OT: real or fake tree

jacksonbart

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a spot up in the mountains where we usually get our "official" Christmas tree. It's a fun day for us. It wouldn't feel like Christmas without tromping through the snow and hacking down a wild tree, but I also have a collection of five or six aluminum Christmas trees and we usually put one up somewhere in the house with the rotating color wheel spotlight. I think they're very cool. We're getting tons of company and I haven't have time to put up one of the "evergleams" this year - maybe this weekend.

If the wife objects to a fake tree, there's always another solution.

I tried that route, it ended pourly. She was perfect first few dates, she didn't speak much, good cook, but unlike Kim Cattral's character in the movie Manniquin, beneath that sexy out fit was plastic jumbles and it was much worse south of the equator. So in the end I took a hatchet and cut off her feet and placed her in a stand and hung garland, lights and decorations on her.

Flannj...................You play the role of Scrooge, but are really an old softy!!!!!!!! What's up with that comment? I Sir am Soft and Old, but what do you expect for 58 years old??? A Christmas tree on a poster would be perfect for me, but I have a wife, too, and they usually win at Christmas time. Although I overhead talk of a new lighted tree for next year..........................Great, closer to the poster all the time.............

Knowing how fast/hard a tree can light up on fire, I prefer a fake one (actually, I'd be happy with NO tree [:o]) In deference to the wife however, we not only have a real tree but we walked out on the farm (where we live), she picked it out and I cut it down, dragged it back & slung it up.

Now, I can hardly wait to take it down & flick my bick under it

[A]

Have you ever ignited a dry Christmas tree? If you ever saw how quick a dry tree burns, you'd think twice about a real tree...............but everyone has different needs for Christmas.............Do what you gotta' do..................I still like the Poster idea.............Santa Claus Boondoggle....I Like That.......

TS9405_with%20x-piece.jpg

Use one of these, and your tree won't dry out as quickly.

I take my tree to have it mulched, so there's no land-fill issues (free mulch for me, or for the City's parks).

I also don't put my tree up on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, but actually wait until it's almost Christmas. If it's a fresh cut tree, it stays fresh all through Christmas that way (til January 6th). If it's a Tree Lot tree, it still stays fresher going up a few days before Christmas as it hasn't been dried out by the typically low humidity of a house. But I have to check the water more often to make sure it doesn't dry out.

Have you ever ignited a dry Christmas tree? If you ever saw how quick a dry tree burns, you'd think twice about a real tree...............but everyone has different needs for Christmas.............Do what you gotta' do..................I still like the Poster idea.............Santa Claus Boondoggle....I Like That.......

Back in college a few of us freshmen miscreants lit the dorm tree on fire (after Christmas) on the concrete just below the steps of the building. The flames went as high as the three story building.

I'd be real surprised if the trees go into a landfill. They certainly wouldn't do that around here - they get mulched and that mulch is reused and can be picked up for free for landscape use. Though how can they do that cuz I'm sure people leave bits of tinsel, etc. on them (tho' who uses tinsel anymore?).

I've pondered this and I like the fact there are tree farms in Michigan, etc. Not sure the average age they are cut, but it has to be a few years at least and in that time, those trees can be used as habitat for birds, etc. Then new ones are started constantly. I'd rather have these farms then a potential alternative like crappy housing developments, warehouses/factory plants, etc. Just my theory. Correct if wrong.

I have no tree this year. :) I have pretty green rope garland stuff on my mantle with tiny white lights in it. Works for me.

Had real trees for many, many years. Then one day, around Jan 7th, I walked out to the street and saw like 100 trees at the curb. I sat down and rationally analyzed what that was all about, and what I was actually doing, and since that day - no trees shall be chopped in my name for that purpose. I try to stay pretty clear of the Santa Claus boondoggle.

Think McDonald's and KFC, and you might become a vegetarian. Now, those are some real numbers - day, after day, after day!