I finally feel like I belong

I have enjoyed reading and learning from this forum for a while now. I have felt that I could not add anything to any discussions, so I would just read and learn. I have especially enjoyed reading stories about the occasional "find".

Well, now that theyre in hand and no one can buy them out from under me, I can share my story.

I have always been in love with Klipsch. My first (and only) pair of speakers were KG2s I bought after college. Lowest of the line, but still Klipsch. I have loved them for 20 years now.

A few years ago, we built our current house, which just so happens to have a finished walkout basement (my space). After putting the big screen down there and inheriting the old family room furniture, I used my old KG2s with some RSX-4s, an RCX-4 and a KSW-10 to create a small HT system. Nothing too exciting, but adequate nonetheless.

A few months ago, a buddy took me into a high-end audio dealer in northern Virginia. That day, I decided to begin research for a 2-channel tube system, obviously run through Klipsch. Speakers would be the first upgrade. I spent a lot of time here reading these forums. I finally decided that even though my basement room has two really good corners, they are probably too close together for Khorns (abt 14 ft). Heresys or Cornwalls would be my quest. After watching all the Heresys on eBay go through Tampa and missing out on a few pairs of Corns (went for a bit more than I was willing to fork over and then chance shipping through OOPS), I came to a few realizations. If I found something used, it had to be local. If not, I would focus on the new Heresy-III. Seems to be the perfect size, and the price would fall in the right range. Something about buying new is pretty cool, too. On top of that, there is a Heritage dealer in Richmond (about 1 hr away).

Two weeks ago I happened to be in Richmond, so I stopped into the Klipsch dealer to inquire about H-IIIs. While no new Heritage series were there for me to drool over, I stumbled across a real fantasy. 75 Klipschorns, WL, original and beautiful. At a dealer no less. And they would deliver!

Jeff said that the original owner had just traded them in. Thirty years with the same owner. The other salesman had sold the pair to the gentleman back in 75. He even pulled out the original owners packet that went with the speakers. Darn-it, theyre too big for my basement, but I had to ask what they wanted for them. Big mistake. "$2000." "And theyre still here?" "We havent called our usual customers yet. Were enjoying having them in here for now."

Im not sure why I left the store without buying them on the spot, but I did call back first thing the next morning and had them hang a sold sign on them.

I left work last Wednesday morning to go home and take delivery. The dealer had wrapped the speakers very carefully with cardboard and shrink-wrap. They were delivered in an enclosed truck and were gently set in the middle of my basement room floor. They also handed me the original owners packet. The hardest thing I had to do was to get back in my car and return to work. I didnt even have time to unwrap them.

After work, I unwrapped them and took a closer look. Just gorgeous. Only a few minor corner scuffs and a few small spots on one top. The previous owner had obviously taken good care of them. I hooked them up to my HT receiver (a low end JVC) and put on a few CDs in 2-channel mode (Crime of the Century, Garcia, Aja, Winelight). Holy cow! I began to hear instruments and sounds I have never heard before, and Ive listened to these albums for years. The sound darn near made me cry. Go figure, 64", 280 lbs, and tearing up a bit over speakers. Oh well, after I dried my eyes (didnt want my wife to give me any grief), I pulled my wife downstairs, sat her down, and put on Winelight. She was even impressed and said that they sounded great.

I am still giddy about these things, and I have been walking around work for a week with a grin on my face. I guess the room is big enough after all.

Sorry this is such a long post, but I want to thank everyone for the education I have received here. I will continue to read and learn. I may even throw in a comment or two every now and then. And when I feel that I am ready to take the next step (financially) and get tubes, I will lean on you all for advice and suggestions.

Chuck

Chuck,

Congrats and can feel your joy!

BTW, That grin will not go away. Actually it turns into a full feldged smile!! (I've had my smile on for over 16 years)

It's a great testiment to PWK that his speakers do that to poeple. How many brands and types of speaks have come and gone?

Heritage = lifetime enjoyment.

Great story Chuck. I started, back in the early '80's with the KG2's and loved them. Got into a deal with the store to upgrade every year. I went through the entire line, until I bought the Khorns in 1991. Got married in '93 and sold the Khorns in 1995. Biggest mistake I ever made. Kept thinking about them and finally bought another pair in 2004. Like you, I walked around with the biggest grin and it is still there. There are times when I will be in the midst of doing something and a tune comes to mind and I wonder how it will sound on the Khorns. I run down to the room, fire it up and just sit in wonder at the sound. Bought some Cornwalls last fall and they are tremendous too. I am also looking at getting my feet wet in the tube area. Going to stick my toe in first and try out a vintage piece, see how I like it; keep hearing that there is nothing like tubes and Khorns.

Enjoy your speakers Chuck. Like I told my wife when I got my second pair, she can rest assured they are the only mistress I will ever have.

One day I will own Khorns and the perfect room for them.

Now a scary thought sometimes pops up in my mind. I have a perfect room for my Khorns in a great villa in the middle of the forest in a town where only the super rich can afford that and actually my house is still the biggest. There is one problem... I am only the caretaker. It could take years or just one more month and then what?

Sometimes I have a nightmare that I am moving into a tiny flat and when I am hauling in the horns my new neighbors are watching me with angry looks on their faces, groaning and cracking their fingers. The first song I will play is "Hells Bells". [:P]

One day I will own Khorns and the perfect room for them.

Sometimes

I have a nightmare that I am moving into a tiny flat and when I am

hauling in the horns my new neighbors are watching me with angry looks

on their faces, groaning and cracking their fingers. The first song I

will play is "Hells Bells".

[:P]

LOL, that's

hilarious!

Chuck,

Congratulations!

I am glad you are enjoying the K-Horns, although I am also not surprised. They have a wonderful sound - as you know.

Just a bit of perspective. We all get new cars, or better televisions etc. But you have just bought a pair of speakers that in all likelihood you will still own 20 years from now. There are not many things we can say that about.

Good Luck,

-Tom

your story made me feel a bit better, after i got my forte's last summer i would just sit and listen, at times with tears running down my face. nothing like good music sounding great. i too will get around to some tubes first i have to get the kids through college.

• Moderators

Nice story ,nothing like going straight to the top.

And just a note ,just post you don't have to feel like you have to have a reason to fit in. Ha, just look at this group, who really fits in, many different opinions that what makes it work. At the very least you have two big reasons that you do fit in, they are sitting in your house.