how to get the most of out of cornwalls?

snilsen13

The crossover: I'm on the hunt for a crossover uprade and possibly new tweeters to improve my Cornwalls (DC-BR 8P926&7).

The tweeters: I read how much variance there is in the K-77 tweeter, and I see that Bob (whom fixed one of mine) is selling some tweeter upgrades on ebay along with replacement crossovers. I'm know there are plenty here who have tried these and are happy.

The squaker: While I'm at it I may as well caulk the squawker... no harm, right? Seems silly though.

The bass: I've got them up on half-cut tennis balls too, which improved the bass, significantly.

I'm not up for brackets on the inside... that seems excessive...

The placement: Finally, with different amplification (B6G4 DHT in SET mode (see get*set*go on DIYtube), I think that the Cornies sound fab flat on the walls instead of toes in with the speaker intersecting in front of me and listening to the "phantom sound stage". Of course my sweetspot is smaller now, but the image sounds clearer and I have the satisfaction of the speakers living up to their name. Someday soon, I may have a smaller room for listening and corner positions will be an option. We're off to live near Atlanta mid-July and in 30 years down the line I may actaully own something to be proud of, beyond my stereo. In any case, the stero will probably live with us in the living room, so I'll always fight placement issues.

Bi-amping: I've got a good SS amp to power the woofers with, but don't want to clutter the signal path anymore than I have too. It looks like I would need either a passive or active crossover network upstream of the speakers. Lots of you do it here, what works best if you're using an SET and SS?

What have I missed?

-Steven

Yes, Bob's CT-125 are a good upgrade from the K77 series.

You might look into a removable mastic, like the "tar tape" sold for air conditioning work, as opposed to caulking the squwakers. Vests of viscoelastic ("Swedish memory or Temperpedic" foam) might also be worth a try and are fully reversible if you wish to try something else..

Some advocate rotating the woofers to prevent voice coil sag. This has never been a problem in my experience, but some think it helps.

Various crossover upgrades are available, and there have been many discussions of these that can be retrieved from the search function. Bob Crites is very helpful with advice and parts.

My front CW IIs are pulled out from the corners about 14 inches and toed in about 30 degrees. My back Corns are in the corners due to flanking furniture and are toed in about 45 degrees.I find the Corns a little boomy if directly in the corner so my set-up is a compromise driven by placement of other furniture.

One of the things I've done is to take a regular dress sock, roll it up tight, and rubber band it. Place it in the mid and move it side to side, if you like it, leave it there. I did caulk the mid but not the squaker. DeanGs will be here in aweek or so.

I have heard of this for testing tweeter purposes but what is this supposed to do permanantly?

The best upgrade I have done to my 1975 cornwalls are the crossovers I purchased from BEC. I also purchased a pair of his ct125 tweeters, but in the end decided not to install them. I guess I'm just a purist at heart. I sold them to a forum member. When I installed the new crossovers, I also upgraded the internal wiring(silver) and wrapped the mid/high horns with rope caulk. Taken together, these upgrades really brought out the 'presence' of the corns.

Dave

• Moderators

One of the things I've done is to take a regular dress sock, roll it up tight, and rubber band it. Place it in the mid and move it side to side, if you like it, leave it there. I did caulk the mid but not the squaker. DeanGs will be here in aweek or so.

[:|]...................... And if you do like the sound with the sock, you probably bought the wrong speakers ?

I replaced my crossovers with ALKs. That cost more than I paid for the speakers themselves.....but using slightly less expensive components you could get there somewhat cheaper. My opinion is that I would spend that same money again today. I had originally recapped the crossovers, but adding the new design brought the cornwalls to a new level. Side by side with stock corns.....they absolutely blow them away. Did that test.

I also had BEC replace the tweeter diaphrams. That made a big difference as well. I eventually replaced the tweeters themselves with NOS T-35s which are basically factory Klipsch.

They sound really awesome for 34 year old cornwalls. I love to listen to them.

The best upgrade I have done to my 1975 cornwalls are the crossovers I purchased from BEC. I also purchased a pair of his ct125 tweeters, but in the end decided not to install them. I guess I'm just a purist at heart. I sold them to a forum member. When I installed the new crossovers, I also upgraded the internal wiring(silver) and wrapped the mid/high horns with rope caulk. Taken together, these upgrades really brought out the 'presence' of the corns.

Dave

................... I guess I'm just a purist at heart..............

Yep. Me too. Never even had the backs off.[;)][:P]

Terry

icon-quote.gif
dp1954:

Dave

Dave, not tryin' to bust your chops here but are BEC's crossovers built to original spec but just with better parts? Does upgrading your internal wiring and rope caulking mean they are not factory original or purist anymore? I understand one for one trade offs even with better parts (this should be an improvement itself) but I would think any change from the original configuration (no rope caulk from factory) removes it from being purist I would think[^o)] I'm sure my thoughts on this hit home with many who have done changes or upgrades to their Heritage speakers[:^)]

................... I guess I'm just a purist at heart..............

Yep. Me too. Never even had the backs off.WinkStick out tongueI'll back off you Corny Boy[;)]

Most like the sound of Bob's replacement tweeter, a handful don't. Considering the price for a pair, they are worth trying to see if you like them or not.

On the network front, and generally speaking -- the louder you play the more network you need. The old networks will pinch up and sound pretty harsh if you dump a lot of power into them. Just my opinion.

Dave

Thanks to Dave,I have the Bec CT125's. Which I like,but then I also have Dean built networks,Altec 511B horns and Altec drivers.My Cornwall's suit me just fine,Love them in fact. But can I still call them Cornwalls? Have fun!

Larry

Dave

Thanks to Dave,I have the Bec CT125's. Which I like,but then I also have Dean built networks,Altec 511B horns and Altec drivers.My Cornwall's suit me just fine,Love them in fact. But can I still call them Cornwalls? Have fun!

Larry

Well, I call mine Alcorns. Got a photo? Bet mine are uglier than yours. Na Na Na[:D]

tc