The Last Waltz (The Band)

Coytee

Seems the group The Band did a concert in 1976 and taped it. Then in 1978 they put it together with a documentary on them while showing the concert in between talking points.

I was not aware that I knew as much of their music until Old Bucksterette sent me a couple cd's of their music (thanks again pal! [Y])

Its on VH1 classic (Directv channel 337) right now until 10:00

Ringo Starr, Mudy Waters, Neil Diamond, Van Morrison, Eric Clapton amongst others, are mentioned. I don't know if they're guest singers or what as I've never seen this.

Anyone know if this is available as a music dvd??

Yep,it's available on dvd,dolby digital etc..one of the first ones I bought.It's a great show for sure.I'm not a huge fan of The Band although I do like em' but this show is well worth owning.It's also a pretty good recording on the audio and video,not so common for the era in video..

It is available both on CD and DVD.

I recommend the DVD! It was directed by Martin Scorsese. It is considered by many to be the pre-eminent rock video.

Get it. It doesn't matter if you like The Band or not. That is like saying you are not sure if Woodstock was significant because you were not into Sly and the Family Stone.

Edit; FWIW, Here is a track listing...but be aware, the video is of an event, not just a bunch of song videos, and what goes on 'in the spaces' is perhaps as significant as the performances.

Don't Do It - The Band

Theme from the Last Waltz -
The Band

Up on Cripple Creek - The Band

The Shape I'm In - The Band

Who Do You Love - Ronnie
Hawkins/The Band (
Ronnie Hawkins gave The Band their start )

It Makes No Difference - The
Band

Such a Night- Dr John (Mac
Rebennec)/The Band

Helpless - Neil Young/The Band

Stagefright - The Band

The Weight - The Band/The
Staples

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
- The Band

Dry Your Eyes - Neil
Diamond/The Band (
Robbie Robertson produced Neil Diamond's Beautiful
Noise
from which Dry Your Eyes
arose
)

Coyote - Joni Mitchell/The
Band

Mystery Train - Paul
Butterfield/The Band

Mannish Boy - Muddy Waters/The
Band

Further on up the Road - Eric
Clapton/The Band

Sip the Wine - Rick Danko

Evangeline - The Band
w/Emmylou Harris

Genetic Method - Garth Hudson

Ophelia - The Band

Caravan - Van Morrison/The
Band

Forever Young - Bob Dylan/The
Band

Baby Let Me Follow You Down -
Bob Dylan/The Band

I Shall Be Released -
Everybody w/Ringo Starr & Ron Wood

Theme from Last Waltz - The
Band

I have it on DVD and love it!! I remember going to the movie theater to watch it when I was a kid. Now my son's classmate just did a report on it, well actually about Eric Clapton, but nonetheless, it is trickling down to another generation. Scorsese was so young in that. I am going to put it on when we get home from Boy Scouts tonight.

Excellent show! I first had it on a video disk (remember those, with the needle? just like a turntable with pictures!) Was transferred to VHS, and then I got the DVD when it came out. It is indeed a keeper. Lot of those folks are gone now, like Rick Danko and Richard Manuel from The Band, not to mention Muddy Waters, Paul Butterfield, etc. Great piece of music history!

Steve

It was recorded on Thanksgiving. I had a ticket to the show and was planning on going after my shift ended at the restaurant where I was working at the time. My shift went a little late, I had couple of beers and decided not to go! Still haunts me! Unlike the others here I am and was a huge fan of the Band.

Josh

Sad story Josh,

I want to also share a little tidbit of info about that movie, showing the power of Scorsese even in his younger days. The guys he got to operate cameras at the concert are/were some of the leading cinematographers of our time. It truly parallels the list of people that were on the stage! They may not have gotten to show all their chops (they were only shooting a concert, and the lighting is only as good as the technology was in that era), but many went on the shoot and light some of the most famous movies of the '70s, '80s and '90s. Living and working in SF (well after the doc. was made unfortunately) I know a few of the guys who worked on the film and have even had the pleasure of working with and meeting a few of these legends.

Another GREAT concert film also directed by a movie director (Jonathon Demme) is "Stop Making Sense" by the Talking Heads. Whether you like their music or not, the staging and buildup of the concert is truly wonderful, not your typical concert setup.

Darrell

If you rent or buy it, make sure it is the Dolby Digital version. A

Dolby Surround version was the first one released, and I think only

recently it was remastered in DD5.1. It is an exceptional-sounding

concert DVD, given that the concert was taped 30 years ago!

I remember the film very well.

Van Morrison & Eric Clapton were real stand outs. There was a legend that much editing had to be done at the last minute when they discovered that Neil Young had a white substance around his nostrils.

I wish you had not reminded me that it was 30 years ago. I am now feeling very old.

-Tom

Make sure, if you have Home Theatre, to get it in 5.1...................Funny, I've been talking up the Band on here, and no one seemed interested. The Last Waltz is a must own DVD, Rock History, second to none.........Great Songs, Great Musicians, and what a group of Stars that join them on stage. I love when Neil Young comes out, they tune up abit, Neil turns to Robbie and says, "I think we got it now Robbie", great stuff....One of the BEST DVD's ever...........R.I.P. Rick..Richard..................

My Neil Young collection wouldn't be
complete without this live performance of "Helpless" with Joni
Mitchell.

She was a real sweety back
then. Not a looker in the face but what passionate vocals and amazing
song writing capabilities. During last CSNY tour Nash made a comment
about her needing to come out of seclusion and improve her quality of
life through making beautiful music agaqin.

In my musician
interview reading it is quite common for musicians to reference "Music
from Big Pink" as an epiphany LP, when The Band changed
R&R to more openly integrate American Regional Roots into
R&R.

I thought 'the band' was just a bunch of old geezers without their front man

jk[;)]

Duke should chime in here, BUT OMIT halloween night on Dickson St. in the late 70's. Levon Helms (drummer/singer/actor) and Ronnie Hawkins are Arkansas boys you see. There is a Woodstock, NY connection, even today. Duke could expound on this, just hope he doesn't say too much as I am still married and she looks here from time to time.[:D]

If anyone is interested in the history of Bob D. and "the band", google Cate Brothers (still live here) and Jim Weider. Follow the links, they all connect to Dylan. How BD, the guys from the north and a few Arkies got together is a mystery to me. To hear the above players live is to listen to HEAVY electric guitar R&B. Hard to think of any of them playing back to "blowing in the wind".[;)]

Duke?

tc

I had to chime in on this thread. The Last Waltz version of "The Weight" with the Staples Singers has got to be the absolute best version I've heard (Aretha/Duane Allman version included). I had an opportunity to see Mavis Staples in concert a few months back and she included this song and acknowledged the members of The Band and how honored she was to contribute to this show. This song alone is worth the price of admission. I recommend buying the DVD before any of the CD sets, as it can be had for around 10 bucks.