Female vocals ?

Coytee

Seems to me the most talked about female vocalist discussed here is Diana Krall? There are certainly a couple others but seems to me, she's the one most often referred to.

I don't have a lot of experience with lp's/cd's by female artists. Indeed, back in college, an old girlfriend was rooting through my two "Peaches Crates" FULL of LP's, and looking up said "Do you realize you do not have a SINGLE album by a female singer??"

She was right and I wasn't really aware of it until then.

So, my experience with female singers, seems to be about as deep as radio listening and that leads me to my basic curiosity.

Seems to me there are a number of female singers that can really sing. I'm not saying I LIKE them but I'm wondering why they don't ever seem to get mentioned. Or, perhaps, am I wrong in my understanding of their talent? Perhaps they're too mainstream/commercial??

Barbara Streisand: Isn't she 'The Voice"? (I don't like her btw [+o(]). I've NEVER heard her mentioned here, yet if she's "the Voice", shouldn't she be worth a listen?

Celine Deion: The girl has some pipes. Some of her stuff I like, some I don't. Is she just to commercial? Too "pop"?

Heart: Couple of old Rock & Rollers. I like some of their stuff, can pass on some (Have couple cd's including Alive in Seattle)

ABBA: I always loved their voices & harmony, never heard them mentioned here, same thing...?? too commercial? Too old of recordings, to have any that are "high quality"??

Ironically, I listed those specific in the reverse order in which I really would care to listen to them [:P]

Why is it Diana Krall gets 85% of the mention here? Her looks? (not so bad [:P] ) Is her voice just THAT much better than the others? Is it that she plays piano? How about her style of songs, verses the rock/roll songs? (not that Barbara is rock roll [;)] )

BTW, if your favorite female singer wasn't mentioned, it wasn't out of malace. I DO think DK gets the lions share of comments here and I just don't remember who comes in second/third [:$]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess you missed all the posts that metioned Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn, Carmen McRae, Nina Simone, Helen Merrill, Chris Connor, Anita O'day . . . .

Diana Krall is OK. I have always liked her piano playing better than her singing, but she ALWAYS surrounds herself with absolutley first-rate sidemen . . .

What Allan said. Any of the women he mentions are outstanding. I think Diana Krall gets so much ink because; She's is a goregous blond, she has a very seductive voice, her band is outstanding (Anthony Wilson is an outstanding artist in his own right), her Live in Paris DVD was a huge hit because of the recording quality, the songs are timeless,and...she's a goregous blond.

IMO, a lot has to do with the genre of music people listen to.

There are quite a few Blues/Jazz fans on this forum so they will get mentioned most often..and rightfully so!!!! (Krall, Holliday, Ella, etc)

Some of my favorites that don't fit the above mentioned genre include:

Annie Lennox, Sheila Chandra, Dolores O'Riordin (Cranberries), Emmy Lou Harris, and Enya.

JJ

IMO, a lot has to do with the genre of music people listen to.

There are quite a few Blues/Jazz fans on this forum so they will get mentioned most often..and rightfully so!!!! (Krall, Holliday, Ella, etc)

Some of my favorites that don't fit the above mentioned genre include:

Annie Lennox, Sheila Chandra, Dolores O'Riordin (Cranberries), Emmy Lou Harris, and Enya.

JJ

Do not listen to Diana after listening to Ms Ella F. Diana sounds awful bland.

From my college days, Carly Simon

From my kids college days, Christina Aguilera

Some of Christina Aguilera's vocal dynamic range is truely amazing.

I agree fritz not exactly my kind of every day music but that young girl can really belt it out!! I like many female singers including many mentioned above. Billy Holiday is one of my old time favs. Diana Crawl has a few tunes I think she sings darn well but over all she makes me think man just about any female could duplicate here. Norah has a really unique and sexy voice! I always thought Linda Ronstadt has a very nice voice that was wasted for many years on some of the tunes the record promoters pushed her into to sell pop records. So many more out there.

Craig

Seems to me the most talked about female vocalist discussed here is Diana Krall? There are certainly a couple others but seems to me, she's the one most often referred to.

I don't have a lot of experience with lp's/cd's by female artists. Indeed, back in college, an old girlfriend was rooting through my two "Peaches Crates" FULL of LP's, and looking up said "Do you realize you do not have a SINGLE album by a female singer??"

She was right and I wasn't really aware of it until then.

So, my experience with female singers, seems to be about as deep as radio listening and that leads me to my basic curiosity.

Seems to me there are a number of female singers that can really sing. I'm not saying I LIKE them but I'm wondering why they don't ever seem to get mentioned. Or, perhaps, am I wrong in my understanding of their talent? Perhaps they're too mainstream/commercial??

Barbara Streisand: Isn't she 'The Voice"? (I don't like her btw [+o(]). I've NEVER heard her mentioned here, yet if she's "the Voice", shouldn't she be worth a listen?

Celine Deion: The girl has some pipes. Some of her stuff I like, some I don't. Is she just to commercial? Too "pop"?

Heart: Couple of old Rock & Rollers. I like some of their stuff, can pass on some (Have couple cd's including Alive in Seattle)

ABBA: I always loved their voices & harmony, never heard them mentioned here, same thing...?? too commercial? Too old of recordings, to have any that are "high quality"??

Ironically, I listed those specific in the reverse order in which I really would care to listen to them [:P]

Why is it Diana Krall gets 85% of the mention here? Her looks? (not so bad [:P] ) Is her voice just THAT much better than the others? Is it that she plays piano? How about her style of songs, verses the rock/roll songs? (not that Barbara is rock roll [;)] )

BTW, if your favorite female singer wasn't mentioned, it wasn't out of malace. I DO think DK gets the lions share of comments here and I just don't remember who comes in second/third [:$]

how about rosie o'donnell?

roy delgado

Allan already mentioned Nina Simone,one of my favorites who could also play the hell out of a piano. Some others you might try are:

Shirley Horn

Cassandra Wilson

Rene Marie

Karrin Allyson

Nancy King

Patricia Barber

Jacqui Naylor

Madeleine Peyroux

Jenna Mammina

Margo Timmins (Cowboy Junkies)

Should get you started.

James