What's wrong with the Forums @ Klipsch?

boomac

[We are leaving for Charleston Thursday afternoon. We will be touring all of the wedding stuff, music, etc. We are staying at the hotel that has the Charleston Grille in it on Friday and Saturday....I would LOVE to buy you guys lunch, or an evening cocktail if chance and circumstance would allow!!!!

We will be registered in either Meri Spencer or Phil Mays name. My cell is 434-548-9158 if so inclined!

Oh, I just read Hilton Head....I'm not sure how far that is from Charleston, but if the wind blows right[D]

Could you bring your Jubs?

We're leaving in an hour or so, heading to the Island. I think Charleston is about 2 hours away? (been 20 years since I've been to Charleston)

I'll be hooking up with Chris on Saturday morning... somewhere in the 10:00 range if all goes as planned.

Driving the Camry, I'll start taking the chainsaw to the Jubes right away... oh...still have them ugly K-402's... well... I've got a plumbing torch with M.A.P. gas in it... maybe I can melt them down a bit & make them fit.

Just in case the wind DOES blow (did I just call you full of hot air? [;)]) my cell phone is 865-386-5888

I think lunch on the Island would be a nice treat for you...don't you?!!!

[ip]

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's wrong with the forum? Too many bloody YouTube posts, Craigslist sightings, Ebay sightings. I think we all have web browsers, don't we?

curious, to go out on a limb here, why do you click on the web link? or if you don't, and the link doesn't exploit the passions of this audio hobby as a way to profit monetarily, why do you care?

What's wrong with the Forums @ Klipsch? Rank these as you see fit:

Too much ignorance, too little care in reading existing posts - how many times have you read a post that starts out, "I have not read all the posts in this thread, but..."?

Straying from the topic either through seemingly random ramblings or highjacking (both intentional and otherwise)

Agressive / defensive posts that simply record a series of attacks and responses without any cognitive engagement

Unfounded advice - how many post's have you read that say, "I would recommend you try X. I have never heard it, but it is highly recommended and supposed to be great!"?

Inane questions and good questions asked by newbies but containing insufficient information to formulate an answer that should be answered by a FAQ - why don't we have one?

Inane questions that may be answered comprehensively by an Internet search

Questions that are poorly formed from ignorance about electronics, mechanics, and acoustics and answers that belie little or no knowledge of math and physics

Generally, I see a change in the forum over the last 5 years (2 channel mostly). I recall when it seemed to me that the level of discussion and the content discussed was at a more high level - like sitting a thoughtful discussion class among peers. Now the whole thing seems more like the structure of the old red schoolhouse - all levels of knowledge from entry level to expert are all sitting in the same schoolhouse trying to discuss and learn. It is more difficult to find the level of thread discussion appropriate to one's level of understanding (both beginner and advanced). The mixture of levels of understanding within the threads is to me the biggest "problem" as it causes the many problems - misunderstanding, accusations, hurt feelings, defensive posts, unfounded assertive posts, posts without contributory content, posts that get locked down.

I think the best thing the moderators could do for this forum is to analyze the types of threads, include input from the members, and forulate additional sections with more specific content domains. A separate forum for SET would be a great start as mention of SET right now in 2 channel is like lighting a match in the gunpowder storage room. I would also like to see a separate forum for the Heritage. Likewise for vinyl.

One more quirky idea - this forum is really fortunate that among the members there is a core group which I would characterize as pillars among the forum - those whom have continuously demonstrated all the fine charactoristics of being engaged, knowledgable, insightfull, polite, and authorative. Would the structure of the forum, or a restructured forum allow that some of these pillars act as sub-moderators for some of the forum sections? Thoughts?

I hope the response to this thread should be a wakeup call for some modification to the forum.

This is my second attempt for this post so to keep it short and sweet: I enjoyed reading your very thoughtful post pauln. I like the idea of some more specific sections. Overall I don't think there is anything inherently "wrong" here, and for the most part find the "feel" of this virtual forum much better for interaction than any other I have been or am involved with. I wish to warn that I have seen other boards/digests become far less interesting, engaging, and even informative when burdened with overly strict parameters, and that would be a shame to see happening here.

Please excuse me if someone has already posted about this matter in this thread, but one problem that actually has diminished a lot is what I would term SET trolling, in which certain people wildly inflate the sonic attributes of this topology to unwary newbies, knowing that others will pop in on the subject in order to protect said innocents from making a horribly expensive mistake.

more moderators.........?

I vote no......[:|]

If you can't control yourself maybe this isn't the place for you.

Interestingly enough, even thermalup removed himself last night before this morning when Amy deleted the thread. I hate to think of how PC and sterile this place would be with a committee of moderators.

..........The one thing I do know is IB has the biggest ears in Ar...........

Well, wise-cracking Kaiser, just what exactly does that mean? (just got back from looking in the mirror) It's not a bald joke. It's not a short joke. WHAT?!?!

I have considered starting a Forum's Ugliest Speaker Contest. Each contestant puts in $20 bucks. Winner takes all and must apply it to the cosmetic improvement of his Frankinspeaker. No dedicated audio rooms or basements allowed. The ugly dogs must be located in the main room. A room that one's wife uses to entertain her friends. A room where she must explain to her piers and answer the question ,...... " what are those hideous things in the corners for"?

Does my butt look too big in this skirt?...... No,no, thats not it, oh yeh......Tim, do you really think my ears are too big?

If your intent is to inflict hurt with derogatory statements as to my person, you might consider joining BEC to polish the monologue.[:'(][:'(]

tc

One more quirky idea - this forum is really fortunate that among the
members there is a core group which I would characterize as pillars
among the forum - those whom have continuously demonstrated all the
fine charactoristics of being engaged, knowledgable, insightfull,
polite, and authorative. Would the structure of the forum, or a
restructured forum allow that some of these pillars act as
sub-moderators for some of the forum sections? Thoughts?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I would like to be the section moderator for beer, tequila and LP reviews.

I am not much of a pillar, more of a rotten tree stump.

There are some serious "pillars" that Amy could select. Agreed.

more moderators.........?

I vote no......[:|]

If you can't control yourself maybe this isn't the place for you.

Interestingly enough, even thermalup removed himself last night before this morning when Amy deleted the thread. I hate to think of how PC and sterile this place would be with a committee of moderators.

Only way it would work is for the moderator position to be irreverent and uncouth. Craig where are you?