Dean's at it Again!!!

meagain

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think the LF section looks bad either. I see potential there. Grill the sides, veneer (should be super easy with that nice flat simple panel) or paint the center. But IDK why the horn has to be black. I think it could look higher end for not much, even if one takes it to an auto-body shop for a pro paint job. Maybe even build a surround around that horn so it doesn't look like it was just plopped up there... perhaps continuing the bass bin up a bit.

geesh, a guy thinks about buying a pair of speakers and it gets 27 pages and 6000+ viewings? What's the big deal?

And Dean didn't even start the thread. I don't get it either. Dean has to be one of only a few here with the knowledge to experiment with the thing & I would bet Roy will be interested in Dean's findings. I know I am.

Dean,

"DJK has me freaking looking at 2435's "

Watch ebay. About 20 of them have gone through in the last couple of weeks and they have sold for around $200 each. I was tempted. Keep in mind they are 1.5" drivers so your choice of horns are more limited. From everything I have seen though they don't go down much below about 750hz or so which is what made me decide to stay away. That and the astronomical price of new diaphragms if the used drivers turned out to be duds.

Shawn

I'm buying a speaker I haven't heard... -- but if the room plays so significant a role, then what good would it do to hear it in a room nothing much like my own?

Your comment, Dean, about needing to hear the speakers in your own room is very profound. I reckon not hearing them before hand can be a good thing - you're not going to form an incorrect view as to how they might sound at home...

According to the Bad Cowboy, talking about room characteristics is kind of laughable. He claimed, I think it was in this very thread, that the room doesn't matter much with Jubilees because of their directivity.

I have wanted Jubilees since I first heard them in 2004 and then again in 2006 and I can't imagine a klipsch fan especially one who loves Klipschorns enough to buy them new not being happy with the Jubilee. I think PWK would be thrilled to know that people are buying the Jubilee in this manner since there isn't a home version available. The bickering gets a Yellow Button.

They are beautiful and sound amazing congrats Dean!

"He claimed, I think it was in this very thread, that the room doesn't matter much with Jubilees because of their directivity."

No, he said did anyone consider directivity of a horn and how it interacts with the room.

This was in regards to people saying the big K402 horn was too big for Dean's smaller room.

The reality is a big horn holds it pattern to a lower frequency then a smaller horn... it has more control over what it sends where. In other words it would interact LESS with the room then a smaller horn would.

Shawn

I think I might go with the 402's just to agitate everyone.

Yeah, did some digging on the 2435's last night. Nice driver, but crossed it off the list for the same reasons you mentioned. Most of my time was spent going through the archives on the Lansion Forum. Man, those guys make me feel small.

No, he said did anyone consider directivity of a horn and how it interacts with the room.

No, he actually said this:

i find this talk of small room/med room/large room/men's room kinda of
interesting. it seems that no one is taking into account the
directivity of the system. and i don't mean just jubs; just
directivity in general. a tightly controlled pattern greatly reduces
involving the room. i have heard low directivity systems and high
directivity systems in all kinds of room and those with high/controlled
directivity are not as bothered with size of the room that much. now
if you are talkling low end gain, small room can give excellent
loading thus increasing how low the system will go, so again a small
room can be an advantage. when i was playing with car stereo, in reg
cab s-10 pickup, the bass loading started at around 200 hz, so with
more air, that moves down. i think that dean is not taking a step
backards.....i think he will doing a soft shoe jig!!

Dean,

"I think I might go with the 402's just to agitate everyone."

If you do just make sure they will 'tuck under' your sloping side walls. Not sure what kind of height you would end up with there. Ideally you would have them sharply toed in as well to avoid side wall reflections by trying to aim the outside edge of their coverage down your walls. I did that with the K510s and did roughly the same thing by stuffing cells in the 805s before them. It helps improve imaging focus.

If the K402 would have fit my setup/room I'd have love to have gone with three 402s as well. But since they wouldn't I'm not sweating it, the K510 is a very nice horn too and physically a lot easier to manage.

Shawn

I have wanted Jubilees since I first heard them in 2004 and then again in 2006 and I can't imagine a klipsch fan especially one who loves Klipschorns enough to buy them new not being happy with the Jubilee. I think PWK would be thrilled to know that people are buying the Jubilee in this manner since there isn't a home version available. The bickering gets a Yellow Button.

They are beautiful and sound amazing congrats Dean!

I agree. Dean and any others who buy the Jub bass bins unheard are certainly not taking a big chance or making any kind of a mistake. The bass bins have a Heritage sound somewhere in between the Khorn and Lascala but with more output. If you like the Heritage horn bass, but want more of it, then you would be very satisfied with the Jubs bass bins. I think they would exceed most people's expectations when placed in home use.

When you get into the top sections, that's where the sound diverges from Heritage. Excellent, but different. This is where you might want to try and get a listen before purchasing just to get an idea of what it's all about.

I think I might go with the 402's just to agitate everyone.

Yeah, did some digging on the 2435's last night. Nice driver, but crossed it off the list for the same reasons you mentioned. Most of my time was spent going through the archives on the Lansion Forum. Man, those guys make me feel small.

Okay, here's my prediction. You'll buy an acoustically transparent movie screen that'll drop down from the ceiling and go wall to wall. Cheaper and easier than making the Jubilees look like PWK envisioned them.

I agree. Dean and any others who buy the Jub bass bins unheard are certainly not taking a big chance or making any kind of a mistake. The bass bins have a Heritage sound somewhere in between the Khorn and Lascala but with more output. If you like the Heritage horn bass, but want more of it, then you would be very satisfied with the Jubs bass bins. I think they would exceed most people's expectations when placed in home use.

When you get into the top sections, that's where the sound diverges from Heritage. Excellent, but different. This is where you might want to try and get a listen before purchasing just to get an idea of what it's all about.

This is the most reasonable post I've yet read on the Jubilee's sonics.

I do feel special though. Every time I sell or buy something, my 'friends' want to save me from myself. In the meantime, my system keeps sounding better and better. Keep up the good work guys!

What a crock of sh!t! This is not about improving your system. Your quest is not about music!! Your a gear head that becomes bored and just moves on and on and on. You will never be finished because this hobby is not about music with you its about gear. I can not remember the last time you mentioned some new piece of music you had discovered. In fact I can't remember the last time I seen or heard you actually mention any piece of music good or bad. Nothing wrong with being a gear head but at least come to grips with it. You roll gear because it is your hobby. Yes us folks that consider ourselves your freinds try to slow you down when your about to throw away a few grand for a very questionable improvement. But as usual it does little good.

Craig

Okay, here's my prediction. You'll buy an acoustically transparent movie screen that'll drop down from the ceiling and go wall to wall. Cheaper and easier than making the Jubilees look like PWK envisioned them.

Just wrap a pink feather boa between the bass bin & horn and be done with it.

(wishing learned how to quickly photoshop)