VRD's are on their way!!

• Moderators

I heard so many good comments about Craig's VRD's I went and bought me an almost unused pair from a forum member and he says they will arrive about this Friday. I forgot to ask said forum member if he had any objection to me using his name, so all I can say is he hangs with Gary once in awhile in M.D., coaches tennis (when I grow up and retire I want that job, or women's swim coach). I am hoping they do arrive this Friday so I can get them home and unpacked and start doing some reviewing on my own.

Stay tunned.

Travis

P.S. OT: Who makes the best lobster roll in Maine?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got a really nice pair and a sweet deal. I'm glad it worked out between you and ___________.[;)] Allan and I might be the only other forum members (besides Craig) to have heard them.

Welcome to the club! When will you be ordering your BlueBerryXtreme?[:D] I know you're a vinyl guy and it's a great combo!

I shipped those beautiful amps off to Houstin yesterday. Here's my story and I'm stickin' to it! I bought a Balanced Audio Technology VK-3ix pre amp to go along with the VRDs that I ordered from Craig at Nos/Valves. I really liked the BAT design, both internal and cosmetic, and when a BAT VK-55 amp became available, (at a reasonable price) I had to consider it. The amp was in CA and Allan Songer was kind enough to check it out for me. When he confirmed the condition and sincerity of the seller, I bought it. Please understand that I also have vintage McIntosh gear, (that I love for many reasons) and a Scott 299 Integrated that Craig rebuilt for me a few years ago. It came down to a choice between the BAT VK-55 and the VRDs. I chose the VK-55 because it physically matched my BAT pre amp. Did I A/B the two choices? Not really. We have been working on the lower level and I havent done much listening at all, especially with the VK-55. I will say that Allan, Gary and I all listened to the VK-3ix / VRD combo and thought it was wonderful. We also previewed the VRDs with my McIntosh C29 and they both passed the test. I may slightly prefer the VK-55 over the VRDs but theres a 99% chance thats because I decided to keep the VK-55. I will say this: I truly believe the VRDs are a sensational pair of amps. They are a fantastic value and come from somebody that I believe stands behind everything he does. They were not sold because I was unsatisfied with any aspect of the amps. I know Travis will enjoy the VRDs. Im sorry I might have cost Craig a sale but hes a big boy and he doesnt make much off the darn things anyway. I kiss his butt only because I will probably buy another pair of his amps someday and I want him to give me a deal![:D]

I shipped those beautiful amps off to Houstin yesterday. Here's my story and I'm stickin' to it! I bought a Balanced Audio Technology VK-3ix pre amp to go along with the VRDs that I ordered from Craig at Nos/Valves. I really liked the BAT design, both internal and cosmetic, and when a BAT VK-55 amp became available, (at a reasonable price) I had to consider it. The amp was in CA and Allan Songer was kind enough to check it out for me. When he confirmed the condition and sincerity of the seller, I bought it. Please understand that I also have vintage McIntosh gear, (that I love for many reasons) and a Scott 299 Integrated that Craig rebuilt for me a few years ago. It came down to a choice between the BAT VK-55 and the VRDs. I chose the VK-55 because it [:D]physically matched my BAT pre amp. Did I A/B the two choices? Not really. We have been working on the lower level and I havent done much listening at all, especially with the VK-55. I will say that Allan, Gary and I all listened to the VK-3ix / VRD combo and thought it was wonderful. We also previewed the VRDs with my McIntosh C29 and they both passed the test. I may slightly prefer the VK-55 over the VRDs but theres a 99% chance thats because I decided to keep the VK-55. I will say this: I truly believe the VRDs are a sensational pair of amps. They are a fantastic value and come from somebody that I believe stands behind everything he does. They were not sold because I was unsatisfied with any aspect of the amps. I know Travis will enjoy the VRDs. Im sorry I might have cost Craig a sale but hes a big boy and he doesnt make much off the darn things anyway. I kiss his butt only because I will probably buy another pair of his amps someday and I want him to give me a deal![:D]

Scott,

Well thanks Butt kissing doesn't get any better then that LOL!! Really I completely understand why you decided to keep the BAT amplifier. You like all your gear to match and that is fine with me. I'm sure that Bat amp is wonderful sounding.

Craig

I heard so many good comments about Craig's VRD's I went and bought me an almost unused pair from a forum member and he says they will arrive about this Friday. I forgot to ask said forum member if he had any objection to me using his name, so all I can say is he hangs with Gary once in awhile in M.D., coaches tennis (when I grow up and retire I want that job, or women's swim coach). I am hoping they do arrive this Friday so I can get them home and unpacked and start doing some reviewing on my own.

Stay tunned.

Travis

P.S. OT: Who makes the best lobster roll in Maine?

Travis,

When the amps arrive and your setting things up if you have any questions at all feel free to call me or shoot me an email with your number and I'll call you my LD is free so no big deal. Congratulations on your new toys!

Craig

• Moderators

I shipped those beautiful amps off to Houstin yesterday.

Scott,

I am so grateful that you shipped them yesterday, but hopefully you are a typical Yankee and don't know the difference between Houston and Austin. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Austin, where I live, is the Capital of Texas, live music capitol of the world, home of Willie Nelson, Lance Armstrong, and formerly Cheryl Crow. Houston is a three hour drive to the Southeast, its the largest city in the south, one of the largest ports, they have the Astrodome, Astros, which no longer play in the Astrodome, an NFL team I have never heard of, they dont play in the dome either, and Mission Control (Houston we have a problem).

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

So if you sent those speakers to Houston give me the address so I can go camp out on that persons lawn while I wait for the USPS/UPS/FedEx/DHL driver to arrive and I can grab my VRDs and then drive back to Austin.

Since you outed yourself, who makes the best lobster roll in Maine?

Travis

• Moderators

Travis,

When the amps arrive and your setting things up if you have any questions at all feel free to call me or shoot me an email with your number and I'll call you my LD is free so no big deal. Congratulations on your new toys!

Craig

Craig,

Thank you so much on that gracious offer. Says a lot about you and your amps that you are willing to stand behind them even if you did not profit from the sale.

I sure do appreciate it and will for sure be giving you a call at some point.

Travis

Sorry Travis! I must have had my mind on an old <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Houston establishment called Baby Does (I think) and it frosted my brain. The amps will arrive in Austin on Friday.[;)]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Congratulations! You're going to love 'em! What preamp will you be using with them?

As for the lobster roll the best one I had was at a place between Rockland and Owl's Head. My ex-girlfriend is from Rockland and we would go every year for the Lobster Festival (first week of August). Let me check with her on the establishment. Where will you be while you are up there?

BTW, the coast of Maine (Rockland, Rockport, Camden) is one of the most beautiful places on earth. It is God's country up there. Get's awfully cold in the wintertime though. [:D]

Mike

"P.S. OT: Who makes the best lobster roll in Maine?"

The Bull & Claw in Wells, ME as far as I know. It has three lobsters worth of meat and comes on a roll about a foot and half long. Tasted incredible! I think it was like $19.99 as well. Yum, Yum.

Sweet score!!! My equipment wish list is down to 2 now and VRDs one of them. Enjoy!!!!!!!!! [:)][:D][H][<:o)]

I remember seeing the post about a DC Klipsch gathering maybe we need to try and set up a Central Texas or just a Texas Klipsch Gathering now that spring is here.

I'll post a thread about it and see if anyone is interested.

• Moderators

Congratulations! You're going to love 'em! What preamp will you be using with them?

As for the lobster roll the best one I had was at a place between Rockland and Owl's Head. My ex-girlfriend is from Rockland and we would go every year for the Lobster Festival (first week of August). Let me check with her on the establishment. Where will you be while you are up there?

BTW, the coast of Maine (Rockland, Rockport, Camden) is one of the most beautiful places on earth. It is God's country up there. Get's awfully cold in the wintertime though. [:D]

Mike

RIght now I will be hooking them up to a Mac MX110. I am going to give them a spin with that and then I am looking a couple of things, possible the BBX, a Granite or a Rose.

We are going to be up on the Coast of Maine, those areas you mentioned.

Travis

According to federal Express, the VRDs have arrived and departed <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Fort Worth and will be delivered, in Austin, (not Houston) sometime tomorrow.

Although I have traveled this country to a great extent, I have never been to Maine, Vermont or New Hampshire. Along with Hawaii, they are the only four states I have missed. Seems strange coming from PA but I have never enjoyed Maine Lobster within the state boundaries. I may try to cover that NE area this fall. I hear its a thing of beauty!