OT just a cat

colterphoto1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GOOD NEWS, I got a response to the flyers already. Neighbor two doors north saw her yesterday. Drove by there, the next neighbor north was outside and said she'd seen her this morning. Both described Macy to a 'T'. Went all over calling her name, didn't get her yet, but at least know she's okay and in the area!

Will go back out this afternoon. Thanks for the positive vibes!

Michael

Great news!! I'm sure she'll be back home in no time.

I am a little worried though. I can just picture you in your neighbors yard as she's going to get the mail and you're bent over, clapping your hands and saying "Hurry, Hurry, there ya go, hurry, hurry"

Hope you two are back together by the end of the day.

Frustrating! Can you get out there now? How far away is this location? I think you said you have 2 acres? She can get far if she wants to and if a dog, etc. chases her - might lose her more. Bet she can't find you. Too far.

They're ALL 1.5-3 acres around here. This might take a while. Heading out right now. And yes, according to reports, she's wandering further away from home each day....

I was out three times today for about 30 minutes each and could not locate her.

Let's hope by the time the Forum is back and running that I'm back to three cats!

(ok three and a half counting the little one). I think her name will be Snowy White, after the guitar player for Roger Waters- She's totally snow white with just a bit of orange/black on tail and head. And all my cats have to have Rock and Roll names. It's just the way it is!

Signing out

Michael

One of my two cats has feral inclinations, and escaped out an open window one night. I and others often saw him sitting on a stoop 2 houses away, but he would run away when any of us walked toward him. I set food out on my front porch, and caught him eating one day when I opened my front door -- and he ran away! He clearly wasn't in the mood to come back inside.

I finally got a larger size Hav-A-Hart animal trap at Home Depot and baited it with sardines, which he could smell a mile away of course. I put it right in what appeared to be his path between whereever he was hiding (behind an empty house next door) and my front porch, and under a bush so's he would feel he could sneak into it without being seen. I had him a couple of hours later.

I think knowing about where he was, plus the rather obvious pathway between the two houses, plus he WAS hungry, added up to a good chance of catching him. I also papered neighborhood telephone poles with pics showing a distinctive blaze on his nose, so that a neighbor wouldn't adopt him by mistake.

However, a friend lost her cat, too, and the baited trap was unsucessful. In that case, no one ever saw that cat around the neighborhood, there are lots of homes and confusing streets and few open areas, and there were no obvious sheltered pathways. To my knowledge, that cat has not been seen again.

Larry

One of my two cats has feral inclinations, and escaped out an open window one night. I and others often saw him sitting on a stoop 2 houses away, but he would run away when any of us walked toward him. I set food out on my front porch, and caught him eating one day when I opened my front door -- and he ran away! He clearly wasn't in the mood to come back inside.

I finally got a larger size Hav-A-Hart animal trap at Home Depot and baited it with sardines, which he could smell a mile away of course. I put it right in what appeared to be his path between whereever he was hiding (behind an empty house next door) and my front porch, and under a bush so's he would feel he could sneak into it without being seen. I had him a couple of hours later.

I think knowing about where he was, plus the rather obvious pathway between the two houses, plus he WAS hungry, added up to a good chance of catching him. I also papered neighborhood telephone poles with pics showing a distinctive blaze on his nose, so that a neighbor wouldn't adopt him by mistake.

However, a friend lost her cat, too, and the baited trap was unsucessful. In that case, no one ever saw that cat around the neighborhood, there are lots of homes and confusing streets and few open areas, and there were no obvious sheltered pathways. To my knowledge, that cat has not been seen again.

Larry

MMMMMM, sardines...ahhhhh

it would be cool if the neighbors tossed bits of turkey, etc. to her to give you enough time to drive over. She's probably hungry. And scared. Probably freeked. Do you have any smelly food like a can of Tuna in oil?

Oh man! tuna in oil rules, olive oil that is. I think you guys could catch me with the right bait.

The rabbit in my avatar was found on the side of the road across town by a friend of ours. I posted found rabbit cards at the local pet stores, got one call, but it turned out to be not theirs. She has adopted us now. Take the story for what it is worth. All we are is dust in the wind, just ask Socrates.

So how come the neighbors that have seen the cat aren't taking her in? Sounds like a reward system might be in order.

I hope you get her back soon - she's my favorite of the bunch cuz she's got that wild rock singer tongue thing happening [;)]

Look, they spot a white blob a hundred yards away once and don't even know about the missing cat yet.

That's the only contact the two neighbors have had. Not like they're shooing her off their back porch.

The one's that saw her last are willing to call to her, put food out, take her in etc if they see her again. THESE YARDS ARE HUGE- and where she was seen was a horse farm in back of their massive back yard. Doc- you know how spread out it is here. The neighbors are nice, understand the predicament, are pet people, and will help. No further enticement is really necessary.

nope, and I'm going out like 3x per day. I don't think she'll come when called- that's pretty un-cat-like. She would barely come in the house when I could see her, and then really dawdled. I think I'm just going to have to wait for her to come on her own. She's in cat la la land right now, playing in this huge field with the horsies. I just hope the foxes don't get her.

M