hey deano (snipers and the jub envious, STAY AWAY)

bodcaw boy

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I quit smoking for TEN YEARS.... started back up about 2-3 years ago. Now how stupid is that?

I have a carton left. Let me know when you all want to quit... we could have a club thing going. Course if there's alcohol at KlipschFest.... I might have an issue.

• Moderators

I quit smoking for TEN YEARS.... started back up about 2-3 years ago. Now how stupid is that?

I have a carton left. Let me know when you all want to quit... we could have a club thing going. Course if there's alcohol at KlipschFest.... I might have an issue.

" Trying " to quit also. [:$] I quit for a few months, a couple years ago then on new years eve had a couple [D] and that was all it took to start again.

I've been looking down the road and seeing that stuff coming Fritz. I'm 48, and unless I get my act together I won't see Alexia graduate from High School. I'm getting ready to quit smoking and get back into shape -- I have to last at least another 40 years.

Do it, Dean! Don't be like my father and stepfather, who both waited until they had heart attacks before they stopped smoking. As for my brother, who finally stopped when he learned he had lung cancer, he left behind 3 kids, including his 2-year-old son who will never remember him.

Sorry for the grimness. At least my dad is still around, I'm happy to say.

Hiya Roy,

Congrats! It is awesome you have a young grandson like that and get to see him. Children are so wonderful and inspirational to watch grow particularly in those very early years.

Dean has his jubs and is so content you can't draw him into a conversation touting their performance... I will have mine before too long - current projects permitting - and form my own opinion... I expect I will be far more boisterous about them [:|]

Let me know when you all want to quit... we could have a club thing going. Course if there's alcohol at KlipschFest.... I might have an issue.

Great idea. Start a new thread. Lets get some folks who want to do it, setup a date, and then stop. We can rely on each other to provide additional motivation and support.

Right now I am going to go grab a cig and maybe a glass of wine now that you brought alcohol up. [;)]

My son took his first steps on my 44th birthday. He's 9 now, I'm 53. I'm an old doper, a roaring alcoholic, smoked for 25 years, now diabetic. I quit dope in 73, alcohol in 81, smoking in 93. Eating too much and high blood sugar I'm still doing. I'd happily give both nuts to see my son graduate from college, but I doubt it's in the cards. I feel worse about this than all the other stuff I've gone through. If I sit around thinking about it I start crying. Dang.

Tom, a few years ago I went to the doc. Mostly good blood results but my blood sugar levels were through the roof. Doc wanted to put me on meds, I said BS. Went on the Atkins diet - dropped 40 pounds and my bloodwork now is all good. I could still eat plenty on the diet - just confined it to steak. With the weight loss came an increase in exercise and further health benefits. Food for thought.

Have you ever observed a single case where increasing the voltage at the speaker terminals reduced the output of the driver?

Of course not if all things stay the same Mike but like I said in an earlier post current will decrease to some extent if the impedance rises so the SPL output change might not be what one would completely expect under some nonlinear conditions. The question I also have is what about the driver is causing this impedance rise that is affecting the amplifier so will it then always follow that the acoustical output will actually increase to the degree one might expect if the impedance does rise? In other words what all can cause impedance rises and how can those factors actually affect the acoustical output of the driver which is acting nonlinear possibly?

Do you have a copy of Heyser's Klipschorn Review in Audio Magazine?

Heyser Performs a Test that he calls the crescendo test. In this test the ratio of sound pressure level to drive power is measured for selected tones. What one observes is SPL drops in relation to increased drive levels. In this particular case the KHorn does very good but even it does exhibit some compression as drive level is increased and depending on which frequency he used the compression amount varied also. As you know all real world speakers exhibit some nonlinearity and that is one reason I take exception to your statement in an earlier post " So if the voltage output from the amplifier changes, the acoustic output of the driver will always follow suit."

Or how bout decreasing the voltage to increase the output? If not, what e ectro-mechanic-acoustical model exists that supports your theory? What you propose is entirely impossible since it would follow that such a system would produce output when decreasing the voltage to 0V. It would also follow that such a system would require an infinite amount of voltage to turn it off.

Of course decreasing voltage would never lead to an increase SPL and I never insinuated such a idea.

Anyway Mike I've had very little sleep in 3 days now and to tell you the truth I'm just not thinking clear enough to discuss this tonight but I would be glad to discuss this more with you if you like but again I would like to let Roy and Dean get back to the orginal intent of this thread.

mike tn[:)]

Mike, yes, I'm still using the Super-T. A tight articulate bass with a beautifully clear top end. Tripath, Hypex, Gainclone, etc. have been accepted and embraced because they sound really good to some people -- and I'm one of those people. The Super-T taught me a lot about how much power big horns really need, and showed me that in my room, 10 watts gets it done. I know it's hard to believe, because I didn't believe it either until I put it in the system. You're more than welcome to head up here anytime and take the chair. I'll drop the top down 3dB and let her rip.:)

PWK used to demo his mono Khorn with a 10 Watt Brook amplifier. Too bad he lived a few years short of seeing Tripath technology. I own 3 of those and I can't believe the detail. I thinks he would have also been impressed with the 80% amplifier efficiency.

And Roy:

I'm not nearly as envious as I am interested. The more on this subject the better, IMO. I simply can't understand why some people have a problem with this. There are guys/gals with Klipsch speaker models other than Klipschorns, Belles, or La Scalas who are interested in the larger heritage designs, but for whatever reason are not able to obtain them. Yet, those who DO own them do not seem to feel any less inclined to discuss them. Do we have dedicated Klipschorn or La Scala forums? Why should it be any different for the Jubilee?

It's a neat looking speaker. I really love the Klipschorns and Heresies we have, but it's interesting to be able to read and learn about the Jubilee.

Erik

I think you have hit the nail perfectly square on the head, Erik.

Tom Mobley

"I'd happily give both nuts to see my son graduate from college, but I doubt it's in the cards. "

All parents worry about this in one way or another. The baby boomer crowd has been thru some tough times.

We are close in age and certainly share a simular time line.  Everyday I thank god for being here.  If I make it another year,  my youngest will graduate high school.  5 more years, and my youngest will graduate college.  After that, quite frankly, I'm ready for any other missions the lord has in store for me.

"Heyser Performs a Test that he calls the crescendo test. In this test the ratio of sound pressure level to drive power is measured for selected tones. What one observes is SPL drops in relation to increased drive levels."

That sounds like a simple power compression test. Did SPL actually drop with increased drive levels or did the relative SPL increase drop with increased drive level?

In other words going from say 1w to 10w nets you 10dB more output. But going from 10w to 100w only gives say 8dB more output where in a perfect world it would give another 10dB. But the power compression is what made that number lower.

Horns are good about avoiding power compression. They are so efficient little power flows through them to heat them up in the first place and because they are so efficient they have less waste heat.

Shawn