"Definately" use spell-check

DizRotus

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's both amazing and embarrassing how common it is for Europeans (and others) to speak very good English. Sad to admit that 3+ years of Spanish might enable me to survive in a Spanish speaking country, but Id hardly describe "un pequito Espanol" as being fluent.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

We chaperoned a high school band trip to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Austria a few years ago. I felt obligated to attempt to at least say good morning, good evening and thank you in German. People were always amused at my ineptitude, but they seemed to appreciate the effort. Its just too easy for us Americans when everyone else speaks his or her native language and excellent English.

I met a young woman from Germany once. She spoke five languages fluently and her English was excellent.

She was quite attractive, too.

Bruce

Isn't that like eating cake and having ice-cream too?.......

Try to imagine how hard it is for the non-english speaking and reading people living here in the state's.........

It's not just a matter of spelling ability. Clearly there is no correlation between spelling and intelligence or the quality of an individual. Being well educated and an excellent speller doesnt automatically make someone a better person or better employment candidate than someone who is a poor speller.

With the availability of spell-check, everyone has the opportunity to check his or her spelling before submitting her or his written product to the world for review. She or he can quickly and easily learn that it's definite not definate, consistent rather than consistant, etc. (not ect.). Unfortunately, spell-check wont tell the uninformed that he or she meant to say "ridiculous not ridicules, as each is a correctly spelled word.

If it's easy to correct basic mistakes and, thereby, learn from them, it then becomes a question of laziness, stubbornness and/or a lack of attention to detail. Those are qualities I try to avoid when looking for individuals to represent my business.

The typos, etc. that come with the rapid exchange of ideas on the Internet are understandable. Repeatedly making the same fundamental spelling mistakes, when the correct spelling is easily at hand wastes an opportunity to learn more than just which circuit topology might provide the sound that you're seeking.

Edited by DizRotus

The typos, etc. that come with the rapid exchange of ideas on the Internet are understandable. Repeatedly making the same fundamental spelling mistakes, when the correct spelling is easily at hand wastes an opportunity to learn more than just which circuit topology might provide the sound that you're seeking.

Great post and thread! I also have the on-line American Heritage Dictionary on my computer, which makes it very easy to look up words without pulling a heavy book off the shelf. (If I can spell it well enough to bring it up, that is.)

"If its easy to correct basic mistakes and, thereby, learn from them, it then becomes a question of laziness, stubbornness and/or a lack of attention to detail."

That my friend is why they can't spell in the first place. Their teachers and also the curriculum were too lazy to teach spelling properly. Spell check programs are simply a crutch for those that never learned in the first place.

O lny srmat poelpe can raed tihs.

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The

phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy,

it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

I don't think smart is the issue with that jumbled post. If you aren't a good reader, you won't read the whole jumbled words and trying to go letter by letter would me difficult. Many smart people are poor readers and vice versa.

EDIT: A Google search located the following: http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/~mattd/Cmabrigde/ if, as they say on CBS, you want to "read more about it."

• Klipsch Employees

For the record..I have a hard time spelling my name.

If you find a misspelled word from me and dont know what I am trying to get across, then ask.

When I interviewed with Klipsch I was ask what I bring to the table. My answer was " my love of all this stuff". Then I was ask what was the worst thing I bring to the table. My answer was " I have a hard time spelling my name, but I know what spell check is..."

For me the problem comes from being in 8 or more different schools before the 6th grade. Being partley blind in one eye did not help. Then you add in the A.D.D and that I am (sp?) Dyslexic, plus that I speak "south Arkansasn" and I have little chance in spelling anything correct.

So, when you see more than a few words spelled wrong by me, please understand I aint stuppid. ;)

I jsut caint spell.

A few of thoughts on the subject.........

IMHO, if one reads the message they posted and notice a spelling error(s) and it bothers them, then that's a good thing. And if one edits said message to correct the misspelling(s), that's even better. However, when folks see the misspelling and don't think twice about it, that should be a sign.

And it bugs me when I see "alot". There's no such word as "alot", yet folks use it a lot. [:)]

And the other word that I see and hear a lot is "irregardless". Again, there's no such word - it's "regardless".

(sigh).......And regardless of what you say to them, they'll continue to use it a lot. [:P] [:)]

Tom

A few of thoughts on the subject.........

IMHO, if one reads the message they posted and notice a spelling error(s) and it bothers them, then that's a good thing. And if one edits said message to correct the misspelling(s), that's even better. However, when folks see the misspelling and don't think twice about it, that should be a sign.

And it bugs me when I see "alot". There's no such word as "alot", yet folks use it a lot. [:)]

And the other word that I see and hear a lot is "irregardless". Again, there's no such word - it's "regardless".

(sigh).......And regardless of what you say to them, they'll continue to use it a lot. [:P] [:)]

Tom

Actually, I believe we were taught that "a lot" is a less common usage of "alot," and that both were correct.

"Alot" is not in The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. "Irregardless" is in the same dictionary, but is identified as "Non-Standard." Nevertheless, it bothers me (it's a double negative) and I feel that it should be avoided, unless someone wants to make a bad impression.

If you wouldn't write alittle then you shouldn't write alot. I'd

write more but, for now, that's all of the time that I can allot.

Added: Some more common mords to wix...

then vs. than

effect vs. affect

to vs. too

Words to nix...

methinks

whilst