VRD's are on their way!!

• Moderators

I returned from court about 4:30 p.m., and after a long hard day of trying to keep the innocent and oppressed out of jail, I walked into the office and much to my delight there were two big brown boxes waiting for me!. No gouges, dents, or gaping holes anywhere so they appear to have arrived in beautiful shape.

So they will go home with me tonight, get unpacked and put in place, and then we will give them a little spin.

Christmas the week before St. Patrick's day, you gotta love it.

Travis

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I have traveled this country to a great extent, I have never been to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Maine, Vermont or New Hampshire. Along with Hawaii, they are the only four states I have missed. Seems strange coming from PA but I have never enjoyed Maine Lobster within the state boundaries. I may try to cover that NE area this fall. I hear its a thing of beauty!

Don't waste your time. [;)] Do not pass go, head directly to Hawaii. [:D]

OK - here's the thing (she says after 2 beers)...... Assuming a Lobster Roll has something to do with Lobster & bread.... isn't the bread just tainting the lobster? Lowering it with cheap bread? Kicking it down a few notches?

Please explain. (or ignore me)....

Although I have traveled this country to a great extent, I have never been to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Maine, Vermont or New Hampshire. Along with Hawaii, they are the only four states I have missed. Seems strange coming from PA but I have never enjoyed Maine Lobster within the state boundaries. I may try to cover that NE area this fall. I hear its a thing of beauty!

Northern NE is amazing, has a very strong sense of character and great beauty at every turn. I drove through all three states in the fall of '99, doing the common thing of starting at the Maine coast and driving "against" the color change progression, i.e., NW to northern VT while the colors marched SE, the opposite direction. Advantage: you get to see the most intense color somewhere en route! Reason: you have to reserve accommodations before you know exactly when colors will be at their height. Disadvantage: colors may be early on the Maine coast and peak or a little past in upper VT. That said, it's pretty hard to go wrong.

Too many great places to visit to list them all, but you might take your new buggy, especially if it has a low range (if not, does it have a 5-speed tranny you can select #1 gear in?), up the Mt. Washington drive. 28% grade on average, I believe, a very narrow old road needing lots of cooperative SUV maneuvering in the 2-way traffic going up and down. I hope you can do the trip!

And, absolutely go to Hawaii some time! P.S. I have slide shows of NE and HI --

Larry

OK - here's the thing (she says after 2 beers)...... Assuming a Lobster Roll has something to do with Lobster & bread.... isn't the bread just tainting the lobster? Lowering it with cheap bread? Kicking it down a few notches?

Well lobster is just lobster, so if you are looking for lobster, well you are already there...now some would argue that the bread in a lobster roll would enhance, support, coffer contrast to the lobster thereby improving it...if you are looking for something beyond or at least different than lobster...well now you have that too...by the way, in my opinion...I just LOVED the NE area...went twice, Boston (Legal Seafood...YUM!)...Gloucester (Glawsta), Kennebunkport, New Hampsha, Portland, Salem...Excellent food and great sites.

Bill

• Moderators

Me,

I don't know thats why I asked. It's one of those regional things that people say, "oh when you are there you gotta go to [insert name of local resturant/dive that has become an institution] and have a [insert name of local cusine that you have to try]. For example, boudin, fried/injected turkey in So. La, Philly Cheese Steak in the city of brotherly love, Chicago style hotdog, chippino in North Beach of San Francisco, Stone Crab at Joes in Fla., etc., etc.

Everytime I have undertaken that advice I have been very glad I did, usually coming away with the impression that is one of the best things I have ever eaten. In some cases flying back there to get some more, or having it flown in to where I am.

I have always heard that you have to get a lobster roll when in Maine and I was just trying to see what the word was on who had the best one. In fact, last weeks travel section of the Sunday paper talked about them some, so I was going to use our nice little forum here to get the straight poop, er dope on the subject.

Travis

Julia Child served them in STORE BOUGHT hotdog buns.

It's DECADENT for crying out loud--the meat from an ENTIRE lobster chopped up with some mayo and plopped into a hotdog bun. I mean, DAMN!

• Moderators

Julia Child served them in STORE BOUGHT hotdog buns.

It's DECADENT for crying out loud--the meat from an ENTIRE lobster chopped up with some mayo and plopped into a hotdog bun. I mean, DAMN!

My point entirely! Some things you just have to try.

Travis

I spent many summers in Maine as a kid. The best part of the trip was when we went to the wharf, picked out our lobsters from the big tank and had them served with nothing but a bib and a tub of melted butter. I've never even heard of a lobster roll.

BTW - Maine is just gorgeous. My father would always drive the long way through Vermont to see the beautiful countryside while us kids just wanted to get home. My sister and I almost killed each other on some of those trips.

• Moderators

Since lobster-talk has hijacked this thread, check out this big guy I found while on a business trip to Boston last year.

Seadog, beautiful photo, you could put on saddle on that one.

Well I will try to get us back on track on my original post, the side issue was my fault.

I got the two boxes home, Craig had sent me a private email yesterday with an invitation to call him so he could take me through everything, so I did. Scott, forum member I purchased the amps from) had said to pay special attention on how Craig had packed them in case I ever needed to ship them in the future. So I figured I would give Craig a call before I unpacked them to make sure there wasn't anything special to know before I put the knife to the tape. No answer at Craig's, I figure he has better things to do on a Friday then deal with me. Five minutes later Craig calls and says, "so they are out and all hooked up and ready to go?" and I proceed to tell them no they are sitting in their pretty brown boxes, and before I can finish the story Craig responds with a comment to the effect of they are not going to do me much good sitting in their boxes. I always enjoy reading Craig's posts, but after hearing that comment I knew I was really going to like Craig. He must of figured he was dealing with a real yayhoo when I asked about opening the boxes, but it didn't phase him a bit. I then told him that Scott had told me to be sure and carefully note how they are packed and I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything special I needed to be aware of and he said "nope, just open them up and start taking stuff out until you get to the amp." So I suggest I call him back when I had things unpacked and ready to go, and he says lets go ahead and take a look and make sure everything is all there.

So while I go ahead and get the boxes in my media room and start to open them he tells me all about how he does the wood on them, where he gets the trannys, etc., and you can immediately tell he has a lot of pride in his creation, as he well should. So I get em both opened up and we have a slight scare that we may not have one each of the ECC 82's and 83's. Turns out both 82's were with one amp and both 83's were with the other, whew. He then asks if the screwdriver is in there, says we will need to have that to adjust the bias if necessary. I think to myself, this guy includes a screwdriver to adjust the bias, dang! There is no screwdriver, but I tell him that I have plenty of jewelers screwdrivers that will do the trick. He asks about my VOM that we will need to adjust the bias, that is a whole nother story I will save for later. Keep in mind I bought these amps from Scott, Craig did not make a dime on this deal (yet) and he is taking me through the whole thing.

SIDENOTE: Scott, where is my screwdriver? I figure you kept it as a memento of your brief but pleasurable experience with these amps and counted on no one noticing that it was missing since who would ever figure that an amp maker is going to include one. Well you figured wrong my cheeseheaded friend. Or maybe Gary took it when he was checking out your amps because he has the same amps and he knew it was something he might lose. In any event, whoever has MY screwdriver, forget it, keep it as a small token of my appreciation for reccomending/selling these amps to me.

BACK TO OUR HERO: After the amps are out Craig gives me the exact tube placement. I look at the power cords coming out of them, nice but not very substantial and I half tounge in cheek ask him, your not going to tell me that you reccomend me upgrading these power cords with $200 or more mods are ya? He says, "see that black button on the back of the amp" and I ask him if he means the fuse holder (he is probably still thinking "yahoo" because of the box opening issue) and he says "yeah pull that out. See that little wire in there, all of the power to that amp goes through that little bitty wire, before he can finish I tell him I know what he is going to tell me, my dad (an EE who worked for Ampex in the late 50's and 60's, and who turns 75 today) told me the same thing when I told him I thought about getting power cord upgrades. I really knew I liked Craig at that point.

I tell him that I will get everything hooked up and will call him. He asks what preamp I will be hooking it up to and I tell him probably my Granite or my MX110 but my MX was a little noisy in the left channel. I tell him I may not have have the time to troubleshoot it myself and I may want to send it to him to look at. Another long story short, he trouble shoots my MX-110 over the phone and isolates it to the 6U8 3rd stage tube. (I was trying to think up ways to get this guy some money and he won't have anything to do with it).

So, that was the first hour with Craig. I get everything hooked up, using my "newly refurbished" MX110, and call him back after about 20 minutes. I tell him where each tube has been placed to confirm we are on the same page, where the ultralinear toggle switchs were placed and he then takes me step by step on how to bias the amps. I have always had Mac Tube amps which Craig explains to me are auto-bias by design and not to worry about having to manually bias these amps, that it was a snap because of his design. He then has me power on the amps, which I do. Nothing. Opps, operator error, forgot to turn on surge protector. Check the bias with Craig's assistance, and he give me clearance for take off. First he says, can you hear any hum and I tell him no. "Go right up to the speaker and put your ear next to the tweeter" he says. "Can you hear the hum,? Can you hear the hum? There is supposed to be some hum." I tell him, "YEAH there's some hum" and try to sound excited I heard some hum. There wasn't any hum, but who was I to argue with this guy if he didn't want to believe that his amps were dead *** [industry term] quiet?

He says have fun, and to call him tomorrow and let him know what I think. Two hours on the phone, step by step, and he still wants an update. What a guy!

So I hang up, grab a great original 7.5 IPS R2R tape of Byrds Sweethearts of the Rodeo, figure a little violin (fiddle to some), banjo, steel guitar will test the hign end. I am about 5 mins in to the tape and my wife walks by the room and stops and says "are you o.k." I ask why and she says she has never seen that expression on me before, I told her "thats an expression of utter amazement." She smiles that smile like I don't get it, but as long as you are happy. . . .

I then get some of my "reference" stuff, a 15 IPS original two track master tape (Jazz) and a 30 IPS original two track master tape. Since then I have played jazz, rock, some classical, played it loud and played it soft, and everything in between. As for my thoughts, you are not going to hear about soundstage, tranxparency, coloration, or lack thereof from me, I don't understand what half that crap means anyway.

In the spirt of Craig's simple and direct approach with me on the phone, let me say this. I got off the phone with Criag at about 10:30 my time, it is now almost 6 a.m. While I am by no means an expert, expecially compared to many of the folks who comment on here, I have had my fair share of tube stuff, but mostly McIntosh, including MC-30's, MC-275, etc. I was figuring on a unique and clean sound that has brought great enjoyement to many on this forum, in line with Mac, AR or CJ. I way underestimated them, thinking the previous postive comments were self fullfilling assurement they had made a good purchase, or a join the crowd mentality, and that they surely must sound good, but it's all relative. Must say that that I am truly amazed. Great amps, not for the price, but at any price.

Craig, I don't know if my thanks over the phone came through as heart felt and sincere. Honestly, I was dying to let those baby's rip. However, let me say again, publicly, I appreciate all of the time you spent with me to insure that the amps had arrived in good shape and there was no potential gross bias misadjustments. You have an incredible product and you give me a lot of encouragment about the future of "high end" audio, whatever that may be. I don't know if you read Stereophile or TAS, but both publications have given a lot of print lately to the trouble high-end audio is going through, trying to figure out how to fix it, etc. People like you are the fix, a great product at a fair price and someone willing to stand behind them. I didn't buy these amps from you, you made nothing, yet you wanted to make sure that someone who had your amps was in a position to enjoy them to their fullest. I thank you again for your time. If you ever have a potential buyer in the Central Texas area who makes an inquiry about them please do not hesitate to give them my name and number to arrange to come over and look/listen to them in person. It would be an honor to do so.

Well I gotta go, time to flip the Allan Parson's l.p. I havd playing right now.

Travis

P.S. Sorry about the length, needless to say, I am excited.

Travis,

This post of yours is thanks enough WOW !!! I think the last thing I said to you is ...... "you'll most likely be up all night" [;)]

One more thing when I said can you hear anything with the rest of the system off. I expected no hum and that you would have to put your ear up to the tweeter to hear the faint hiss. My amps never hum by themselves if everything is up to snuff.

Thanks a bunch for the great comments

Craig

Wow Travis, sounds like I may need to stop by your place some weekend.

Congratulations on your new road traveled on the trip to audio nirvana.

By the way, what reel to reel do you have? I have a Teac X1000R, but

it needs a new capstan belt. I actually have the new belt, just haven't

had the time to change it.

Yes, Craig is one hell of a guy. I always look forward to the Audiokarma Fest

each year, as it's the only time I get to see Craig. Always fun and

always a treat to hang out in his listening room at the fest.