American Idol - Are you watching? Fess up

meagain

I thought Mary J. Blige suuckkked, If Dionne Warwick would have tried to hit the high notes her face would have split OMG that facelift looked like they used a winch to tighten her face with. I don't think Taylor is as marketable as Katherine will be. IMO he is more of a niche market performer she is notably more versatile. I thought Clay Aiken was KD Lang until he opened his mouth and sang, then I thought that poor kid shat himself right there on stage. I could have done without Prince. The funniest was the BrokeNote Cowboys or that friggin screaming crazy guy who ran right of the edge of the stage.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mandeesa was the best voice on the stage--what a diva!

Agreed. I think she got booted from the competition because she got up and sang that gospel stuff. Before that she was untouchable.

And while a entertaining night tonight TV did what TV does best it gave 60 million voters what they wanted!!! Taylor.. now if just 10% of those buy your cd... You can retire for sure..

I'd say that's a bit of a longshot. Maybe 2.5% to 3% if he's lucky (which is still better than most non-American Idols do these days). I can't imagine buying his CD, or a CD from Katherine for that matter. Somebody mentioned a few posts back that they purchased Fantasia's CD. I'm sorry you made that mistake, but what did you expect, I would not go near that thing.

Overall, an entertaining show, but anti-climactic. I mean, I had no doubt whatsoever that Taylor would win. Even though they didn't mention numbers, I bet he won by a pretty decent margin.

This is non PC, but its the truth-- Mandeesa got booted because of her booty. Maybe if she was a little thinner, like Aretha Franklin, she might have made it further. That incredible voice and performer is wrapped in a body that most Americans couldn't see as the American Idol. I bet she will dominate everyone during the Idol tour and maybe get a contract and a stomach staple. That probably sounds mean, but hey, she was the best performer of all of them.

It is amazing that Taylor beat Katherine. Amazing he won the whole thing for that matter. It happened for one reason -- he wanted it more. He's the American Idol not because of talent (he'll need a voice coach) or looks (touch of grey?), but because he was consistent, he was the biggest personality, and he worked the crowd like hell. He outworked everyone-- you can't trash that!

• Moderators

This is non PC, but its the truth-- Mandeesa got booted because of her booty. Maybe if she was a little thinner, like Aretha Franklin, she might have made it further. That incredible voice and performer is wrapped in a body that most Americans couldn't see as the American Idol. I bet she will dominate everyone during the Idol tour and maybe get a contract and a stomach staple. That probably sounds mean, but hey, she was the best performer of all of them.

Sadly, I think you may be right. I'm a "last hour" idol-watcher, so I didn't see her earlier in the season, but she was by far the best performer last night, IMO.

What's even more sad is size didn't hamper Ruben Studdard's ability to pull it off. Double standards....[:@].

I second your sentiments Amy and why is it America can accept a large male but female[:^)]

External beauty is so fleeting anyway, once it's gone or faded you best have some real talent and soul to fall back on[:o] it's really[:(]

The good part I hope is many of the contestants that don't win the or take second have been seen and more importantly heard and scouts have been watching[;)]

The show really has become such a spectacle with the spastic guy jumping in the mosh pit and the little guy who obviously loves Clay Aiken (sp?) by his reaction when he joined him in the Elton John number I just think it goes a little overboard but the ratings speak volumes and with that said what do I know[:|]

Agreed-- to a degree...

Ruben overcame it with those incredible jerseys he'd wear-- he was big but he was styling.

Maybe Mandeesa could have done the same if she had a better style person. Her outfits accentuated her body, and the cameras behind her weren't flattering. She is definitely beautiful--hopefully she will perform more--

Last night was a big night for her--she showed everyone who the real star was--

Kind of like Vince Young at the Rose Bowl this year.

Mandisa forgot the lyrics to 99% of her Bacharach spot last night! She messed up bigger than I've ever seen to date.

I had a problem with her singing low notes and during quiet/low segments. She couldn't handle it and was often off. She can wail great, but I felt failed when she had to tone it down. But yea, she was good.

Very few singers have a good lower register, it is harder to get the diaphragm to push air through struggling vocal cords in that range of a persons voice.

============

Hmm for women probably... Most men can relax and just sing it, milk it, and let it come out.. Course with proper air and support as well. Men often try to over sing the high notes. There is a natural head voice for most men that can be developed... with great range too.. But most try and push it without much luck. It is a hit or miss thing too. (Often missed)

Use it or lose it.. use it too much wrong and also lose it..

Sadley, most have no idea really how to sing and find their own voice!

• Moderators

still not watching.

Best quote yet. This may be hard to belive but last night we went to a club in Slidell La to hear some live music and so many people there were turning to the back to watch the big screen to see who won even the band took a break for 2 min to watch.

So i did watch for 2 min and it still sucked.

You have to understand how it works. The show is like... 3 months long or something. They start out with the auditions where you get the loony tunes people and people that can't sing in 'interesting' ways. It's halarious. The problem is, you start picking people. You start rooting for a few. Even some that stink - you get sucked into their story and want to see what happens to them. This is how the show sucks you in.

You have to understand that for most watchers, they've been following the winner for all this time and while the winner or runner(s) up, might be flawed, there's something there that made 65 million people vote. One gets invested. Watching one show - is sort of like reading one chapter of a book.

meagain's last two posts are right on the money. If any of you had seen Keith do Madonna, (in season two, I think) you would know what the faithful are talking about. I can't even think about that guy without laughin' like a fool! BTW, if he was acting, he should have received a major award for that performance.

I just have to point out that 65 million people did not vote. The majority of the 65 million are multiple votes, e.g. someone votes 12 times for their favorite.

I didn't watch the first two seasons because I was Too Cool to watch a stupid Pop-music show, but now I never miss an episode.

Actually, in season three I stopped watching, and vowed never to watch another episode after Latoya London got booted. I got over it though, and haven't missed an episode since.

You have to understand how it works. The show is like... 3 months long or something. They start out with the auditions where you get the loony tunes people and people that can't sing in 'interesting' ways. It's halarious. The problem is, you start picking people. You start rooting for a few. Even some that stink - you get sucked into their story and want to see what happens to them. This is how the show sucks you in.

You have to understand that for most watchers, they've been following the winner for all this time and while the winner or runner(s) up, might be flawed, there's something there that made 65 million people vote. One gets invested. Watching one show - is sort of like reading one chapter of a book.

65 million people did not vote! Most folks vote multiple times I'd be shocked if it were 15-20 million people who actually voted which is still incredibly impressive.

La Toya London, Jennifer Hudson and Diana DeGarmo were all better than Fantasia in my opinion. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />London and Hudson had it from the start and DeGarmo seemed to improve with each performance. London getting bumped so early was a bigger shock than Chris getting the axe this year.

Yep.

Diana DeGarmo was never that good, IMO. Fantasia was better, but I knew I would never want to listen to her music in the real world. She came back on Idol last year, and not only did I not understand what she was singing about, I thought she was having a fit on the stage.

meagain wrote: You have to understand how it works. The show is like... 3 months long or something. They start out with the auditions where you get the loony tunes people and people that can't sing in 'interesting' ways. It's halarious. The problem is, you start picking people. You start rooting for a few. Even some that stink - you get sucked into their story and want to see what happens to them. This is how the show sucks you in.

I think you got the part about "the show sucks" right! [;)]