American Idol - Are you watching? Fess up

meagain

Country, rap, hip-hop, etc, etc... I don't consider that music. And now more "artists" these days are doing nothing but taking older songs that REAL artists wrote and botching them up by adding a deep bass beat to them, remixing them, and adding their own stupid rap lyrics to it, making it even worse.

You know, back in the day, people like Sting, Phil Collins, and many many others wrote and sang their own songs. These days, these new artists are stealing those old songs and screwing them up. It's pertty bad when they make millions off of someone else's songs and ideas.

And I'm not even get into the whole "wanna-be's" crowd.

What are you even talking about??? What does any of this have to do with the show? American Idol has nothing to do with rap/hip-hop, and none of the contestants do that type of music. I understand your point, even if I don't necessarily agree with it (you think Sting and Phil Collins never borrowed from people that came before them? Plus, nobody is stealing other people's songs, they are paying huge money for the rights to use samples from the "real" artists' songs) but it has nothing to do with the topic.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's OK to admit it.... :) I didn't want to watch it due to being so upset at last years. I got sucked in again because the audition shows are so funny. Anyway, who do you like/not like? Anyone irritate you for no apparent reason? Who should go next? Better yet - do you care? :)

Not even one epsiode ...it's NOT a talent show...at best it's a TV execs concept of a talent show - real talent happens even without psuedo fame. HBO, HGTV,some of the educational oreiented channels on cable are all that hold any interest to me anymore...

I won't admit that I like to watch it, I just sit thru it to be with my wife in the evening. But I had dinner at the Outback in Methuen (north of Boston) on Tuesday night and I actually caught myself smiling to the music. They had it on a 32" TV. Who cares about the singing? Kelly's the Babe!

The real winner was the RedSox game on a huge widescreen HDTV. When the camera zoomed in on the pitch from behind the pitcher, you could count the number of spins on the ball! It was really spectactular. WOW.

Country, rap, hip-hop, etc, etc... I don't consider that music. And now more "artists" these days are doing nothing but taking older songs that REAL artists wrote and botching them up by adding a deep bass beat to them, remixing them, and adding their own stupid rap lyrics to it, making it even worse.

You know, back in the day, people like Sting, Phil Collins, and many many others wrote and sang their own songs. These days, these new artists are stealing those old songs and screwing them up. It's pertty bad when they make millions off of someone else's songs and ideas.

And I'm not even get into the whole "wanna-be's" crowd.

What are you even talking about??? What does any of this have to do with the show? American Idol has nothing to do with rap/hip-hop, and none of the contestants do that type of music. I understand your point, even if I don't necessarily agree with it (you think Sting and Phil Collins never borrowed from people that came before them? Plus, nobody is stealing other people's songs, they are paying huge money for the rights to use samples from the "real" artists' songs) but it has nothing to do with the topic.

Yeah, sorry for the little rant, but you did say a show about music, and what I was talking about was also music.

Whatever floats your boat, that's cool. It's just not my cup - O - java. [;)]

However, on that note, I DO highly agree with colter on what he said.

cecaawhatever - is that an espresso/capuchino maker in your Avatar? LOL - what's up with that!?

Espresso maker. Legal speed, gotta love it. I change my avatar occasionally. It's an Italian machine made by Isomac. Does a great job.

I was gonna ask you if that was a SAECO machine.

Ten Ways to Improve American Idol

1. When a contestant is voted off, send them to fight in Iraq. That'll get a sincere performance out of 'em.

2. Count notes during the performance. If they fail to hit the required 3000 notes in 1.5 minutes, make them spend a night in the motel with Paula.

3. Make them sing at least one song in the nude. No, scratch that. Those three hundred pounders are convinced they have talent, so they are probably convinced they are attractive, too.

4. Dig up a different dead rock star each episode to prop up there as a guest judge. I suspect John Lenon or Jim Morrison can draw bigger numbers dead than their current guest judges do alive.

5. Cancel it and not show any reruns.

6. Make a terrorist version with Osama and al-Jarkawi as judges. I'm sure the favorite event among audiences will be the suicide bomb event, but I suggest they run that as the last event of every show. This show will stay much fresher because they will need to have new contestants every week. Hint: If they ask for volunteers from the audience, don't hold up your hand.

7. Bring back talent show mainstays like "The Hook" and trap door.

8. Ditch the guest judges and add Triumph the insult comic dog as the regular third judge.

9. Have the contestants sing at least one song in a completely soundproof booth. That will make it easier to concentrate on checking out their bods without the distraction of the sound of a cat being strangled.

10. Alternate the regular show with one where the contestants judge the judges on their judging ability and vote off the worst one. Abdul will be first to go but no doubt she'll keep coming back until she realizes they won't pay her.

Agreed-- she seemed to go toward that type of song where the back up singers sing the melody and she sings scales and yelps over it--

Kills me that Eliott was second lowest--he's got the best voice, but if you don't pick good songs...

Katherine stunk up the place Tuesday -- her worst outing. I thought she would go--

Its Chris's to lose--

I thought Katherine was awful on the first song but, thought she did much better on the 2nd where she was on her knees. Thought the song was interesting at least. Sometimes her voice is grating to me. Harshish.

The problem I have with Eliott is strength. I know he's got a great voice but sometimes it seems that he doesn't have enough air behind it. Like he runs out of gas a bit. I detect at the end of a vocal run, he often tapers down at the end. Like the last word will be softer than it should sometimes. I know he was sick as a kid and I think lung issues? It's hard for me to explain. But he's great and I know this shouldn't matter, but he's adorable. Seems like a real good guy. I thought Eliott's 'bottom 2 re-sing' of 'Broadway' last night was spectacular and far better than Tuesday's version. I think he suffers a bit from nerves?

Taylor - IDK what to think of him. He's curious. But - eh. Time to go?

Chris - It's been his to lose since day one. Tuesday I was struck by how clear/clean/pristine his voice is. Spot on. He will win. Or should IMO.

Would like to see Eliott in the final 2 but I don't think it's going to happen. Guess I'd like to see Taylor go next, then Kat. I might go so far as to actually phone in some votes next week (I'm semi-embarrassed to say).... for Eliott. He should NOT go next.