CD players with their own volume control?

wuzzzer

Does anyone know of any CD players with their own volume control? I know an older cheap Denon player that I had featured it but I didn't like the sound at all.

Reason why I'm asking is I'm bypassing the H/K as a pre-amp and running a signal straight into the Sonic Impact T-amp, finding a much cleaner sound as a result. I'm currently using my oppo DVD player as CD player. I'm probably looking to spend no more than $200 and will be using the analog output of whichever CD player I buy.

I will be looking for the same thing in my next CDP as I like the way my MC30s sound without a preamp. I'm using the gain controls on the amps but a cdp with gain would be great. This shouldn't be that hard to find. It would be cool to have a list of CDP's that fit this bill. For $200 I would keep an eye on audiogon.com.

I found a couple CDPs with volume control. Not sure of price or quality.

DENON DCD500AE CD PLAYER (not sure if volume control is for more than headphone jack)

SONY CDPXE370 CD PLAYER

Sony CDP-XA1ES

Arcam Solo

QUAD CDP

My old school DBX DX5 does as did the Yamaha CDX-1110U that I had. I still maintain my CD separate from my DVD player because I have yet to find one that does both jobs perfectly.

CD's played on a DVD player tend to sound harsh and edgy, the DBX DX5 also offers compression and expansion ability which is necessary with today's oversaturated recordings. It also helps the older 80's CD's that are recorded at lower levels.

Here is one for sale on eBay, you should be able to pick it up for $100 or less. This was a $700 CD player new and even though it is circa 1987 it will play CD-R's with no issues at all. I have a Denon 2900 and still use the DX5 for my CD playback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DBX-DX5-CD-PLAYER-NICE_W0QQitemZ120150422293QQihZ002QQcategoryZ3272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

No remote with this one though.

The Sony CDP-XA1ES is what I use..............forget what I paid new, around $200. maybe a little more....Single play, my only comment, and I'm not sure if I'm right..........Isn't the Volume control for HeadPhones ? What other effect would it have ?.............

Reading the specs on some CDPs are misleading as some say volume control but don't specify if it is for headphone jack or not. It is a little annoying.

For 200, you are probably going to have to go to the Gon.

CD MFG's that I have had that had variable Analogue Output.

Pioneer

Yamaha

Phillips

Sony

I also believe some of the Pioneer LD players had volume control. Any CD player that has Karaoke should also have volume control.

It is not going to give you the volume range that a pre-amp does, but will probably do the job for a smaller listening room.

KAK

Hi Guys,

I have a Heart Tubed CD player I am going to list on Audiogon this week. I bought it in 2002 and has a volume control. I always left the volume control on max and used the pre-amp for voulme control (it was recommended). It's been gathering dust for about a year. Original box, manual and remote. I also put new tubes in it. Asking $350.00 or best offer. Shoot me an e-mail if interested. Thanks Frt8dog

Hi Guys,

I have a Heart Tubed CD player I am going to list on Audiogon this week. I bought it in 2002 and has a volume control. I always left the volume control on max and used the pre-amp for voulme control (it was recommended). It's been gathering dust for about a year. Original box, manual and remote. I also put new tubes in it. Asking $350.00 or best offer. Shoot me an e-mail if interested. Thanks Frt8dog

I sent you a PM.