HEATWAVE

BigStewMan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

91 here right now with a 98 degree heat index.

And where am I off to? Going to play tennis outside! Gotta sweat a few pounds off.

Yeah, I went outside to go for a bike ride this afternoon. Overdid it a bit and six hours later I'm still cooling myself with wet towels and now a chilled rosé. [:)] Just imagine the guys in the Tour de France riding more than 7 hours climbing mountains at 105 degrees at a speed of plus 40 km/hour. Unbelieveable!!! What a great sport to watch! We miss Lance, but we don't miss his supremacy. This is the most exiting tour since years! Don't get me wrong, Lance is definately one of my alltime heroes.

I understand, just like when the Williams sisters just dominated or when Tiger Woods was winning everything. Just is not fun without some competition. Also I hear that wine is great when they get lots of rain early and deep heat during July and August.

yesterday evening in the Chicagoland area...100 degrees Farenheit...stifling...today...hot but a little breezy but hasn't hit the 100 mark again...

Bill

Yesterday at 1:00 PM I saw 104° F (40° C) actual temperature, here in Naperville.

Greg

Some one should save this thread to re-post in Jan. or Feb. when we are all bitching about the cold and snow...............Americans never happy..........stll great to be alive in America, hot or cold..................96 degrees Upstate N.Y..............

I was thinking the same thing this morning. Standing on the train platform at 5:15 am, the bank time / temperature sign just across from the station read 81 degrees already. In January I'll be standing on that same platform in the snow, 5 or 10 below zero, 20 MPH wind, and it'll be DARK. When I get out of work on that January day it'll be dark already, I won't see the sun on any weekdays for 2 months. Today when I get out of work it'll be close to 100 again, the sun will be out, and I will go home to sit on my deck and have a drink with my wife while the Weber is getting ready, and listening to my Klipsch outdoor speakers. I am not gonna complain about this weather, I love it.

- Jim

95 degrees today in Burlington, VT and I love it!

I grew up in Laredo, TX (the devil's armpit) over 100 days of over 100 degrees and this is nothing!

I say bring it on! Summer's are way to short here anyway, and we have had a ton of crappy rainy days so this is very welcome to me.

Of course I type this as I sit in an air conditioned office like mother nature intended.

There are some long-term implications with this heat, if it continues.

Egg laying reptiles gender during development is influenced by incubation temp. A variance of a few degrees causes a shift in one gender or another.

Land mammals (primates especially) have reduced sperm counts during long term heat waves and historical dips in world wide population has been associated with increases in global temperatures.

So we will have more gators with less for them to eat.

Just checked the temps here in F'burg, VA! 98 with a "real feel" of 108 degrees! It is friggan hot out. Yesterday, I was at the river, and I just did not want to get out of the water. Well, it is supposed to "cool" off by the weekend, it it "only" getting up to around 88 degrees.

About the winter and all the cold and snow - well, I got my skiing to look forward to. In fact, it is usually late fall and early spring that I don't like. To warm to go skiing, but still to damn cold to go swimming.

Today it is supposed to reach 102 with a bloody heat index. I hate summers in the south. Someone once tried to tell me I'll aclimate BS I have lived in the south most of my life and have never aclimated...grrrr I'm going crazy from the heat