Magnaplanar SMG's for sale - $300

I have a pair of excellent condition Magnaplar SMG's that I no longer use. I am the second owner and they have been very well kept. Great opportunity to try planars for cheap. They wil not replace your K Horns, but work very well in a second system. Nice imaging.

You can email me at nevadamail@hotmail.com

Chris

Absolutely correct.

This would be a nice way to get the flavor of planar speakers and they are a decent price.

I have a pair of these myself, although I have since moved on to Martin-Logans (a similar technolgy, but I am not able to sell old speakers - I just store them)).

Chris is understating the imaging. It not merely nice, rather it can be fantasic!

The mid range is very nice and they have an "effortless" sound (the words are difficult). They are sensitive to room placement and require a bigger amp that can deliver current. But they are certainly fun to play with.

I think these would be a good deal of fun for someone

My thoughts...... ,

-Tom

It is ironic that a number of Klipsch fans also like Maggies, myself included! What could be more different from a horn-loaded system than a planar driver with no enclosure? But Maggies have a really nice sounding mid-range and they work especially well for vocal music and jazz. They are also very forgiving for those amps that sound harsh or brittle with horns. So they are handy things for Klipschers to have around--drive 'em with the equipment that doesn't cut it with the horns! I think those SMGs are one of the best deals in audio.

triceratops

I owned maggies for many years, the sound is staggering, but they definately won't get in your face. I had a pair of 1.6's and a pair of 2.8's powered by a pair of McIntosh MC352's in mono (700 watts RMS) They love power and a big room. I ended up getting rid of them because they just didn't fit in the room I had at the time. Now where I live I have the room but don't have the maggies. Don't you just hate that when it happens that way?

Jack

Tiger, owned a pair back in the late 80's and ran them with Crown series two! If I had not just dropped funds on another turn table we would have a deal[:)]

It is funny to see how many Klipsch fans also like Maggies when they truly are on opposite ends of the planet as far as sound and function!

Many great points have been brought up in that they do need open room placement and plenty of good watts to make them sing but that they will do if driven by good high current power[;)]

Good luck as I'm always watching the planars on A-goN and will have another pair one day[:o]

You are making a great offer and I'm sure these will go soon[:(] for me but [:D] for you.

I also liked the sound of Maggies...was this close to buying them for Home Theater use (Maggies or Synergy F3s at the time) when I found this place...of course Magnepan didn't have the cool Forum like here...and we know what happened then...[;)] [:P]

Bill

Well I guess it boils down to Klipsch / Maggie fans know what sounds good. Yes they are on opposite ends of the spectrum, totally. now if you could just couple a horn to a planar driver, Humm now that could be interesting

Actually this is a fantasy of mine.

I have Martin Logan Aerius & K-Horns. The aerius is an electrostat hybrid. Hybrid in that they have a small woofer to handle 500Hz and below (getting a panel to do low frequency is both expensive and problematic - they need to be large etc). The fantasy is to use a the K-Horn bass bin combined with the panel of the Aerius. This would be done using a digital crossover (steepish slopes and time delay required). May have to partially mix the L&R going to the bass bins since they would be further to the sides than the Aerius panels. Time delay would correct for the series of problems (cabinets at different distances etc).

The fantasy continues, why not use DIY Jubilee bass bins.

Just a thought,

-Tom

Horns and planar drivers are incredibly compatible. So too are horns and electrostatic hybrids like ML's. Why? I'm not too sure. Maybe it's because all these speakers present the detail in a coherent and dynamic fashion. Actually it's quite possible to mix horns and Maggies or horns and ML's. Maybe not in the same cabinet, but you could match say, a large pair of Maggies or ML's front channel and a pair of Heresys or La Scalas rear channel. I reckon that'd work real well...[8]

The only problem I could see is the difference in efficiency ratings, I would have to dig thru some of my old brouchure but your standard measurement of Xdb at 1 meter with 1 watt is something like 86 or 88. Extremely inefficient speaker. I have had 4 different models of Magnepans and a couple pair of KLH 9's

The only problem I could see is the difference in efficiency ratings, I would have to dig thru some of my old brouchure but your standard measurement of Xdb at 1 meter with 1 watt is something like 86 or 88. Extremely inefficient speaker. I have had 4 different models of Magnepans and a couple pair of KLH 9's

In the fantasy I would be bi-amping these since I would need to use a digital crossover to time-align the different cabinets. Simply use a few resistors as a voltage divider to match the levels. Certainly the type of amp you would use for panel speakers would be quite different anyway.

-Tom

Chris,

Hold that thought... If all goes as planned (working out all the little details), I will be making a little road trip and picking up a pair in 18 days.

OW, 97's, seq S#, AK3 xovers, original owner

Times like this go so slow, why didn't the other 54 years of my life go by this slow?

Jack