PWK August 1985 in Hope by ClaudeJ1

ClaudeJ1

I made this portrait on the porch of the Pioneer Kitchen almost 22 years ago, where PWK and his wife Valerie took Suzy and I to dinner (the lady opened the restaurant just for the 4 of us). Please note the converging lines from the corner of the porch emnating towards him............a happy coincidence for sure. I shall never forget that day.

Claude

post-22904-1381933500778_thumb.jpg

My wife took this shot of PWK and I almost 22 years ago. I spent the entire day from 9-5 with him. He played me some of his own recordings in his home. The best 3-channel I ever heard!! This was taken in front of the museum, which was his original development room (25 x 16 x10). He had all kinds of horns, prototype speakers, etc. inside. A real treasure trove of history.

Claude

post-22904-1381933500839_thumb.jpg

I made this portrait on the porch of the Pioneer Kitchen almost 22 years ago, where PWK and his wife Valerie took Suzy and I to dinner (the lady opened the restaurant just for the 4 of us). Please note the converging lines from the corner of the porch emnating towards him............a happy coincidence for sure. I shall never forget that day.

Claude

Claude,

I had the opportunity to meet and spend some time with him in '71. ( my 21st Bday, and was just an audio hungry kid) Funny that I wanted to talk audio, and he wanted to talk about the camera I had.[:)] I brought some things for him to sign, and he did sign, ... as PWK, and J. Figby Blotz. He presented me with a yellow button.

As PWK would flash the front of the button; I sported it in Hope last year, but only to show the back side...... covered with 35 years of rust. Any buyers?[;)]

Just kidding. No one can afford it. It is priceless to me.

POINT: I have many PWK pix, but that one is the best IMHO. That photo really touches me for some reason. Looks like him the way I saw him.

tc

Great pictures. The one of PWK is real nice. Have you sent a copy of that one to his son? Thank you.

Paul never had any children. I met his stepson briefly (Valerie's son), but if you read his biography, he sure did a lot for kids. The man who bought the company, Fred Klipsch, is his cousin. I did send PWK these photos the same year, so I assume his wife still has them.

Thanks for sharing! Nice to see Mr. K in a relaxed mood. Hmm, he was only wearing one watch.

I heard he had the other(s) strapped to his ankle to see how shock resistant they were

COOL pictures Claude!!

That's funny! I did enjoy the vaccum pressure he installed by drilling a hole on top of the instrument panel of his Mercedes. He was a good friver at 81, but was really upset that he re-took his physical, and passed, for his Pilot license renewal, but they woudn't, as he put it "take away the flunk."

Brilliant portrait there in that first post! The leading lines and low camera perspective add a lot of power and drama to the image. It is clear that the subject was familiar with the photographer and very much at ease. I love that he still has all his tools in his pockets and the car keys in his hand. Very personable photo. Thanks for sharing!

Michael