like sitting at a stop light next to late teen early 20 something rice mobile. Tons of bass...but not very realistic or musical.

The upper midrange and high end can be a bit piercing and fatiguing. That said they still sound good and like them a lot. The earlier comment about Belle sound more live I believe is an accurate one.

Out of the Heresy, CW, Belle, LS and Khorn I think the CW sounds the least Heritage-like. However as I stated above I still think they sound good and like them a lot. Given unlimited space and money I would own a pair.

Au contrare...the integration between the CW woofer and the mid is better than the LS or Belle, since the shared baffle is larger. The bass of the CW is deeper but not as 'quick' as the LS/Belle. The K79 tweeter of the late CW IIs is much better than the K77 of any suffix.

Said it before and I'll say it again...the LS was not meant to be a home speaker. The Belle was conceived as WAF friendly center as close as compatible with the Klipschorns as possible. The LS is no more a home speaker than a Black Angus is a Cocker Spaniel.

This topic has come up before...if you want to tweak till you freak, try making an LS a home speaker. If you want the maximum Klipsch Heritage sound right off the bat until Klipschorns arrive, go with CW IIs of late vintage.

Said it before and I'll say it again...the LS was not meant to be a home speaker. The Belle was conceived as WAF friendly center as close as compatible with the Klipschorns as possible. The LS is no more a home speaker than a Black Angus is a Cocker Spaniel.

[:)].....[:D].......[:)].......[:D].........[:)]............[:D]...........[:)]

The LS is no more a home speaker than a Black Angus is a Cocker Spaniel.

The problem was PWK was idiotic enough to bring them home, and all his followers jumped on the bandwagon! [:P]

So what was the intent of the LaScalla then if not a home speaker? I know this will rattle some nerves and I'm sorry but..... I've not thought the LaScalla was a good looking speaker.

The problem was PWK was idiotic enough to bring them home, and all his followers jumped on the bandwagon! [:P]

So

what was the intent of the LaScalla then if not a home speaker? I

know this will rattle some nerves and I'm sorry but..... I've not

thought the LaScalla was a good looking speaker.

P.A. use.

Once again, young man, you don't know what you're talking about. If you can't do better than that, maybe you should "lurk" for a while until your knowledge and maturity catch up with your typing speed.