What piece of your system did you spend the most on?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have to go to work today! ;^)

I think my most expensive piece(s) of gear were the '77 KBWO Khorns at $1800. Followed closely by the pair of KSP-400s @ $1400. Mostly though, I am a tightwad when it comes to gear (of course, I consider $1800 Khorns a bargain, too), witness the $200 TD-124 I grabbed 1-1/2 weeks ago...Mike Stehr is the patron saint of this religion, though. The guy actually knows how to fix stuff, and he does!

CD player, then amplifiers.

Really? What's your cd player?

I wondered if some sharp-eyed, sharp-minded forum denizen (who I could guess) would pick up on that. Wadia 270 and 27i modded by Great Northern Sound. I wanted to enjoy my CDs as much as LPs, and that's what it took to come close enough to my LP setup.

Awesome system Raptor man!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Clean the records with Windex, do you? ;)

Nice set-up, with the TT in front of the floor shaking sub

Some time ago, the venerable Stereophile magazine asked this same question. If I remember correctly, the answer was something like this:

The average tweaking audiophile spend about $6,000 on their home movie and music reproduction system, about twice what the public spends and most of them still had a component in the system that was more than 10 years old.

My system so far:

Klipsch Khorns

19%

Bottlehead 2A3 Paramours

14%

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />ACI Titan

14%

Dynaco PAS 3 pre-amplifier

9%

Rotel CD player

9%

Line conditioner

9%

Some of the best sounding components I have were cheap or free: $35 Sonic Impact 5066 class T digital amplifier, vintage Blaupunkt tube, single driver Super Hi-Fi (shortwave) radio and Harmon/Kardon 330B (single transformer) solid-state receiver.

In fact, either the SI or the Harmon/Kardon with my $40 DVD player and $45 Altec Lansing Model One cone loudspeakers (less than a $100!) makes for incredible sound compared to the $5K invested in my big ole horn system.

CD player, then amplifiers.

Really? What's your cd player?

I wondered if some sharp-eyed, sharp-minded forum denizen (who I could guess) would pick up on that. Wadia 270 and 27i modded by Great Northern Sound. I wanted to enjoy my CDs as much as LPs, and that's what it took to come close enough to my LP setup.

Did you guess me? [:D]

Well I just did a little research on your dac/transport and all I can say is holy crap! I want to be just like you when I grow up! [;)]

That must sound incredible! I'm still using my dvd player for redbook cd's. Hell, you would probably throw up if you had to listen to that. LOL

Presently, I'm still working on my turntable, and when I have that all squared away I'll start focusing on a real good cd player. It won't be in your neighborhood but it should be much better than what I'm using now. [:D]

Would love to come listen to your rig while I'm up there in November. I've got your home number so will give you a ring when I'm in town.

Mike

That must sound incredible! I'm still using my dvd player for redbook cd's. Hell, you would probably throw up if you had to listen to that. LOL

Presently, I'm still working on my turntable, and when I have that all squared away I'll start focusing on a real good cd player. It won't be in your neighborhood but it should be much better than what I'm using now. [:D]

Would love to come listen to your rig while I'm up there in November. I've got your home number so will give you a ring when I'm in town.

Mike

This is one of those Musical or Accurate? things (DeanG's thread), where I don't think one has to fall all over themselves to get a perfectly fine, very listenable, MUSICAL system. For example, over the past weekend, I heard Boomac's setup of an Eastern Electric CD player, BAT preamp and amp (not cheap, but he got the amp off of Audiogon for half of new), and [edit] his Cornwalls with the [end edit] original crossovers -- and he and I agreed it was great to listen to any kind of music on. I don't think anyone would hunger for my system over his!

I have gone all-out for classical, and I don't think people think it's necessarily the best for jazz, etc.

Yes, please do give me a holler when you're up this way. Give me a little notice, please.

Larry

Did Scott really drop the original crossovers back into those? Good Lord, that's depressing.

NO!!

He has TWO Cornwalls and your networks are in his downstairs pair. Apparently Gary and Allan liked that pair and your networks better. Sorry, should have clarified that.

Awesome system Raptor man!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Clean the records with Windex, do you? ;)

Nice set-up, with the TT in front of the floor shaking sub

Some time ago, the venerable Stereophile magazine asked this same question. If I remember correctly, the answer was something like this:

The average tweaking audiophile spend about $6,000 on their home movie and music reproduction system, about twice what the public spends and most of them still had a component in the system that was more than 10 years old.

My system so far:

Klipsch Khorns

19%

Bottlehead 2A3 Paramours

14%

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />ACI Titan

14%

Dynaco PAS 3 pre-amplifier

9%

Rotel CD player

9%

Line conditioner

9%

Some of the best sounding components I have were cheap or free: $35 Sonic Impact 5066 class T digital amplifier, vintage Blaupunkt tube, single driver Super Hi-Fi (shortwave) radio and Harmon/Kardon 330B (single transformer) solid-state receiver.

In fact, either the SI or the Harmon/Kardon with my $40 DVD player and $45 Altec Lansing Model One cone loudspeakers (less than a $100!) makes for incredible sound compared to the $5K invested in my big ole horn system.

Actually that is a spray bottle of Woolite Oxy Deep. I can't find anything better for cleanning real dirty records.--I think Allan uses it as well for his expensive Jazz vinyl records.

That is an old picture, I have the TT where the VPI RCM is now; not that it makes any difference. Believe me I have expiremented/move things around a gazillion times. The sub being right beside the TT does not make any difference. I would not really call it earth shaking--It goes really deep I mean deep. Violins and cellos sounds like its out of this world. The only thing about these Titans is that placement is very crucial, you can move it an inch or so the wrong way and you lost the depth of the imaging or the the whole soundstage for that matter. My floor is full of masking tape just so I don't forget where I had the speakers last time. Once you get the correct placement--it does sound. very nice.

Well mine was VRD's, RF-50 for HT, Khorns...but now I have lost my mind for a pour man and have a MC402 on the way. It was used at one show by McIntosh, sent back to the factory for complete inspection, and now mine for $2745 including shipping. Couidn't pass it up.