Friday Night Rant - Birch, Birch, Birch and more Birch

meagain

3dzapper - Re the faceplate stain... No, they are pristine LaScalas, that spot is just the natural staining one would find in paint grade, lower quality birch. The other speaker's faceplate is clear. It's like it has a black eye. I'd love to veneer them (they scream for it), but it would take a years worth of practice before tackling. Yes, I feel painting would be an improvement and they sure as heck wouldn't be painted black! I keep wondering if I could bleach these defects out. Here's another gem:

post-20189-13819286846022_thumb.jpg

post-20189-13819291110908_thumb.jpg

post-20189-13819295073156_thumb.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

meagain, If you're going to use Watco Danish...there is something you do to the wood BEFORE you apply the Watco if you are using raw Birch...when I refinished my Birch Raw Klipschorn's that were abused by their previous owner I did not know this was required for an even stain finish...mine turned out pretty nice...MUCH better than the "orange stain" look they had but they still possess that "blotchy in spots" look that Birch and some other hardwoods get when staining...Bill

OK Re: your grain stain issue. La Scala's in raw Birch were never intended to be the focal point of your decor. However re-veneering them may not be as bad a task as you may think. Is the dog house relatively clean and void of this problem? If so you can re-veneer the out side panels, and top, then reface the HF section add grills and get away without having to deal with the dog house which is a real PITA to work in. Lastly add some edge banding and stain or lacquer and bada-bing the look much better. You can buy veneer that is still birch yet more aesthetically matching and pleasing.

If both speakers feature the same figuring, or staining, in the veneer, I would leave them well enough alone and finish them in a clear lacquer. If the speakers feature staining that is substantially different from each other, you could consider bleaching. I understand that furniture shops use bleaching on a regular basis. See the attached link for ideas. http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplrn/fplrn165.pdf It's a pdf file, so you'll need to give it time to load.

After bleaching, you could finish the speakers in clear lacquer, which looks great, or maybe with BLO.

To each his/her own, and that's just fine.

My FAVORITE Klipch finish is Raw Birch. My most lusted after Klipsch are RB LS. To me, they look like a piece of Donald Judd's sculpture (esoterica).

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/JJ/fjuyq.html

But then, I like minimalism and the bauhaus.

post-20991-13819286853272_thumb.jpg

post-20991-13819291117642_thumb.jpg

post-20991-1381929508006_thumb.jpg

3dzapper - Re the faceplate stain... No, they are pristine LaScalas, that spot is just the natural staining one would find in paint grade, lower quality birch. The other speaker's faceplate is clear. It's like it has a black eye. I'd love to veneer them (they scream for it), but it would take a years worth of practice before tackling. Yes, I feel painting would be an improvement and they sure as heck wouldn't be painted black! I keep wondering if I could bleach these defects out. Here's another gem:

LOL,thats not a black eye,its called Character!!!!

Whats wrong with Black? gotta be better than a black eye!

Greg

Am I the only one who sees the Virgin Mary in this grain?

Am I the only one who sees the Virgin Mary in this grain?

She loves you too. She loves all of us.

JMON,

That Birch is beautiful!

I'd get more money for these if she was crying. It's not enough just to see the image these days. Gotta have the tear thing happening.

I better move the LaScalas away from the Khorns as the Khorns have a pattern much like two pairs of old women's boobs. You know.... National Geographic stuff. Probably not appropriate for Mary to be around. Especially on Easter.

You're lucky. When I bought my decorator Cornwalls in 1974, the catalog assured me they were "ready for finishing." I was so thrilled to get them it took me several days to notice they were made out of fir plywood - I'm guessing B-C grade - as there were a few football shaped plugs on the surface. Not exactly furniture class wood. The birch looks much better, even under paint.

Mine started out with orange grill cloths (Hey, it was the seventies.) Then I stained them something my great aunt recommended called "fruitwood." Actually not a bad stain, but that plywood still didn't look too good. Then I covered them with black glue on plastic sheets that were supposed to look like slate (Hey, it was still the seventies) and put grills from a pair of JBL L-200s on them. That actually looked pretty nice until the foam decomposed and fell off onto the floor. Then the plastic began to get chipped and flake off. So I stripped the plastic off, sanded everything down, primed them, painted them semi-gloss black and put a grill over the woofers. Whew!

So after all that, I'm not too unhappy with birch plywood.