WHAT SHALL BE MY FIRST LP.....

Gilbert

Been thinkin on this one, while I await the order and delivery of an SPU for my new/used TT, I need to get a few LP's to take for a spin....any suggestions (hint, I like everything, except rap, and hiphop).

I don't know if you are into Madonna (I'm not really), but I bought her lated cd and was absolutely blown away (Confessions on the dance floor). When I decided to go vinyl, I purchased the LP before the turntable.......I STILL HAVEN'T GOTTEN THE TURNTABLE I WANT YET...............but it's coming very soon, I hope.

Anyway, this will be the first LP I will play.

Madonna puts out outstanding recordings. Even if you are not into her, you might dig the recordings.

The "Confessions on the dance floor" album is disco. I has great imaging on the cd being fun through a crappy cd player.

Have fun.

ZZ top "Legs" might be a fun one as well.

Gilbert -

Listen to Allan. Wise words. The first thing I listened to when I got my Khorns was Supertramp's Crime of the Century (MFSL CD). Not necessarily my favorite album (it's definitely up there though), but it had meaning to me. And the Khorns played it for me like I had never heard it before.

When I get my 'new' Scott from Craig and finally hook up the Thorens to the Khorns, I can guarantee that I will again start with Crime (MFSL vinyl). Once I experience that, I will then be able to enjoy going through everything else I have.

Chuck

I think Allan and others are on track with picking a favorite...but I would add to make sure it is a good version of one of your personal favorites. I suggest dropping $30 on a 200g Classic Records Reissue. There has to be something you love in their catalog. I have several Jazz and Rock LPs from them and none disappoint.

My current top 3 favorites are:

AREP-48935.jpghttp://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=15125&section=music I got the blue 7 inch 45, let me know what color you get

ATC-7255.jpghttp://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=11483&section=music Can't beat the Ocean on this one!

ABNC-4003.gifhttp://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=13720&section=music A real gem.

What's your favorite album of all time?

That's what you need to buy.

That is a very difficult question to answer Allan. But I think I understand where your going with this. Damm Good Idea. I should have thought about it....I'll have to included a couple of LP's that I'm very very familiar with on CD's. That should make for an excellent sound comparison.

I guess if I had to pick only ONE it would be "Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section"

4712675966.jpg

While definitely not my favorite album of all time, Meets The Rhythm Section is always the first jazz LP I play when someone comes over to audition my system. Fantastic album and a great recording.

Gilbert,

When will you be up and running? There are a couple I'd like to send you as a "getting into vinyl" starter package.[;)]

A suggestion is buy the favorite LP of the music that you liked in some other medium and then to get the real enjoyment out of it go to someone like www.needledoctor.com and purchase one of the test records so you can be sure your new arm and cartridge are set up correctly. The right setup, stylus for old mono LP's and the right stylus for stereo LP's will make a tremendous difference in your listening pleasure. Don't forget to buy a record cleaning kit. Some of the enjoyment goes away when you listen to dirty records.

Lots of pleasure

Norm

Tough one Gilbert, my first LP that I bought with my own money was "Every Picture Tells A Story" and it now has a lot of sentimental value along with it's historical value.

I was 13 years old at the time and had I been older and had a much bigger musical library I would really have to think about that first purchase for my new vinyl rig as I would want a little of all types of things, the music, where my heads at and really trying to get something that will never be fogotten for better or worse of how it ends up sounding if that makes any sense at all[:^)]

I guess I'm with Alan on this one if not favorite album of all time how about the single you like the most or is of most importance to you.

Good luck as I know first hand you are going to be loving what you hear[;)]

I guess if I had to pick only ONE it would be "Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section"

4712675966.jpg

Man!, look at that big-daddy sax. I love it, and will be a copy cat. Hope this aint one your $1000 LP's Allan [+o(]

4712675966.jpg

Man!, look at that big-daddy sax. I love it, and will be a copy cat. Hope this aint one your $1000 LP's Allan [+o(]

Gilbert,

Mine is a reissue that cost less than $20 and is one of the best sounding jazz albums I own! Actually, it was a gift from Boomac but almost all the Contemporary reissues I own sound great.

Thank you Gary,...and now I'll take back my comment, you are more deserving of those khorns [;)]. But only marginally, so don't let it go to your head.[:o]

It'll probably be the end of June, before I'm up and running. Or worstcase senario, the first couple weeks into July.

I found the TT setup and arm assembly pretty straight forward. I referenced a couple of sites that Allan gave me, and it was really simple. Once I get my SPU, I don't anticipate the balancing will be that difficult. Seems like pretty easy stuff, but I'd better hold my tounge now, because I may endup screeming for our resident Jazz and TT experts' help.

I actually like the Plinth that Kudret made, but I still prefer the smaller vintage looking black plinth. So far I am very impressed with this TT. I've never owned a precision TT, all I could afford before was junk. The platter rotation is so smooth and precise feeling. A close inspection of the the rubber gromets, idler wheel, and mushrooms (or whatever you call the rubber base mounts), suggest that the TT was hardly used, and well cared for. It really looks like new. I'm very happy with it so far.