House of Klipsch 2 ch room

colterphoto1

From my visit to Groomslakearea51 a couple of weeks ago, I get this appreciation for big Sansui integrated amplifiers. Deadly quiet, massive power supply, features and knobs galore, and a MONO switch (critical when A/Bing stuff)

So I'm turning the photo gallery into a dedicated 2 channel listening room (at last). Yeah, there will be photos of brides around, that might change in time, so it'll still be part gallery. Who knows, maybe all that Gatorfoam is acoustically sound?

Marshall GLA51 managed to get a Sansui 9900A for me from guess who, Harry O right here in Indy. So no shipping involved, just head down to the southside and pick it up.

What I'm looking at is a small chest of drawers to hold the Sansui and the troubled Thorens 125 turntable, with input for iPod for when I want an instant library of music. This is situated at the far end of the room, away from footsteps. The floor joists go the short dimension of the room, so walking to the stereo hopfully wont make the Thorens think there's an earthquake in the vicinity.

For now the speaker systems are the KHWO 77's still original xovers on the long wall, and some Jamo concert 830's on stands about 1/3 of the way in. Don't laugh, those 830's were Europe's Speaker of the Year 1997. There is extra room so perhaps the CWIII or H III might find a permanent spot here. Or I could leave room to put in some test subjects from time to time. This would be a good spot for the Colter Comparator (the Niles switch box with level controls).

I know- no tubes, perhaps one day. For now at least it's dedicated, there are no receivers, vinyl will be the source of choice, and with no TV, it's strictly a listening room. Even the chairs keep you bolt upright for more active listening.

Suggestions?

Any poosibility of putting the Thorens on a wall shelf? I will say, on my very heavy credenza that I had it sitting on, it was pretty darn good about not skipping. So maybe try to make it a small, heavy chest of drawers. What cartridge you going to use? Don't go picking some light tracker in your situation!

In the old Hearth room, it was on a 6' tall Bello stand that was on the same floor joists that you would walk on to get to it. I hope that by combination of putting it on outside wall, on sturdy low cabinet, on non-travelled joists.

If I get really happy with the setup I might consider buying a wall shelf. But I'm not butchering these nice plaster walls if I don't have to. The Technics will be in place before a wall shelf.

I have the cartridge you set it up with. Haven't moved it yet, just got amp up and speaker cables rerun this am.

If I get really happy with the setup I might consider buying a wall shelf. But I'm not butchering these nice plaster walls if I don't have to.

You don't have to butcher, just drill 2 to 4 well-placed holes for screws for a Target wall mount if that fits your situation. Put one of the 2 screws in the top rail into a stud (drill a series of very small holes to find one), since that'll hold anything you put on it. Mine holds about 100 lbs., for example.

I had to get masonry bits for my plaster walls.

In the old Hearth room, it was on a 6' tall Bello stand that was on the same floor joists that you would walk on to get to it. I hope that by combination of putting it on outside wall, on sturdy low cabinet, on non-travelled joists.

If I get really happy with the setup I might consider buying a wall shelf. But I'm not butchering these nice plaster walls if I don't have to. The Technics will be in place before a wall shelf.

The Technics decks sure do resist footfalls and vibrations nicely. They sound good, too, but can sound better with an upgraded tonearm. In the September 2007 (on newstands now) issue of Hi-Fi World, an English magazine, there's a report on an SL-1200 MK2 that one of the editors tweaked out in several ways. The biggest change was to install a "specially souped up Rega RB250 arm courtesy of arch turntable tweakers Audio Origami", which had been improved with Cardas internal wires, among other things. There's a company over there called Origin Live who even make a Rega adapter to make it easy to fit the new arm. There's no height adjustment with that arm, so they set its height with washers.

The project turned out well, in that when the Technics was compared to a Michell Gyrodec and an SME Model 10, it was noticeably better in certain ways than both those much more expensive decks. Although its soundstaging was a tad more two-dimensional than the belt-drive units, it had a "startingly clear sound from bottom to top, the whole essence of the deck being its remarkable bite, clarity and incision which neither of the two reference belt drives could deliver."

I guess you can tell I'm a Technics SL fan.

Michael,

I am a big believer in those Target wall racks for a turntable if you have any type of vibration issues from the floor. They are great.

Do you have a couple of photos of that room?

Travis

The electronics are against a window wall currently. Let me get set up and we'll see how she does.

• Moderators

That would make a very nice listening room, the only problem the great photos of good looking brides are distracting for most men ! [;)]

You may have to turn down the lights a little so they hide a little, wouldn't want to take them down they are really nice pictures !

I was very surprised [:|] at the sound of the Jamo concert 830's, it was the first Jamo's I have ever heard. They sounded very good for such a small size !

That would make a very nice listening room, the only problem the great photos of good looking brides are distracting for most men ! [;)]

I agree... they (who am I kidding when I say "THEY"...it'll be US) will be looking at the speakers & drooling like Homer Simpson, then turning away to keep from being embarassed about it, only to see the pictures of all the beautiful girls on the walls thereby magnifying said drool....back to the speakers (drool), back to the babes (drool), back to the speakers (drool).... YIKES.... I'm already salivating....

[:$]

I agree... they (who am I kidding when I say "THEY"...it'll be US) will be looking at the speakers & drooling like Homer Simpson, then turning away to keep from being embarassed about it, only to see the pictures of all the beautiful girls on the walls thereby magnifying said drool....back to the speakers (drool), back to the babes (drool), back to the speakers (drool).... YIKES.... I'm already salivating....

[:$]

Come on man, wipe your chin ..... Geez !!!!!!! ... Dtel, who has those thigh shots from the Wedding, post those again, and give Coytee something to drool about !

Come on man, wipe your chin ..... Geez !!!!!!! ... Dtel, who has those thigh shots from the Wedding, post those again, and give Coytee something to drool about !

Hey Pops...you want something to drool about?

I told the Dtels that if they ever needed to pose that picture again and needed yet another leg... they could use mine...[+o(]

From my visit to Groomlakearea51 a couple of weeks ago, I get this appreciation for big Sansui integrated amplifiers. Deadly quiet, massive power supply, features and knobs galore, and a MONO switch (critical when A/Bing stuff); Marshall GLA51 managed to get a Sansui 9900A for me from Harry O right here in Indy.

It's the knobs!!! CP1 just sat there and started drooling... He loved the knobs (He was lookin' real serious at them and I figured he was gonna' take one with him, but they weigh about 50-60 pounds each so I knew I was safe!!!) Seriously, you can do mono (summed L&R), or ALL left or ALL right, as well as stereo and reverse stereo. Anyone looking at them needs to know that almost all of the vintage "Pro Series" will need the pots and switches cleaned and lubed after 25+ years. Good news... all of the contacts are silver as opposed to the normal crappy carbon stuff. They are quiet, real quiet. With no music playing, you cannot tell they are running even when sticking your ear in the K-77 hole....

My buddy Troyphoto came over last night and wanted to see how the room was coming along. I played some Pink Floyd through the Sansui into the Khorns but the source was my iPod- not very impressive at all-- uggh it sounded terrible. Must be the iPod, eh?

really? I used to love my old Khorns with FM or CD (although it was just a cheapie walkman unit), but this sounded BAD, completely lackluster. I usually record to iTunes with 192 kb or lossless also. What is going wrong?

I'll hook up a real CD player soon and give a listen. I'd hate for the Sansui to be sounding that gritty.

I also have Bob's AA/A networks in the LSBR's. I'll swap one of those in a Khorn and A/B them. Thank goodness I now have a mono switch!