Bose is top luxury brand, interesting article

CAS

Headline: Wealthy Consumers Rate Bang & Olufsen, Bose, Nakamichi Top Luxury Audio Brands

The article states that brand reputation with the target market has been rated by executives as one of the most critical metrics a brand can measure. It also dictates that the proprietary Luxury Brand Status Index (LBSI) is the only measure of the value and equity of leading luxury brands to wealthy Americans, based on statistically meaningful data collected from wealthy consumers themselves. The LBSI incorporates four main "pillars" of value:

Consistently superior quality

Uniqueness and exclusivity

Enhanced social status

The ability of a brand to make a customer "feel special."

So, base on these criteria I could take a dump in a bag, sell it for a thousand dollars and tell everyone that they're not "in" unless they own the highly covetted dump in a bag...with the new, improved dump in a bag coming out next year for two thousand dollars.

It's ironic how those who can afford the most rate their audio products with non-audible measures. In fact, those who purchase based on these 4 silly pillars may need to think about getting a life.

the proprietary Luxury Brand Status Index (LBSI) is

the only measure of the value and equity of leading luxury brands to

wealthy Americans, based on statistically meaningful data collected

from wealthy consumers themselves. The LBSI incorporates four main

"pillars" of value:

Enhanced social status

It's ironic how those who can afford the most rate their audio

products with non-audible measures. In fact, those who purchase

based on these 4 silly pillars may need to think about getting a life.

You realise that they are applying the same four "pillars" to all

products, such as cars, portable electronics, appliances, etc...

so you could flip out the B&O or BOSE with Mercedes-Benz or

BMW.

Even though I agree with your point... when you really think

about it, a lot of luxury items are purchased for secondary

characteristics like the items #2, #3, and #4.

OTOH, if you convert your dump in a bag into a flaming bag of poop... I think you'll have a winner on your hands (or under your boots)

ROb

Headline: Wealthy Consumers Rate Bang & Olufsen, Bose, Nakamichi Top Luxury Audio Brands

The article states that brand reputation with the target market has been rated by executives as one of the most critical metrics a brand can measure. It also dictates that the proprietary Luxury Brand Status Index (LBSI) is the only measure of the value and equity of leading luxury brands to wealthy Americans, based on statistically meaningful data collected from wealthy consumers themselves. The LBSI incorporates four main "pillars" of value:

Enhanced social status

So, base on these criteria I could take a dump in a bag, sell it for a thousand dollars and tell everyone that they're not "in" unless they own the highly covetted dump in a bag...with the new, improved dump in a bag coming out next year for two thousand dollars.

It's ironic how those who can afford the most rate their audio products with non-audible measures. In fact, those who purchase based on these 4 silly pillars may need to think about getting a life.

SO WHAT; Who really cares? Those are good products, to other people they might be the best. I don't care for Bose, B+O is highly rated, and NAK, people on the forum have NAK,so where is the problem, with the equipment, the people who buy it, or do you have a problem with wealth? Can't you use those 4 silly pillars to describe your feelings for your Klipsch Speakers?Think about it! You don't have to buy,or use those products.Maybe you should be the one to get a life, instead of producing dump in a bag. It's been written here before, and it's still true; DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS!!

If I didnt know about Hagen-Daz, I might be proud to buy Walmart ice cream, if I didnt know about Honda CRXs, I might be proud to pay for a Ferrari, if I didnt know about flutes, I might think a recorder made great music. People are always pleased to own popular brands.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The folded horn design of the Bose Jewel cubes and the slim elegance of the B+0 is impressive. So is the deliver all the goods capability of semi-trucks and Klipschs big ole horns.

[:S]

What I find most interesting about this is that these brands (Bang & Olufsen, Bose, Nakamichi) always seemed like "hight end stuff" when I was a kid. Meaning that when I owned Pioneer and Technics; B&O and Nak, were much more limited in stores (typically high end stores) and much higher priced. So, as an impressionable kid, I figured they had to be better.

I wonder if this type of thinking has followed my peers (I am 40)? I would expect the late 30s people to 60-somethings are who is being targeted. i.e people with lots of DIY.

I don't know anyone into music, back then, who did not want a Nakamichi Dragon tape deck or thought the sleek B&O look was an instant get-you-laid-ticket.

If you grew up thinking these brands were great..and you never really heard/bought quality gear you probably just ended up 25 years older an no more the wiser. So now you got some $$$ in your fist and you go looking for some gear it only makes sense that you would want/buy this same brand...even though it probably sounds nothing like the 70s stuff did. Nor do you care most likely, because you are actually buying to impress yourself. It just happens to be yourslef from 20 some years ago.

FWIW, I was in a B&O store about a year ago and thought the wall mounted CD player and thin speakers stunk!

Interesting to say the least.

Ok, now that made me chuckle...new website anyone? A marketing business name, DIAB? The mind reels...hehehe

K

Enhanced social status

1. ummm yeah ..... sure those three comapnies have superior quality [;)]

2. When bose is sold at sears and is in many homes, kinda loses the pizzaz

3 hahahhahahahahha sure

4 i feel special for getting ripped off!

Somebody got up on the wrong side of the crossover.

I would agree with you that to some people think certain products are the best (usually the highest in their personal price range), but if their only reason for being stated the best is based on price and exclusivity, then my dump in a bag model stands. That means the item is not the product, the feeling of being better than someone else is the product. I have no problem with wealth. I'm not bad off and I fully support capitalism, but it really bothers me when people buy based solely on image. I really have doubts about someone's character who would purchase based upon the above ideals. If dump in a bag were highly marketed and it's superiority virally spread, I bet you a house or two in the elites would obtain a good supply of dump in a bag.

p.s. Now, if this affluent person buys based on these characteristics and never plans to utilize or enjoy them (such as a $10,000 sink in a guestroom never visited, a Bose HT in a den never used, a Piano signed by Beethoven that will never be played) then I view it differently. If I had billions of dollars and don't listen to music, wash my hands in other rooms, or play a single note of piano, then I would simply say to my butler, "Please fill this room with sound, put in a sink, and place a piano there. Don't spend more than $100,000."

But I would have to assume that 99.99% of those of us here on the forum want some bang for our buck. Why would I waste my time typing here if I could be in Fiji with natives throwing tropical fruit at me?

If I didnt know about Hagen-Daz, I might be proud to buy Walmart ice cream, if I didnt know about Honda CRXs, I might be proud to pay for a Ferrari, if I didnt know about flutes, I might think a recorder made great music. People are always pleased to own popular brands. [:S]

Well, here's my first "flame" of my internet life (hope I don't screw it up) [;)]

There are some people that think Hagen-Daz is to ice cream (Graeters) what Bose is to Klipsch and as such, is a "popular brand" people are always pleased to own without knowing what they COULD otherwise have if they opened their taste buds [6]

You should check Graeters out and YES, if you are bold enough to try it out, they CAN send it to you!!! (packed in dry ice and shipped overnight...and it's not "cheap")

You will probably never go back to hagan daz save for it's Walmart convienece of being bought at your grocery store!

http://graeters.com/

Perhaps others in the greater Cincinnati area can chime in on the virtues of Graeters.

If nothing else, read "about us" and go to their history. Very interesting. If you go there today & meet say, Dick Graeter, he's a man who is probably in his mid 70's (wild guess on my part). It's HIS grandfather that started it way back in 1870.

Think about that for a moment... this place started 136 years ago and the guys running it today are the mere grandkids of the founders. That just blows my mind.

ah Hagen-Daz, I remember reading something peculiar to that brand. First it is an American company that just chose the name to sound German or "imported." And second to retain their status and luxury in new upcoming markets, Hagen-Daz is sold at the same price as in America in countries like China. That means they pay around 7 dollars per person at restaurants and so fourth to be able to eat Hagen-Daz. A full 5 course meal in China costs around 5-6 American dollars BTW. It is all about perception of luxury or brand name image. When a chinese person wants to impress someone they buy them that ice cream to show off (their rich), kinda like getting a glass of dom perinon or Johnnie Walker Blue.

Personally I like laboratory made icecream [:P] I worked at a lab with liquid nitrogen, and one day I saw in popular science how they made ice cream with liquid nitrogen. Due to the very very low temperature of liquid nitrogen, it produces the creamiest and smoothest ice cream possible due to "flash freezing" which inhibits any ice particles from forming..

I agree, Haagen Dazs is the Bose of ice cream. It's, at best, a

mid grade overpriced ice cream that is commonly considered to be

epitome of the ice cream art. A classic example of duping the

customer by marketing a brand name. I'll be sure to sample

Graeter's ice cream if I'm ever in the Ohio area - I'm sure it's a fine

local brand and I like the story.

I don't want to sound like an elitist ice cream snob but here is a link to the best ice cream in the world.

Il Gelato di San Crispino in Rome will spoil you for any other ice

cream. It's the best I've had anywhere on the planet.

Not to flog a dead horse (as I flog away [6]) but one of the very interesting things about Graeters is their chip flavors.

First off, the chocolate chips can be huge. They will pour liquid chocolate into the pot as it freezes and sometimes, they're about the size of 1/2 hershey bar. Second, most of the time, frozen chocolate is hard & brittle. Graeters has found some way to make the chocolate chips a LOT more 'melty' and as such, they are a lot creamier when you're working some down compared to (my experience) with choc.chip version from Hagan Daz (and many others)

Besides, Oprah loves it! I was at their factory once, soon after she treated her show guests with it and evidently she didn't warn them. They said they about got blown out of the water with orders flooding in nationwide as a result from that show.

OK, off my Graeters soapbox now... I'm going into withdrawls... (I order a box once or twice a year and this is getting me hankering for some)

"Uniqueness and exclusivity

Enhanced social status

Unfortunately, some of this figured into my Ducati (and Triumph) purchase. I did NOT want to meet myself on the road several times a day, like I would on a Suzuki sportbike. I DID want something different, but capable. While there is nothing on the planet, but maybe an MV Augusta, that will handle as well as a Ducati Superbike, there are many that are faster and have gobs more power (like +23% more power in the 1000cc class). Just owning the thing does not make me feel special, but the first high-speed curve always does and the sound it makes wide-open does.

I think there is a lot of this sort of thinking and selling. How else could Hardly-Abelson sell such anachronistic aberrations to so many people that ride 300 miles a year, but dress the part everyday, everywhere?

Somebody got up on the wrong side of the crossover.

I would agree with you that to some people think certain products are the best (usually the highest in their personal price range), but if their only reason for being stated the best is based on price and exclusivity, then my dump in a bag model stands. That means the item is not the product, the feeling of being better than someone else is the product. I have no problem with wealth. I'm not bad off and I fully support capitalism, but it really bothers me when people buy based solely on image. I really have doubts about someone's character who would purchase based upon the above ideals. If dump in a bag were highly marketed and it's superiority virally spread, I bet you a house or two in the elites would obtain a good supply of dump in a bag.

p.s. Now, if this affluent person buys based on these characteristics and never plans to utilize or enjoy them (such as a $10,000 sink in a guestroom never visited, a Bose HT in a den never used, a Piano signed by Beethoven that will never be played) then I view it differently. If I had billions of dollars and don't listen to music, wash my hands in other rooms, or play a single note of piano, then I would simply say to my butler, "Please fill this room with sound, put in a sink, and place a piano there. Don't spend more than $100,000."

But I would have to assume that 99.99% of those of us here on the forum want some bang for our buck. Why would I waste my time typing here if I could be in Fiji with natives throwing tropical fruit at me?

Now I know what Dump in a Bag looks like, thanks so much!