OT just a cat

colterphoto1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many years ago, I was living in Toronto and inherited my brother's barn cat when he moved to the West Coast, but my gf insisted on getting him neutered. A day or two later, he took off and didn't come back. After a couple of months, we got another cat.

Ten months later, Tigger came back! We weren't even sure it was him, but he was a neutered gray tabby and used his paw to pick up his food, just as Tigger had done. He became a great pet, and still went out every day. We had the second cat for a few years, but Tigger was with me for much longer. I insisted on keeping him when the gf and I broke up, and had his company for seventeen years in all, until old age took him. As you can see, I still think of him.

Hope Macy Grey makes it home safe!

Pat on the Island

My five cats are my furry li'l children...I have more respect for them than I do for most people! Hope your li'l furry child comes back home soon, Michael.

But I really wish more people would spay and neuter their pets and keep them indoors. My cats are all indoor cats, but two were outdoor cats years ago when they belonged to my grandmom. Now that I have them with me, they're strictly indoor cats and aren't the least bit interested in going outdoors anymore, which is fine by me. I thought it might be a bit cruel not to let the two of them out since they grew up outdoors, but my grandmom has 10 acres of land out in the middle of the woods, and I'm off of a busy suberban neighborhood with lots of cars on the street, and I'd never forgive myself if any one of them got hit by a vehicle. Now that my grandmom's cats have new step-brothers and a step-sister to play with, they don't even try to escape out the front door at all and are quite content to sit at the sliding glass door in the back and watch the birds and squirrels outside.

Awesome! Might want to try calling the shelters now. I'm sure they have at least one volunteer there. Maybe. Guess it depends on the place. Maybe call vets too or give them a flyer to post so the animal lovers can see and keep an eye out. Heck, maybe the police department might tack one up. Lot's o' cops driving around. You never know.

Will be sending positive good luck vibes and picturing her safe.

Lost a kitty myself a couple months ago.

She was afraid of nobody or anything.

Brought me 'presents" almost every day.

She used to go toe to toe with my son... A battlecat she was.

She would make him quit. She always won.

She could beat most with her tail once she got it swishing.

I still look for her to come home.

She had "Cattitude".....

I know how you feel, Colter. I hope Macy comes home.

We had a pup disappear back in the mid 80's; the wife put up flyer's and knocked on door's for a long time.

I went to the drive thru bank about a year later; looked over at the car in the next line and there he was looking at me, once I called out his name it was all they could do to keep him from jumping out the window. They did open the door and let him out; he jumped in the car with me and off we went home. I still cant say who was happier the wife or the dog. They were together for years.

Hope your cat come's home soon. Bill

Hey Michael, have been off the forum all weekend, hope to see some good news posted here soon. She'll be back I'm sure.

After we put our dog down last fall we got a cat for our daughter. Personally I can take em or leave em. However, he has decided that I'm the one he should cling to, is half afraid of our daughter, I think she just moves too fast for him still.

Don't think I could leave em anymore.

Thanks for the stories and positive thoughts.

Here's the weirdest thing. A couple of weeks ago this little white kitten shows up on my back porch (which is basically that cats playground). It won't come to me, but it's smart enough to cuddle up to Steely Dan and knows that it's warm and there's food here. So looks like my cats already adopted a new one. (I'd been praying for something that sounds like it has to do with young cats, guess my God has a weird sense of humor yes?)

Wonder if Macy Grey got a jealous thing and decided to leave? That's a bit much to ascribe to a cat, I'd think they'd stay where they had shelter, food, and love.

So going out to put up the flyers right now. Checked Animal Control- they don't have her. Humane Society isn't open on Mondays, but ex gf Mimi, who adopted all the cats on the farm, is going there right now to teach yoga to the employees, so she will check around.

In other strange news, Mimi has another of our farm cats that she is going to have to put to sleep soon- it's got cancer and down to 4 pounds from 9.

I just stumbled onto this thread. I surmise by your comment being 10 minutes ago, Macy Grey hasn't shown up yet.

[:'(]

Our pets are our kids too, we've got the dogs (story of Chloe missing) and we've got a couple cats, so I know your pain.

very sorry to hear Macy Grey is missing.

Michael,

Your thought that cats will usually stay around where they've got food, shelter, etc is right. I think most cats will do that. We did have one that we thought seemed to be upset by changes in the cat population and pecking order. Perhaps it is jealousy. Any I just mention that because ver the years with many cats, we had one exception to the rule and that's what we suspected might be going on. This particular cat would disappear for long periods and come back. We suspected she was using her good looks and personality to get attention and care from an additional family of servants.

Of course, who knows if that could be what's going on with Macy Grey? Statistically not especially likely, but you might have an intuitive insight there with her.