A new look for Hovland!

Yup, because Audiophools will believe almost everything.

I didn't know it but I had my interconnects plugged in backwards for 5 years!

And of course you have to have 'Balanced Outputs' for those 5 foot runs!

Also make sure you 'Cook' and then 'Freeze' your interconnects before using them!

Good grief Al c'mon. Its just like putting a fuse symbol on a schematic. You know that you have to line it up so it matches AC input phase or good greif youd have all you input AC out of phase with yer fuse fer cryin out loud. Imagine that catastrophe.[:D]

I suspect this was done to ease the fears of, and stop calls from, people like my brother-in-law. While he was trying to hook up a telephone he called me at least four times for direction. Each time I said, "There are two wires. You can hook them up either way."

He would be much more comfortable with the new Hovlands, if only he weren't color blind.

I did ask once what the colors mean...this is the response I received from one of the technical boffins..

"On the Coupling series caps, the red lead is the inner foil's edge and

>should be connected as the output side of the cap, towards the the next

>stage in the circuit. If the output side of circuit is not obvious (or

>if used in parallel, say in a crossover or as a power supply bypass),

>then connect the red lead to the lower potential side. On the Speaker

>MusiCap series, the lead with the blue stripe is equivalent to the the

>red lead, so the same above guidelines apply. The capacitors will of

>course work fine in either direction, but we think you will find that

>or suggestions will yield a more natural, less fatiguing

>presentation--though not quite as initially "exciting" as going the

>other way".

There you have it Believe It Or Not!

Yup, because Audiophools will believe almost everything.

Also make sure you 'Cook' and then 'Freeze' your interconnects before using them!

I thought it was "Freeze" then "Cook" the ICs?!?! [:^)]

Doesn't really matter. I just put mine in the microwave oven for 1 and 1/2 hours on the Roast Beef setting.

BTW, in doing this, it also does wonders for the microwave oven! [:P]

"if used in parallel, say in a crossover or as a power supply bypass, then connect the red lead to the lower potential side. On the Speaker MusiCap series, the lead with the blue stripe is equivalent to the the red lead"

This is exacty opposite to how I was told to connect them early on! I have been connecting the blue striped lead to ground or on to the next stage on every netwrok I have ever built with them. That's over 200 set now. It's pure BS! The inside or outside foil is meaningless on a spiral anyhow except for the outermost turn! That means nothing to a crossover network.

Al K.

Al, I guess I need to send my networks back to you to have the caps reversed. Would that be covered under warranty? Will I need to reverse the wires going to the individual drivers when I reinstall them? I guess I should also rotate my speakers so the wear evenly!

Guest " "

So I guess if I don't want this feature and want legacy non-polarized caps, I will need two in series, and either put them green to green or red to red? But wait, then I would have a polarized cap, so I would need 2 pairs of green to green or red to red. No that would not work either because I would be back to where I started with a polarized non-polarized capacitor.

This must be a new way to sell more caps.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I know this is a dead thread....but.....

Is the conclusion that the input/output of these capacitors nothing I should worry about? I am about to use one in series with a filter....unparalleled with another cap.

jc