Palladium versus Klipschorns?

DTLongo

• Moderators

I think they are being primary made for the Asian market and most of them are going to be sold outside the US.

They will be made for any Palladium-authorized dealer who orders them, regardless of their location in the world.

They are not the flagship of the Reference Line or the Heritage Line. The P-39F is the flagship model of the Palladium Line.

We do not have specs at this time because we have not done measurements on a completed production unit yet.

It's like a fine wine, guys. Don't rush it. [:)]

Since no one wants to hear the opinion on sound from a Klipsch employee, I will remain mum. [:#] However, I will say it is the opinion of some folks around here who knew PWK the best....that he would be quite proud of this product.

• Like 1

So if you guys were making the call, Klipsch would not produce a speaker without a folded horn bass bin?

Not exactly no but to me a fully horn loaded systems is where the genius of Klipsch shines and sets themselves apart from the competition. IMO PWK left Klipsch a final flagship fully horn loaded speaker which even had a consumer release date at one time. I never have liked the reference line very much and the paladium looks like a big beautiful reference linespeaker. It would be nice to see specs and be able to actually hear paladiums before lumping it in with other reference speakers as that is unfair. I would like a very good demo whenever a pair arrives in Little Rock. Klipsch is trying to capture as many markets as they can and in that pursuit I hope they are successful. The revamped Heritage line ROCKS. The new headphones sound and fit better than anything out there. Then there is the cinema line which is totally cool. They seem to be doing alot of things right. I am just one guy in one niche that is barely on the marketers radar.A niche of a niche of a niche : )

So when can we hear a pair of paladiums?

Like I said before, I completely GET where Klipsch has been and what put them on the map. However, we all know that K-horns flowing out the door does NOT pay the bills for Klipsch these days. We also know, from our anecdotal observations, that the K-horn does not even have what marketing people would call a "halo effect" since it is not sitting on the floor next to the lower priced speakers.

I find it hard to believe that people insist that the sound quality we can achieve in our homes peaked 30 years ago.

• Moderators

I think they are being primary made for the Asian market and most of them are going to be sold outside the US.

They will be made for any Palladium-authorized dealer who orders them, regardless of their location in the world.

They are not the flagship of the Reference Line or the Heritage Line. The P-39F is the flagship model of the Palladium Line.

We do not have specs at this time because we have not done measurements on a completed production unit yet.

It's like a fine wine, guys. Don't rush it. [:)]

Since no one wants to hear the opinion on sound from a Klipsch employee, I will remain mum. [:#] However, I will say it is the opinion of some folks around here who knew PWK the best....that he would be quite proud of this product.

I have no qualms or dispute with any of that Amy, especially that they will be available from any aitjprozed, regardless of location. However, I am sure there was forecasting for this product, and a target market. While it is none of my business what the predictions were, or who is targeted, I would bet a bottle of Booker's that it is anticipated that the big demand is going to be in Asia, as opposed to Europe or North America. In other words, the target market for the P-39F is Asia.

I would love to hear your opinion on how they sound. If you said they sound better then Jubs with 402's properly set up I would buy them on your reccomendation alone. Of course I would want to know if you were listening to prototype drivers, or the production drivers that are going to actually go into them.

As far as how long it takes, I am willing to wait as long as it takes and I for one said I will be happy to come to a P-39F listen in Indy. Put me at the top of the list. I was even ready to fly to Denver to listen to them at that show until I found out that they were just mock-ups. I am hopeful they will be up and ready for CES, but I heard that is not for sure, that it is all dependent on when the drivers can go into production.

I accidently saw prototype cabs in July and have been wanting to hear them from that point on, and after the anouncement in August I was really looking forward to hearing them. We are now almost in November and I have heard they are still not ready for production or even a listen, but I am looking forward to that day.

Any idea on how long it is going to be?

Travis

"So if you guys were making the call, Klipsch would not produce a speaker without a folded horn bass bin?"

No, we were speaking in the context of "the flagship" -- the best that Klipsch has to offer.

"...I completely GET where Klipsch has been and what put them on the map. However, we all know that K-horns flowing out the door does NOT pay the bills for Klipsch these days."

And neither will $15K pairs of Palladiums, right?

"We also know, from our anecdotal observations, that the K-horn does not even have what marketing people would call a "halo effect" since it is not sitting on the floor next to the lower priced speakers."

And we sure won't see the Palladium at Best Buy, which begs the question -- who will be carrying them?

I find it hard to believe that people insist that the sound quality we can achieve in our homes peaked 30 years ago.

I don't think anyone is saying that, and I'm not about to make the mistake of making comments about a speaker I've never heard. With that said, the Jubilee isn't 30 years old, and can be special ordered in a finished version. Four horn loaded 12's have more "horsepower" than six 9" cones. The Jubilee is higher in sensitivity, which means lower distortion at any given volume level -- and the big horn is in a class of its own. PK might have liked the Palladium, but I think he would have flipped out the BS button to someone who said the smaller speaker is top dog.

"So if you guys were making the call, Klipsch would not produce a speaker without a folded horn bass bin?"

No, we were speaking in the context of "the flagship" -- the best that Klipsch has to offer.

"...I completely GET where Klipsch has been and what put them on the map. However, we all know that K-horns flowing out the door does NOT pay the bills for Klipsch these days."

And neither will $15K pairs of Palladiums, right?

"We also know, from our anecdotal observations, that the K-horn does not even have what marketing people would call a "halo effect" since it is not sitting on the floor next to the lower priced speakers."

And we sure won't see the Palladium at Best Buy, which begs the question -- who will be carrying them?

I don't think anyone is saying that, and I'm not about to make the mistake of making comments about a speaker I've never heard. With that said, the Jubilee isn't 30 years old, and can be special ordered in a finished version. Four horn loaded 12's have more "horsepower" than six 9" cones. The Jubilee is higher in sensitivity, which means lower distortion at any given volume level -- and the big horn is in a class of its own. PK might have liked the Palladium, but I think he would have flipped out the BS button to someone who said the smaller speaker is top dog.

-Sure, the claim has been made that without horn loaded bass it can't really be a Klipsch "flagship", the best they have to offer. I argue that this need not be true, and soon may not be true.

-There are 3 levels of Palladium floorstanding speakers. The "low" end will come in at around the cost of a Klipschorn. Put the $7k palladium and the $7k Klipschorn in the same showroom, and which one will sell more? Companies like B&W paid the bills with $8,000 Nautilus 802s for a long time as far as I can tell. I like the 802s, I don't think I'd call them better than a k-horn, but more sellable? yeah. If the comments about Hope-made stuff over $10k having a prestige factor is to be believed (I have no personal knowledge of this subject) then this may be a cow named Cash. So, while we won't seem them at best buy, there are a lot of successful companies making gear that has no floorspace at boxpusher stores. I argue that the Palladium is more likely to be carried than k-horns.

I don't think anyone specifically stated that the state of the art peaked 30 years ago (how old is the Jubilee anyway? 20 years? 15?) but it's implied in this thread and in many threads in 2ch every day. Tubes are better than SET which is better than solid state which is better than digital. Reel to reel is better than vinyl which is better than CD which is better than digital files. Anything Paul Klipsch designed is better than whatever Klipsch might make today. The pattern here is that Old trumps New, seemingly automatically. What the hell are all the electronic and acoustic engineers doing these days? Making inferior stuff trying to catch up with what people designed years and years ago? If measurable stats showed that LP has more dynamic range than CD people in here would be jumping up and down screaming "Look what Science says!". If the same Science shows that <<insert new technology>> is better in every possible perceivalbe/measurable way than <<insert old technology>> then it will be automatically poo-pooed as "wrong" or the claim will be made that "this is subjective".

When I heard the Jub in Hope I was underwhelmed and would rather have k-horns any day unless changes have been made. I haven't heard the Palladium yet. I just find it odd that there seems to be an outrage and cries of "treason" at this new product, even when people who knew Paul Klipsch state that he would be smiling and not turning over in his grave if he could see and here this new effort.

I too must chime in as a member of the "I prefer the folded horn bass sound". Having said that I think Klipsch has hit it completely out of the park in terms of aesthetics with this new line. I have a hard time imagining them sounding better than the Jubes, but I am very excited about their prospects. Most of us whove gone down the Heritage upgrades path have opted away from exponential horns in the mids. We almost all mutually agree the best upgrade Klipsch could make to the Heritage line is to move to tractix horns. A lot of us who found the Reference line lacking was the two-way configuration that really only used the horns as a very upper mid/tweeter and of course folded horns issue. Now with the Palladium line we see the inclusion of a tractix tweeter and allowing the opportunity to use a tractix mid horn that can go lower perhaps into the 500 Hzish range. We see folks tout the Jubes as the flagship of the Heritage line which they are not, theyre part of the Pro Cinema line that a few of us (hopefully me one day) opted to include in our home set ups. So I am not going to pooo poo this new development. Ill poo poo the lack of available places to demo any/most Klipsch products, that really frustrates me. While I enjoy the Pilgrimages immensely, I do not relish the fact that they are likely the only place Ill get to hear the Klipsch products I have an interest in auditioning. I am excited about its development.

"...(how old is the Jubilee anyway? 20 years? 15?)

I think they had a working version in 1996. The present incarnation is relatively new.

When I heard the Jub in Hope I was underwhelmed and would rather have k-horns any day unless changes have been made.

I respect your opinion, but having had the opportunity to compare them head on in the same room -- the Klipschorn is a distant second.

"I just find it odd that there seems to be an outrage and cries of "treason" at this new product.."

I'm not sure where this is coming from, I must have missed those posts -- I don't see anything like that in this thread.

"...even when people who knew Paul Klipsch state that he would be smiling and not turning over in his grave if he could see and here this new effort."

Where did anyone say he would be turning in his grave? It's a beautiful speaker built with what appears to be great parts -- I'm sure a pair sound great. I didn't know PWK, but it's doubtful he wouldn't have liked them. However, no one is going to BS me into thinking that he would have thought the design superior to a fully horn loaded design. He apparently spent a good deal of time trying to improve the Klipschorn, but I don't think that time was spent playing with direct radiators and cone loaded midranges. If there's one thing that hasn't changed in the last 30 years -- it's the laws of physics.

With that said, the Jubilee isn't 30 years old, and can be special ordered in a finished version.

Are you talking in black lacquer or actual wood grain veneer finishes?

Delgado said several times that you can order them with veneer and grills. All Jubilee orders are special order -- you tell them what you want, they give you a number -- and you write the check. You can even specify the kind of plywood you want them built out of.

With that said, the Jubilee isn't 30 years old, and can be special ordered in a finished version.

Are you talking in black lacquer or actual wood grain veneer finishes?

Delgado said several times that you can order them with veneer and grills. All Jubilee orders are special order -- you tell them what you want, they give you a number -- and you write the check. You can even specify the kind of plywood you want them built out of.

How much $$$$?

Hey, nice to see you back.

"We see folks tout the Jubes as the flagship of the Heritage line which they are not, theyre part of the Pro Cinema line..."

No, we're "touting" the Jubilee as the "flagship" -- period.:)

Is the Industrial LaScala a Heritage speaker? Since it came from the commercial line and finished in black -- it's not Heritage? The Jubilee is actually called the Klipschorn Jubilee, which sounds pretty "Heritage" to me. And again, the version being sold for the home is not the same as the one being sold to Cinemas.

Put the $7k palladium and the $7k Klipschorn in the same showroom, and which one will sell more?

I would suggest to add the $7K Jubilee to the showroom along with the $7K Palladium and the $7K Klipschorn.

I have heard the Jubilee and the Khorn and know which sounds best to my ears. Also am looking forward to hearing Palladium.

Which one would sell more? Based on style and WAF, I would imagine that the Palladium would sell more. Can't speak to sound, as I haven't heard them.

Putting the 15K Palladium in the showroom is what is most interesting to me.

• Moderators

" I find it hard to believe that people insist that the sound quality we can achieve in our homes peaked 30 years ago."

Far from it !

I have nothing against the Palladium, I hope it's a huge success for Klipsch. By far I think it's the best looking speaker Klipsch has ever put out ! I can't comment on sound I haven't heard them .

I can comment that what was said about sound quality peaking 30 years ago is [bs], they can insist all they want, they just apparently are not interested in the truth or what really sounds better !

I don't care if it looks like a bose cube or a refrigerator, the sound is the only thing that matters to me, best looking or ugliest, how does it sound ?

I don't care if it looks like a bose cube or a refrigerator, the sound is the only thing that matters to me, best looking or ugliest, how does it sound ?

Me too & the best sound i've heard came from the Jubilee. I do look forward to one day hearing the Palladium.