DVD AUDIO ANYONE?

Professor Thump

Hey fellow Klipsch Cornerloaders,

I am interested in hearing your latest thoughts on multichannel audio. Do you have DVDA's. If so what DVD Audio Disc do you have and why do you like it? Is it a live or studio recording?

Are the speaker requirements different for Multichannel Music VS Movies? WHY?

Stick it in your ear!

Klispsch Headphones that is...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best: Grateful Dead -American Beauty remixed by Mickey Hart

Not only is the mix a revelation uncovering what are seemingly new instruments over the original mix, but Hart has definatively defined the point of view that serves as a reference for the mix - in other words, he provides a reasoned perspective from which the mix engineer attempts to position the staging and the subsequent acoustical positioning of each component part...in this case from the position on stage of the drummer, a role he filled for most of the band's history.

Not only does this make the mox spectacular, but he provides a coherent approach to the methodology relating to the surround cponcept that is dramatically absent in the majority of the surround sources available. This is to my knowledge the best example of the potential for surround sound in any of the commercially accepted formats.

Worst...Now this is a bit harder, not because it is hard to find one, but precisely because there are so many! Just because you now have additional channels in which to place the various voices does not mean that it makes sense to simply randomly assign them in an attempt to be trendy and clever. If only so many engineers would discover this... But my vote goes to The Doors- LA Woman. I almost defy anyone to get all of the channels to reproduce at the same time. An otherwise spectacular album reduced to a karaoke disk.

If I'm watching any kind of music in surround sound, it's usually going to be in the form of a live concert dvd. Pink Floyd's "Pulse" and Roxy Music's "Live at the Apollo" are both extremely well produced. I heard both at Colter's place where he is surrounded by his cornwalls supplemented by the Ultra2 subwoofage. The thing I like the most is feeling like you're in the middle of the crowd (and of course all the insane dynamics and clarity offered by horns).

Were you specifically asking about just DVD-A?

• Moderators

I only have a couple DVD-A " Riding with the King " Eric Clapton and BB King, very good recording.

Also "Rumours" Fleetwood Mac

I also like the SACD "October Road" James Taylor

I need to get some more , bud concert DVDs kind of ruined me being able to watch the show also. But the DVD-A and SACD sound much much better.

I prefer DVD Audio over SACD or concert video - when the mixes are done nicely.

Favorites: Fleetwood Mac - Rumours, Steeley Dan - Two Against Nature.

Worst: I actually agree with MAS (gasp) and vote for The Doors - LA Woman. I will demo the title track for those who are not used to well-mixed audio just to show what the medium can do, but that does not mean that I think the mixes are "good." Instead, Jim Morrison's voice floats around different speakers arbitrarily. Wish someone would remix another version of the album for DVD-Audio because its a shame, given the music.

As for rear speakers, I disagree with some of my Klipsch brethren and wholeheartedly prefer floorstanders in the rear/sides to the infamous sprayers (even THX-rated ones). In my experience, there are a fair number of DVD-Audio and SACD mixes that require substantial participation from the surrounds beyond "helicopter effects" or crowd noise. I tried various sprayers, including RS-7s, and large bookshelves, including RB75s, and I ended up going back to floorstanders. Of course, just my opinion and your mileage may vary, etc., etc.

Carl.

Fleetwood Mac

Eagles (Hotel California)

Neil Young (Harvest)

Queensryche (Empire)

R.E.M. (Automatic for the people & Best of)

Natalie Merchant (Tigerlily)

Mike Oldfield (Tubular Bells 2003)

Seal (Best 1991-2004)

All of these sound GREAT here!

Take care

Mike

I am a fan of High Rez audio and disapointed they didn't market it to the mainstream. I like watching Concert DVDs, but when compared to the studio albums remixed in 5.1, I prefer the latter most of the time. I also have several concert DVD-As but they aren't markedly better than their DVD counterparts and they don't have the video.

All of the Talking Heads dual-disks are good. Speaking in Tongues has a great remix of "Burning down the House" which is my number one demo song. On the Best of REM DVD-A the song "Ebow the letter" has some tremendous bass. I also like the Beatles Love remake in multichannel. Also, if you are a T-Rex fan, Electric Warrior on DVD-A is a must-have. [Y]

The last one I picked up was Steely Dan's Gaucho. I never was a big fan but really like how they converted that material into 5.1. It's cool hearing the horns coming from my rear RB-75s. :-)

Fwiw, using my Denon-link I can send that PCM info to my AVR 4806 (one wire) and it processes the rear channels into a 7.1 configuration that is awesome!

Insofar as speaker and placement requirements...My Denon allows me to have 2 sets of side surrounds and I played around with RS-7s, RB-75s, and RF-3s (raised to ear level to match my RF-7's). I preferred the RF-3s to the RB-75s (I really wanted to like the RB-75 better) and thought I would keep the RS-7's for movies. What I found was given that I sit parallel to my side surrounds, I liked having the tweeters and duel woofers pointing towards me for both music and movies and I seldom (read never) use my RS-7s anymore.

I'm going to have to listen to L.A. Woman in multichannel mode now. In 2-channel it sounds terrific!

OMG...what did they do to Jim? The best thing about it in multi-channel, it was like listening to the album for the first time. Definitely cutting edge, but without Jim's vocals front an center...it was a mess.

I've been listening to DVD-Audio & SACD's for about 4 or 5 years now.

I agree with the above opinions, but I enjoy the difference in the sound quality. The sound is much better then what I hear

from CD's and DVD-Vidios. It is more analog sounding, cleaner, and more open sounding. There seems to be more space

between the instruments. I hope that the new formets like Blu-ray & HD DVD's with HDMI audio will sound as good.

My collection is limited, because there arn't many Blues and old Rock discs out there. That's all I listen to.

I suggest full range speakers for every channel.

I have a sh!tload of DVD-As (and SACDs). Too many to list.

As far as the speaker requirements for multichannel music versus movies, the closer all five of your speakers are to being identical the better for multichannel music. Diffusing, surround-specific speakers for the rears are a no-no as the soundtracks were mixed to be played back with direct radiating monopoles.

I accidently picked up a DVD-A copy of Morph The Cat by Donald Fagen. It sounds great. If I can use the term 'airy' that's how I'd descibe it over the regular version.

Wait. I'm confused. Are you saying that you have a DVD-A capable player yet the only DVD-A you've ever purchased was one that you picked up accidentally? [:^)]

And Morph the Cat is an excellent sounding DVD-A, BTW, OP. As are Steely Dan "Two Against Nature' and "Everything Must Go". So are the other 2 Donald Fagan DVD-As, the Nightfly and Kamakiriad, although they are only 48kHz; still sound superb. And Gaucho isn't bad at all, either.

I have somewhere around 75 DVD A disc's. DVD A surround when produced correct is very stunning and really places the listener in an entirely different realm of musical experiences. However, on the other hand I have several very poorly made disc's. This is not the fault of the format but the record companies that what to push older quad recordings down our throat that were great on 8 track but not in a Hi Res format. Granted some of the older recordings were done utilizing amazing recording techniques and were just waiting for the arrival of Hi Res multi channel playback.

Unfortunately for the most part people are more concerned with how many mp3's they can stuff in there iPod where sound quality makes no difference. Go ahead and play that mp3 back on your real nice Klipsch or other good system and tell me how good it sounds...I think not. This has caused the down fall of a medium that was very exciting and promising for the people that truly love listening to great recordings. The record industry and video for that matter are more concerned with the system they developed own (DVD A vs SACD & HD DVD vs BR) over putting there collective heads together and satisfying the consumer instead of confusing them.

Ok enough of that rant and back to the question at hand.

Pink Floyds DSOTM DVD A is outstanding and so is the SACD but I prefer the DVD A version.

ALL of the Porcupine Tree DVD A are in a class by themselves just outstanding reciordings.

Both of the Queen releases are great. Someone mentioned Love, very exciting recording.

ELP Brain Salad Surgery is excellent and if you have never heard of Toy Matinee go buy the DVD A it is excellent.

Too many to go through but I love Hi Res DVD A

scooter

I had to play it in my DVD player, (as opposed to my CD player), through my TV and then my receiver.

What I need is a new receiver with HDMI throughput. I'm looking now for a new receiver, but all the bells and mirrors (if I may mix my metaphors) are really not needed.

jerol

I like DVD Audio a lot, but have mostly just had a problem with the fact that it tends to need a monitor to navigate through the menus.

I love my SACD's though!!!! I just wish that they were pumping them out. It's so sad that SACD and DVD-A didn't really make it, but what can you expect when most of the world listens to music through either a $100 boombox, some $40 computer speakers, or iPod headphones.

Definitely stay as close to having all tower speakers as you can. I have 6 Klipsch towers and then a RC-7 center channel.