Brand new Klipschorns are here

rmlowz

Hello forum friends,

My new black ash Khorns got here yesterday two weeks early what a surprise!. I connected them to my Rogue Audio Tempest II. I really don't know how to describe the sound but simply amazing!! They sound IMHO a lot better than my 1975 pair. The bass is tighter a more refined cleaner sound? Maybe I am being to picky but the build quality is not very good IMHO. The front and tops of the speaker look fine a higher gloss black than my new LaScalas. On some of the edges the paint is missing. A black magic marker took care of that. On the back inside their is a lot of the pieces of wood that did not get painted completely. Much to my surprise the midrange horn is plastic and is painted flat black with a brush you can see paint brush marks in different directions. I just think that for a MSRP of $7,500.00 per pair the quality details of the speaker should be better. I guess what counts is the sound they sound wonderful just my 2 cents.

rmlowz

Congratulations on your new K-Horns!

Yes you are right, it is the sound that counts although it is always disappointing when the cosmetics are below par. Are these areas on the cabinet that are visible or do you have to flip the unit around to see it? You might try contacting Klipsch, they can probably not do anything about it at this point, but the feedback might have an impact on their processes in the future.

I am curious to hear more about the differences between these and your other K-Horns. BTW, were these a special order, old stock, or an anniversary edition (for instance, do they have a "built in corner").

Congratulations again,

-Tom

wooo hoo so you have the ak-4 or ak-5 networks..very cool.. (I updated mine to ak 4's, added backs like the 60th anniversary ones too.. to my 1989 k horns)

I am surprised paint is missing>??> WHY? Did you order them flat black from the factory? Can we see pics?

If these are the black ones, your right, a black marker will help them out. Glad it works..

FYI... The insides were never painted... the midrange horns are plastic so they do not ring...(better). I think the paintbrush look, is actually that... a look... in the mold itself.

I do not think it is painted.

And besides, like you said, no one else will see this anyhow!

Enjoy... You have the right perspective... they do sound wonderful!

Hello,

I believe it has the AK5 crossovers part of the serial starts like this KHAK5BK. I have no idea why paint was missing? I think a little to fast down the assembly line I am over it. I was a little disappointed at first. My only point was that this is a $7,500.00 per pair of speakers which in my opinion is not little money. The speakers are, I will use the term regular Khorns in black ash and they were special order.

Thanks forum friends,

rmlowz

I'm surprised, too -- we saw the assembly process at the Hope Pilgrimage last year, and it looked pretty meticulous and professional. So was putting together Dtels' Cornwalls, from those pics. By all means, let someone at Klipsch know.

The better, more integrated bass is no surprise to me, an outcome from switching to AK-4's like Indy did. I also found the blend between the three horns to be better.

Larry

• Moderators

Congratulations on the new Khorns! It's so cool that you bought a brand new pair.

I would also encourage you to let someone at Klipsch know what issues you have with the speakers. The folks in Hope have always strived for excellent craftsmanship. The assembly line is meticulously ran and no one is allowed to work on any phase of the building process until they are certified for that particular part of the build. There is even a board indicating which employees are certified on what part of the build process. It's pretty impressive to see the self respect each of the employees have for their respective jobs. They would surely want to know if something didn't go right on the assembly line.

I think anyone who attended the Pilgrimage in 2006 and toured the plant while it was in operation would agree with us. You must let Klipsch know, even if you have accepted the "flaws".

Like I said the folks in the plant in Hope pride themselves on true American craftsmanship.

Maybe Amy will see this thread, or you can email her and ask her who you should correspond with about your new Khorns.

Not sure what the difference is between the two.

My 2004 La Scalas had one tweeter out when I got them. Klipsch sent a new twetter and crossover.

So while it was frustrating getting a brand new pair of La Scalas and have a tweeter out they sent out the replacement tweeter and crossover in a week.

I don't own KHorns but there is alot of differance in the fit and finish of my Belles . The 76's are about perfect , the 78 ehh a bit blocky on the veneer , the 85's are really blocky on the veneer .

Sound is the most important quality but the fit and finish is declining instead of getting better .

Man that sucks! Pay $7500.00 and they come in like that. I would be pissed. I have been to a lot of Elec. stores in and around Houston and asked why don't you guys have the Klipsch line and they all said the same thing the quality sucks. I guess that is true? It is like anything get cheeper on quality and workman ship so they can make more money? I bet if Paul was around he would be pissed too?

My 2004's were decidedly worse finished than my 76 Khorns.  The bolts that hold the tops to the bottoms are literally bent to fit their holes on the bass bin.  One top sits a hair askew on its bass bin.  But I don't use the tops anymore so it doesn't matter.

This sounds like it's getting worse still.   Where's the QC inspection and how loose is that criteria?