New Klipschorn vs. Used Vintage

LeeW

Given that 75-78 Khorns have been selling from 2500-3800 on ebay lately and might need tweaked with a new crossover. How would you rate the value ( based on build,finish,sound, resale etc.) as compared to a new pair?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

Lee, the depreciation of a vintage set of Khorns could be viewed as the price of refurbishing, or purchase of a modded set of crossovers, provided you buy wisely. You lose 2k when you take a new set out of the store, based on quick sales after buying new.

A new woofer is under $150. A new diaphram from BEC is about $50. I have never seen a blown mid driver.

It all boils done to a personal preference whether you like new, or like buying a great deal for the money.

Buying used and upgrading will cost less than new...What I'm curious about is how the two compare after the upgrades and what the value of each might be in say 10 years. Maybe it's not a fair question to ask on the forum.

Lee

I think it is a fair question. My guess (we are talking about the future here) is that in ten years the value should be about the same given similar condition. Well built Klipsch speakers last a very long time when not abused. Most other brands have to be re-furbished with new surrounds and even re-coned.

Setting economics aside, if I had the bucks and the corners I'd buy new in a New York Minute.

Why you say? Especially you Thebes, you cut-rate, bargain basement, squeeze a nickel and see if it will buy you a Rolls.

Why Thebes, a bonifide throwback to another era when Hippie Dippys roamed the earth?

It's simple, they will sound better.

Sometimes the past is better, but get real, the nice folks at
Klipsch have gone through the expense, trouble and more importantly,
the brain-power to make substantial improvments in one of the worlds
greatest speakers.

Adjusted for inflation they probably cost the same as they ever have, maybe cheaper.

if
you can swing it, a little pain in the wallet will be returned 10 fold
knowing you now own the best Khorn Klipsch has ever made.

Your ears will be so happy they will bob up and down with the
music not to mention conviently turning down the screeches from your
wife when she finds out what you paid.

Don't forget our ears are our friends. Treat them well and they will reward your care.

I must agree with Thebes on buying new....................At my age I would never have to do anything to them , just LISTEN to them, I would be the only owner, the newer one's have been refined over the years, and are probably a better speaker sonically. It would be a one time purchase that will last a lifetime, if taken care of.....................................

Thebes,

That is the question are the new ones the best speaker that Klipsch has ever made, or is there one particular year that stands above all others?

OB,

They will likely be my last speaker as well...but that's what said when I bought my Cornwalls

Lee

Thebes,

That is the question are the new ones the best speaker that Klipsch has ever made, or is there one particular year that stands above all others?

OB,

They will likely be my last speaker as well...but that's what said when I bought my Cornwalls

Lee

Lee, you are asking a loaded question, even with throwing the cost quotient out of the window. I guess that I would answer that it depends on whether you want the best that you can buy, plug and play-wise or if you are willing to consider modifications, including crossovers, horns or drivers. PWK always considered the Klipschorn to be the ultimate modders' dream, and you can see by various people's signatures in here that many have modded their Klipschorns - with the subjective belief (including mine) that you can get a modded pair to sound in some ways better than the stock versions of same. And, as Cut-Throat indicated, even a modded set of used Khorns will be less $$$ than buying a new pair. If you are open to the idea of modding a pair of used Klipschorns, a tour (or search) of the update and modifications section will tell you what has worked for some people- including some plug 'n play and drop in mods.

But, let's assume for whatever reason (bastardization of the brand, too much effort, work, heresy, etc. ) that modding may not be your path. Even then, I am not sure that it is a slam dunk that the latest Klipschorns sound better to everyone than their predecessors (with freshened caps in the older crossovers to level the playing field). Many in here have expressed the opinion that the new Klipschorns must be the best sounding ever because they utilize the latest technology and research that the company has to offer. Those assumptions do not explain why some AK4 owners (similar to the newest Klipschorns) have opted to replace those networks and/or drivers with other aftermarket networks or even older, more simplistic Klipsch networks. I do not offer an opinion as to whether the latest Klipschorns sound better than all the predecessors, but I do encourage you to audition a new pair for yourself - and let your ears decide if the latest version is the best ever - before putting down a deposit. Maybe the newest are the best to your ears or maybe you prefer an earlier vintage.

Then again, maybe the idea of purchasing a new set of speakers also appeals to you as well as contributing to the vitality of a fine company. I can also respect that, and if those are some of your considerations, then buying new may be of interest.

Carl.

• Moderators

Would you consider buying them if there were not a used market ?

If the answer is yes, you don't have a problem buying them, buy new.

If you look at the prices, the newer the model the more $ they bring used, it's not like 2004 models are being sold used for the same price as older models.

I thought it was a simple question....................New or Used Vintage........When modding a Klipschorn, when does it stop being a Klipsch and becomes a highly modded speaker? Where is the line drawn ? It gets to the point where there is nothing Klipsch about it, other than the Badges on front....................It seems there is no real answer here, or if you give one, it won't be an acceptable answer, is this the case?.........Sorry guys, Vintage doesn't mean better, it just means it's older,................like me, Vintage Oldbuckster................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OB,

You're right there is no real answer here, I was looking for others opinions that have klipschorns.Until this past weekend I had never heard Khorns.

There was a pair of 78 OW on ebay for sale in Houston that I went and listened to. He had them against a flat wall facing straight out(no corners) I thought that my cornwalls sounded better than that setup, I angled them in at a 45 and they started to sound better still with no corners. Did I mention that for a being 29 years old they looked damn good. BTW they sold for $2851.00.

So I have decided that they will be my next and probably final speaker, and as pointed out in another thread the used market (at least the ebay market) is on the rise.

In your case, clearly a new OB would not be better than the vintage one....only younger[;)]

Lee

LeeW.........Why thank you for the chuckle.............I have heard two pairs of Khorns now, and they really do need good corners to produce that Khorn sound.............I was amazed at their sound, and the levels of SPL they can achieve with SET's, and then with high powered SS, an amazing speaker to say the least............I would be PROUD to have a set down in my basement room...........I can't imagine wanting any other speakers.........except maybe Jubilee's..........there, before COYTEE drops in with his "second best" thing of his........Ah yes, DREAMS keep us going, I guess............

If the difference between 7 grand and 3 grand doesn't matter to you very much, then BY ALL MEANS buy a NEW pair. I can't think of many things more exciting that have a pair of BRAND NEW Klispchorns that were built especialy for YOU being deilvered to your home!

Head out to all the local Klipsch dealers and cut the best deal you can on some brand new Klipschorns--you will NOT regret it!!

It's simple, they will sound better.

Better than what? A modded pair? - I think not!

My Altec/KHorn speaker will simply blow away a stock Klipschorn. Once you are not confined to the Klipschorn 'Top Hat' you have room to insert a More superior Mid Range Horn and Driver. The Altec 288-16K driver is a far better driver than what comes with a Khorn.

My Klipschorn Top Hats are in storage for probably forever.

Thebes,

That is the question are the new

ones the best speaker that Klipsch has ever made, or is there one

particular year that stands above all others?

OB,

Lee

Lee,

I would imagine that they are the best Khorn ever made. I didn't

say modded. I have never heard any Khorns that have been modded

except for upgraded crossovers. Should have said "In My Opinion"

because I have never heard the newest Khorns. I apologize for leaving

the wrong impression.

Consider this though. Klipsch has been making them for 60

years. I do not believe that in this instance they would upgrade

a proven design simply as a marketing ploy with their flagship

signature product. I would imgine that like anything in life they

can be improved upon, but I would suggest that stock Khorn vs, stock

Khorn, they are the best Khorn Klipsch has ever produced. Don't

forget they work to certain prices considerations that all

manufacturers must work under. They are not building ovepriced $100,000

speakers for the audio nuts with more dough than brains.

Do the modded ones sound better? Maybe. Some

probably are, some probably aren't but if they please the ears of the

modder who am I to complain.

My own opinon remains, if I had the dough and the corners, they be in my house muy pronto...except...

A person here I highly admire for his technical chops and

passion for sound sold his Khorns to buy, you guessed it, The

Jubilee. He hasn't regretted his purchase and considers

them the best speaker he's ever heard, and he's heard a lot.

That's my view and since I'm a Legend In My Own Mind, I'm sure I'm right.