When Hobby turns to Business and Xmas Break

NOSValves

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all, this is my first post here at Klipsch....I am the proud owner of the prototype "stereo" amp built by Craig, I have been listening to it for about 8 months now and have loved every moment of it!!! Of course when Craig called and told me he had finally gotten the time to do the final version I jumped all over trading in this amp for his final version!!! I run this amp with Bottlehead Foreplay lll and the Seduction phono pre (a lovely combination.....) the only worry I had was the speakers I was running ( Ohm I's) these babies are my all time favs but they need a very VERY true, quick amp to do them justice.....Up to this point I had always had 200 + SS watts to make the 12 inch woofs come alive! I hooked up Craigs amp ( Valve art KT88, Mullard GZ34, Mullard CV4003 and Brimar CV4004 as the tube compliment) and was instantly floored as to how incredibly fast this amp was BUT, without giving up any warmth at all!!! Music not only came alive but the bass was actually thumping in my chest, absolutely delightful!!!! I can't wait to get my hands on Craigs finished product, he tells me it will be even better then what I hear now, lets just say this is gonna be a difficult thing to accomplish.............lucky me!!!!

Rick

Craig,

So you finally made an amp that has some bass and that can "thump". [;)]

Serious question.......If I A/B'd the new amp and the VRDs (all things =, and with KT-88s in each)......which one has more bass??????

Hint: It's OK to say the new one if it's true. As a satisfied VRD owner I'd be perfectly happy to know the next generation sounds better. [:D]

Craig, how about building an amp for my wife?

Now
your using that pic out of context. I always thought it meant that guys
are easier to turn on, while the gals require more 'fine tuning' and
more adjustments. Or makes them far harder to maintain.

I love those anyway.

Craig,

It
sounds like another winner. You still haven't said how much it weighs,
though. Would I need to get my floors braced underneath?

Craig, how about building an amp for my wife?

Now your using that pic out of context. I always thought it meant that guys are easier to turn on, while the gals require more 'fine tuning' and more adjustments. Or makes them far harder to maintain.

I love those anyway.

Craig,

It sounds like another winner. You still haven't said how much it weighs, though. Would I need to get my floors braced underneath?

Marvel,

I'm not sure..... I've been enjoying listening and testing it. I have not weighed it yet. I would guess about 70lbs. I'm very happy with the results so far. More later!!

Craig

Hello all, this is my first post here at Klipsch....I am the proud owner of the prototype "stereo" amp built by Craig, I have been listening to it for about 8 months now and have loved every moment of it!!! Of course when Craig called and told me he had finally gotten the time to do the final version I jumped all over trading in this amp for his final version!!! I run this amp with Bottlehead Foreplay lll and the Seduction phono pre (a lovely combination.....) the only worry I had was the speakers I was running ( Ohm I's) these babies are my all time favs but they need a very VERY true, quick amp to do them justice.....Up to this point I had always had 200 + SS watts to make the 12 inch woofs come alive! I hooked up Craigs amp ( Valve art KT88, Mullard GZ34, Mullard CV4003 and Brimar CV4004 as the tube compliment) and was instantly floored as to how incredibly fast this amp was BUT, without giving up any warmth at all!!! Music not only came alive but the bass was actually thumping in my chest, absolutely delightful!!!! I can't wait to get my hands on Craigs finished product, he tells me it will be even better then what I hear now, lets just say this is gonna be a difficult thing to accomplish.............lucky me!!!!

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for the post!! Don't be a stranger here the waters are rough but navigable[;)] I sure hope you can make it to the fest this year! We need to toss a few down the hatch together... But if not we will meet at the border for lunch again.

Darkside,

Thanks for your input and positive comments.

Standard wood options are Maple, Cherry and Walnut. Optional is up to the customers imagination I will use anything available for a small milling setup fee and extra material costs. I'm still considering the metal finish options for the flat plate work. I really have not received much feedback on the metal finish which is surprising.

Craig

..."I'm still considering the metal finish options for the flat plate work. I really have not received much feedback on the metal finish which is surprising."

I just assumed you'd stick with the grey powdercoat(?) you use on the VRDs.

Or you could go this route as a custom finish (for a mere grand more, eh?)...

post-11084-13819321170036_thumb.jpg

..."I'm still considering the metal finish options for the flat plate work. I really have not received much feedback on the metal finish which is surprising."

I just assumed you'd stick with the grey powdercoat(?) you use on the VRDs.

Or you could go this route as a custom finish (for a mere grand more, eh?)...

post-11084-13819321170596_thumb.jpg