Anyone know how well the new "Heritage" series is selling?

Heideana

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was surprised that the 60th anniversary Khorns didn't generate much interest among US dealers.

However, I don't think that reflects how sales are going on the rest of the Heritage line. It seems to me that I'm running across more posts and conversations of folks who are purchasing new Heritage speakers, more Cornwalls than anything else.... compared to the last two or three years.

Don't know if what I'm picking up on is translating into more units, but I hope so.

I'm suprised they can't get at least the KHorns into more audio stores. They tuck into corners nicely without taking up too much real estate and you can place other showroom speakers in front of them without getting in the way.

What is so expensive about this speaker from a manufacturing point of view? Obviously the construction is hard for the novice. Shops should have jigs, fixtures and equipment as well as Fab-to prints. The material is bulk. Just see Bob, Al and every body else about the rest. I suspect they charge for an eloquent design. Hey, I got an idea, lets get it made in china thru Walmart.

The following was posted by Andy, who used to build these things. For simple boxes like the cornwall and Heresy, the basic time is short. Much of this could have changed with the new models, but I would guess the times are still pretty close. Scary how quickly you can knock out a Cornwall or Hersesy cabinet. You must notice, however, that there is prep time that he does not include. The finishing can also be a time consuming ordeal.

====

Klipschorn: This speaker's cabinet assembly takes one man, with occassional help, about a day and a half or so to assemble, providing everything runs smoothly. Keep in mind that all parts are already cut and , if need be, routed; and that certain sub-assemblies (such as the upper and lower "wing" assemblies) are already completed before the builder begins the process.

Belle Klipsch: The assembly of this cabinet was almost exclusively done by the builder, including any sub-assemblies. Lots of alignment markings and such involved, including a good number of glue block installations not necessary for the LaScala build. With parts assembled and ready for a builder, it took about a day and a half or so for a builder to do ONE when I worked there.

LaScala: A really good builder COULD build about five of these a day, IF everything ran smoothly...this includes building up three doghouse sub-assemblies in the last hour and a half, or so, of the day for the next day's production...average number built was more like 3-1/2 a day.

Cornwall, mitered models: A good builder with a helper(normally used on these) could build one cabinet in about ten minutes...this does not include preparation time. Seldom did it take an entire day to build up the mitered Cornwalls required for a week's worth of orders when I worked there, though.

Cornwalls, birch models, flush-front decorator: One builder could build one of these in about 10-12 minutes...providing everything was prepped and ran smoothly. Normally a builder and a helper were used, though

Cornwalls, birch, drop-in front decorator models: Builder and helper normally used...about one cabinet every 7-8 minutes or so, if everything ran smoothly and not including prep-time, etc.

Heresys, mitered, chain w/clamp build: Normally one builder used. Everything running smoothly and not including prep time, about 7-10 minutes each.

Heresys, mitered, pneumatic assembly jig: Normally one builder used, about 5-6 minutes each, not including prep time and provided everything went smoothly.

Heresys, birch decorator, flush front style cabinet: normally one builder used. Provided everything ran smoothly, about one every 3-5 minutes, not including prep time.

Heresy, birch decorator, drop-in front style cabinet: One builder, about one every 3-5 minutes, provided everything went smoothly and not including prep time...Often the builder had a helper to install the rear glue blocks, caulk them up, and then install the drop-in front.

I wish Andy had clued us in on roughly how much prep time was involved on each speaker. Like on the Khorn, parts already cut, already routered, sub-assemblies already made. But of course anything that is set up automated is going to be hundreds of times faster than an individual making one in his woodshop.

Don't hesitate to correct me if I am wrong, but as I understood it last weekend, the demand for Cornwall lll is greater than anticipated, and production is struggling to fill the orders. ??

tc

That is my understanding through the grapevine. I have no idea of actual numbers.

Did the Hope contingent hear anything about how many were being produced or batch sizes- anything like that? How big of a pile of units in assembly were seen in the warehouse?

I guess I'm not surprised that no one in the US of A bought a pair of the 60th anniversary K's for $13,500.

You could buy a pair of "standard" K-Horns for $7,500, a LaScala II for $2,750 for center channel, and a pair of Cornwall III's for $3,500 ($1,750 each) for L/R rears, for only $250 more than the 60th K's, and have a KILLER two channel, or 3 channel, or 5.1 system.

Don't hesitate to correct me if I am wrong, but as I understood it last weekend, the demand for Cornwall lll is greater than anticipated, and production is struggling to fill the orders. ??

tc

Sure hope that's true. That being said, it is my sincere hope that Klipsch will reintoduce the Cornwall (III) to AAFES. Yep, I have some sentimental issues with that being done because I bought my 80 CWO's from the Audio Photo Club at Torrejon AB, Spain while I was in the USAF from 78-82. Ahhh.......the memories. [:)]

Lonng live the Cornwall!!!

Since Marvel was talking about assembly times of the heritage line, does anyone have the picture of Klipsch advertising campaign, possibly early eighties. The one where the guy is sanding on a piece of plywood of what looked like the internal workings of a KHORN. The caption read something like Our New Automated Assembly Line, or something to that effect. It stated how many screws were in it, and man hours were listed too.

Just curious, I usually save those pictures but I don't think I saved that one. I would really like to have it, so If you've it or know where its at, please post it or its whereabouts.

Thanks

• Moderators

From what recall i only seen 1 pair of Lascala ll's in the factory, on a pallet unboxed.

I thought I had heard the first orders for the Cornwall lll was 3 times what they were expecting. I don't know about the rest of the line.

It looked like all they were building when took the tour, of the Heritage line were the special edition Korns, i could be wrong.

I think they are built per order, or when someone orders they may make a few. I could be wrong but they may make a few when they get a order it would make sense not to setup just for one pair. They was not a stock of Heritage made and ready to ship, I didn't see them if they were.

From what recall i only seen 1 pair of Lascala ll's in the factory, on a pallet unboxed.

I thought I had heard the first orders for the Cornwall lll was 3 times what they were expecting. I don't know about the rest of the line.

It looked like all they were building when took the tour, of the Heritage line were the special edition Korns, i could be wrong.

I think they are built per order, or when someone orders they may make a few. I could be wrong but they may make a few when they get a order it would make sense not to setup just for one pair. They was not a stock of Heritage made and ready to ship, I didn't see them if they were.

They do batch production. I think the number in a batch varies from unit to unit. When we were there last year, they had KPT480's (dual 18") just out of assembly, MWM's were also stockpiled, KPT250 (wedge style commercial surronds) were in final assembly and paint booth. And there was a field full of RF7's in cherry just out of stain and paint, waiting for final components.

There is a warehouse building that you pass on the way to the factory, that is where 'ready to ship' units are held. So you would have seen only units in actual production at the factory.

Is there a boxing area in the factory somewhere? You'd think they'd package them up nice before moving them anywhere.

M

• Moderators

We were told orders for the Cornwall III's exceeded anticipated sales X 3.

We did see a "boxing area" in the factory during the Pilgramage to Hope. The only speakers I recall seeing boxed were the anniversary K-horns. However, it is possible the factory was "cleaned up" before we toured.

They package up everything just as it comes out of the acoustical testing chamber. One final visual inspection and on goes the plastic and then foam and then in the box.

Earlier in the week they were finishing up a run of some heritage stuff and if you looked around there were building schedules posted on the bulletin boards. I don't remember the actual numbers, but there were 2 days in every week dedicated to the heritage stuff. All the speakers we heard in the dedicated listening room were fresh off the line (I even got to see them being built).

For what it's worth, Klipsch just isn't targeting the US market with the heritage line. And we can all blaim ourselves for always going to the used market.