What's wrong with the Forums @ Klipsch?

boomac

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont think it has much to do with a change in people. It seems the personality of the Forum has changed. Two Channel was known as the opinionated, provocative and sometimes even nasty Forum. Hell, there were some members scared to even come here. Two Channel had a reputation and damn if there wasnt something fun about that. Now its like oh gosh isnt it nifty to give Rodney King his wish!

And to think that I once gave people a bad time for arguing! I would not have thought that I would miss the strongly held opinions and the provocative arguments but Scott, you are correct.

Josh

Craig - Have you heard the Jubilee?

I know the answer to that one. He's heard it exactly as much as Dean has, you have, and I have.

and there's robin!

the dynamic duo! out to save man and woman kind from the plug ugly and evil mr jubilee!!

there'll be no constant vertical polars here mister. i just talked to mr k and he says bad cowboy is making it all up! so mr jub get back behind the screen where you belong, you half breed! and while i'm at it, i am going to unplug you so that no one will ever ever hear you. ha ha ha ha!!

have a blessed day,

roy delgado

Scott, did you get my e-mail? I'll copy it into a PM in a minute.

I've gotten bored myself, I think because I see the same questions and comments come up repeatedly, and I'm almost tired of the same ol' answers. Also, I get more reluctant to post as time goes by because I don't like to be repetitive, especially around members I know have read it from me before, and as I've become more appreciative of the depth of knowledge of individuals who should reply instead of me.

That said, I think that interest in reading and posting is partly generated by a back-and-forth of views and information, but I think -- I'm not sure -- there isn't as much "what Bob said" or "I agree with Joe" mutual responsiveness that I used to see.

Good topic, thanks for starting the discussion.

Larry

I agree with Larry.

Scott, did you get my e-mail? I'll copy it into a PM in a minute.

I've gotten bored myself, I think because I see the same questions and comments come up repeatedly, and I'm almost tired of the same ol' answers. Also, I get more reluctant to post as time goes by because I don't like to be repetitive, especially around members I know have read it from me before, and as I've become more appreciative of the depth of knowledge of individuals who should reply instead of me.

That said, I think that interest in reading and posting is partly generated by a back-and-forth of views and information, but I think -- I'm not sure -- there isn't as much "what Bob said" or "I agree with Joe" mutual responsiveness that I used to see.

Good topic, thanks for starting the discussion.

Larry

I agree with Larry.

What fini said.

Keith

If Dean wants to buy the damn Jubilees let the man do it. There, how's that for nasty.

Josh - i'm still waiting on the tech guy.

Hope it isnt too much to fix. I owned one years ago and was sad that I let it go. So when i found the one I sent you at a garage sale I couldnt pass it up!

Josh

This guy has a very clear opinion on the Heritage range. Check this link out: http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Speakers.html

Is he right?

KLIPSCHORN- One of the all-time "classics", this speaker should have been somewhere within this list from the beginning. The reason for the "oversight" was that I wanted to hear it again with a more "modern" perspective. I was able to audition the most recent version (post 1990), which according to a reader, has improved drivers, horn and crossover.

This speaker has state-of-the-art dynamic range, tremendous detail, a very good sense of "immediacy" and a "huge sound". The efficiency is an incredible 104dB at 1 watt. It is at its best with ultra-low powered amplifiers, including 2A3's etc. This also allows it to capture low-level information. Ordinary tube amplifiers may sound noisy because of its efficiency, while virtually all transistor amplifiers will exaggerate the obvious "horn" colorations that already exist.

It must be placed in a corner to get the specified 35 Hz bass, otherwise it will lose at least 10 Hz. Both of the frequency extremes are missing, which to me is a minor problem, but there is one major problem; some easily noticeable frequency aberrations, which will seriously irritate many, if not most, contemporary listeners. This problem has been significantly reduced by the improvements made in the 1980's, but it is still there.

The speaker weighs almost 170 lbs, and the retail price, for a pair, is $ 5,800. (Compare that to the Wilson Grand Slam etc. for value.) There are many updates and modifications that you can make to this speaker. In fact, I would love, just once, to hear the Klipschorn (fully modified) in an all-out system.

This is a component that is the epitome of the "loving it or hating it" concept. If the listener is amazed on their first listen, there is a good chance it could become "the speaker of their dreams". On the other hand, if the listener is immediately put off by its problems, it is highly unlikely that anything can ever be done to change that first impression.

Klipsch's other models, the La Scala and Belle Klipsch, have the exact same drivers, but they also have smaller cabinets that are not designed for corner placement. Their tonal balance problems are even more pronounced, harder to mask, and they are also more difficult to work with during speaker placement.

This speaker, along with its less expensive siblings, is probably still the most satisfying and safest way "to get into" serious horns, though it will never again be "the best" horn loudspeaker. (see above-for possible Class A Horns)

Frankly, because of its inherent problems, the most accurate classification of this speaker is really (Upper) Class C. I've put it here, at least temporarily, because of its unprecedented longevity and its reputation as a "Classic".

CAVEAT- There is occasionally a "honeymoon" type of experience with this speaker. Some listeners go "crazy" about them on their first listen, but then become tired of them after just a few days or a month. That is the reason why more than one "long listening session" is in order with them before the purchase.

While that guy is obviously prone to some audiophile bias BS, I think he makes some very valid points - of course, it's all blasphemy to mention on the forum. Oh well. The value of the khorn is not in its frequency response...that's where the Jubilee comes into play.

Btw, when I get bored with the forum, I just go try to find some more audio research to read up on and try to get better acquainted with the cutting edge that is changing every day.

I am not sure if it is the forum that has its ups and downs or it is us. I have been here for a while (5 years?) and it waxes and wanes for me too. What I have noticed about myself is that I am ever more focused on specific aspects of this hobby of ours and so the posts that are interesting to me are consequently less common.

I may, for example, opine on a pair of speakers, but if there is a thread on crossovers I am unlikely to take much part. In fact, unless it is a thread that is growing like topsy I probably wont even open it.

I would guess this is much the same for others. Dean, for example, is probably far more likely to post in an X-over thread than in a vinyl thread.

As for the lack of fighting - I dont really miss it too much and think Ami takes much of the credit for getting it under control. Some may not think that is a good thing - I, for one, disagree.

Thebes - thanks [:$]

Dean - we really need to get you to sit down in front of a system with a really good, well setup TT - bring your very best CD's for comparison.

It's been a long winter on here too...................Forums have been kinda' slow and tame lately, but the Forum Police are quick to put a lock on a thread before it gets too hot. I am not Knocking anyone, just stating a fact, quick locks. Not much new, and how many times can you go over the same subject? Bottom line, there still are great people on here, and this is the only forum I'm on, the only forum LUCKY enough to get my old arrogant views on things...............So, you guys are the ones who benefit from my wisdom...............NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!! I think PEOPLE make the forum, not equipment, or topics, and there are plenty good folks here......................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... and this is the only forum I'm on, the only forum LUCKY enough to get my old arrogant views on things...............So, you guys are the ones who benefit from my wisdom...............

Ha! My opportunity. Here goes... [bs]

I am truly hurt by that !!!!!!!!!!!..............Gee, you forgot the...NOT, at the end of that sentence........[;)]...[bs][O].....EH !!!!!!

A few "theories".....

First, this is coming around to the "end" of "audio season". Many here do this as a seasonal cycle, coinciding with the weather. Many (especially down south) are beginning to turn heads toward outdoor pursuits, and therefore some are a little less "geeked" doing/considering upgrades or projects. This is also important when considering how much new traffic is showing up here.

Many here have "been there/done that", or quite simply are tired of "banging the keyboard" on certain subjects: Take SET vs. PP: We all are familiar with those discussions, but if you are a newbie to this forum, those questions are just as valid. Yeah, the search function does a lot, but if you are coming to the forum for the first time, I'm sure you would appreciate a "walk through" by an experienced forum member....so maybe a little more of that might keep more new members coming here and continuing to post.

....and of course, things die down because the "discoveries have already been made". We've covered much of these topics, and for many, there simply isn't much to do but enjoy. Some have done all the upgrades they intend to do. In my case, I am still doing the upgrades and tweaks that are "old news": my budget isn't such that I can jump on the latest upgrades on an immediate basis.....so I'm still making sense out of discussions I had three years ago. I've been "playing with" the same main tube amps I started out with almost four years ago (MC-30s)......and only recently did I get my networks where I wanted them. Many here, OTOH, have done the upgrades they intend to do, and are more in an "enjoyment mode", so that creates "lull" in posting patterns. There's less "fresh customers" here doing new systems now, so all of this seems to result in a stagnancy.

But this place is like the weather: give it time, and it will change. The Pilgrimage is coming up, so that should make things interesting, and the place isn't sufficiently infested with Jubilees to believe that all possible upgrades have been done amongst the regulars here[:)] Still lots to do, and in time will serve to keep things interesting. Give it time, and things will change.....