Palladium versus Klipschorns?

DTLongo

The November Sound & Vision magazine's "The Tech Zone" column describes the new Klipsch Palladium in some detail. It evidently is Kilpsch's new "flagship" replacing the Klipschorn which continues in production. While the Khorn is completely horn-loaded, the Palladium evidently uses horns only for the midrange and treble and three ported conventional drivers for the bass. At $15,000 per pair they are twice as expensive as Klipschorns.

Has anyone (outside of Klipsch) had the opportunity to A-B a pair of Palladiums against a pair of relatively new Klipschorns? What did you think?

P.S. The same November issue of the magazine had a glowing review of top-line KEF 207/2 speakers at $20,000/pair. All the superlatives seemed to describe what my 2003 Khorns already do. The Klipschorn is still a remarkable product.

The November Sound & Vision magazine's "The Tech Zone" column describes the new Klipsch Palladium in some detail. It evidently is Kilpsch's new "flagship" replacing the Klipschorn which continues in production. While the Khorn is completely horn-loaded, the Palladium evidently uses horns only for the midrange and treble and three ported conventional drivers for the bass. At $15,000 per pair they are twice as expensive as Klipschorns.

Has anyone (outside of Klipsch) had the opportunity to A-B a pair of Palladiums against a pair of relatively new Klipschorns? What did you think?

P.S. The same November issue of the magazine had a glowing review of top-line KEF 207/2 speakers at $20,000/pair. All the superlatives seemed to describe what my 2003 Khorns already do. The Klipschorn is still a remarkable product.

Hogwash : ) Can't replace the Klipschorn with anything but a Jubilee which is the flagship PWK left Klipsch. I'll go to my corner now.

A few have heard the Palladium in Indy. I can't wait to demo it as it looks very pretty. When can we expect it to see it in the audio stores? When and where can we hear one in Arkansas? Inquiring minds want tro know.

• Like 1

The palladium is not the "flagship of the reference line" but a new line entirely.

While I "get" the hero worship of PWK and the reverence of the k-horn (I have spent countless hours on a klipsh fan site) I'm all for progress. The P-39F has been described as the "best of klipsch" and I expect that's what it'll be.

• Like 1

I'd guess for the average household, the Palladium's might/would represent Klipsch state of the art and therefore be considered their Flagship.

I however, do not think that the Palladium represents the pinnacle of what Klipsch can manufacture for home use. Though I've never heard the Palladium, I'd bet a set of golf balls that they'd be no 'better' than my laScalas and therefore by extension, no better than Khorns.

In TODAY's market, your average home isn't buying THOSE sized speakers (big Heritage) today, I'd be comfortable saying/thinking that the Palladiums are the flagship for the market as it might (realistically) exist. I'd expect a lot of people willing to pay 15 large for something the size/sound of the Palladiums, than 15 large for something like the Jubilee which imposes FAR more into their life and room.

I DO remember hearing Roy once make a comment that the Jubilee is in his opinion, THE best they can put out. That alone is enough for me to see the word "flagship" mated with Palladium as being a little bit of marketing.

Maybe we need to divide the "flagships" among horn verses non-horn???

• Like 1

I'd guess for the average household, the Palladium's might/would represent Klipsch state of the art and therefore be considered their Flagship.

I however, do not think that the Palladium represents the pinnacle of what Klipsch can manufacture for home use. Though I've never heard the Palladium, I'd bet a set of golf balls that they'd be no 'better' than my laScalas and therefore by extension, no better than Khorns.

In TODAY's market, your average home isn't buying THOSE sized speakers (big Heritage) today, I'd be comfortable saying/thinking that the Palladiums are the flagship for the market as it might (realistically) exist. I'd expect a lot of people willing to pay 15 large for something the size/sound of the Palladiums, than 15 large for something like the Jubilee which imposes FAR more into their life and room.

I DO remember hearing Roy once make a comment that the Jubilee is in his opinion, THE best they can put out. That alone is enough for me to see the word "flagship" mated with Palladium as being a little bit of marketing.

Maybe we need to divide the "flagships" among horn verses non-horn???

Now Richard, you know it's not good to make generalizations before hearing the product. ; )

In today's market, 15K is a lot of cash. I would guess that most these Palladiums will find their way overseas, or only be purchased by more wealthy folks in the states. Most folks today are happy with a HTIB. Most today's folks would think a Palladium is a monster sized speaker, much less the ol' Heritage or Jubilee.

The physical size of the Palladium dictates that it won't sound near as big and wide as the Jubilee. You could almost buy 4 Jubilee's and shoot for 5.1 HT with 15K.

Some are more concerned about good sound than looks. I fall in that camp I suppose, or just don't care. Some have the capability of buying and putting things together to make excellent sound. Some have plenty of cash, but not really the knowledge of putting a system together and come out with good synergy, tonality, whatever....they just throw money at it until it sounds good.

Now these types are going to have the most concern about aesthetics. They want good sound of course, but it's gotta look spendy too. IMO, I think the Palladium looks rather cool. The tweeter mid-housing looks kinda funky, but that's my opinion. The veneer work looks awesome.

Now the chap with the 3 million dollar home will probably cringe at the thought of a pair of plug-uglies in the corners, but would like the looks of the Palladium over the larger sound that the Jubilee puts out. Look at it from a wealthly dudes POV.......The looks of the Palladium compared to Jubilee is something akin to a Chris-Craft to a Tugboat.

I guess you could say Palladium is the Flagship of the reference series, and the Jubilee is the Flagship Heritage. Even though Jubilee is really a home off-shoot of a cimema speaker. They sure throw off a huge sound, however.....

Palladium is a completely different animal than Khorn. Closer to the reference line than Heritage. It's line is referred to as Global High End Line. That sounds pretty descriptive as the purpose and mission of the Palladium.

Folks who are fans of horn loaded bass will continue to be. . . well, I don't know what to say they will continue being.

Folks who end up owning Palladiums will not likely be folks who were considering Khorn or Jubilee and heard something they liked better.

I can't wait to hear them.

The palladium is not the "flagship of the reference line" but a new line entirely.

While I "get" the hero worship of PWK and the reverence of the k-horn (I have spent countless hours on a klipsh fan site) I'm all for progress. The P-39F has been described as the "best of klipsch" and I expect that's what it'll be.

The proof is in the hearing. Have specs been posted.

Even on eBay or AudiogoN the Palladiums will remain too rich for my blood. Maybe in 20 years a used pair will be more affordable, but not anytime soon, I'm afraid.

That's okay...I'm happy with my Cornwalls and the RB-75s! Like the Palladium and the Klipschorn, two totally different design approaches and sonic signatures...one isn't better than the other IMHO, only different. I'd love to be able to compare the two, though...

FYI, one sent to Sound & Vision magazine yesterday. Will be interesting to see whether they pick up on it.

(begin repeat)

Subj:

Klipsch Palladium versus Klipschorns

Date:

10/27/2007 5:49:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time

DTLongo

To:

soundandvision@hfmus.com

CC:

DTLongo

Dear Sound & Vision Editor Mike Mettler: see the following string on the Klipsch Forum: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/977672.aspx

When your magazine writes its own review on the new Klipsch P-39F Palladium, please include your reviewers' impressions of how the new Klipsch flagship Palladiums compare sonically with a pair of newer-model classic "mighty Klipschorns."

Admittedly many of your younger readers won't know what Klipschorns are. But many of your older readers WILL know and will be very interested on how, in your reviewers' view, they fare relative to the new Klipsch big kids.

We all know your magazine has to play to its current advertisers (including Klipsch), but if you do it right, this could be an exceptionally interesting article welcomed by everyone.

I am posting a copy of this on the aforementioned Klipsch forum.

/s/ D. Thomas Longo, Jr.
Delmar, MD
DTLongo@aol.com

• Moderators

I too am really looking forward to hearing the P-39F, it is going to look great! However, from what I hear it is going to be quite a while before there is a pair that is going to be up and running. The drivers are a ways off in terms of production. I hope they are going to be ready for CES but I hear that is even in doubt. Amy said that if there were enough people interested they would have a demo in Indy when they were ready for a go.

I think they are being primary made for the Asian market and most of them are going to be sold outside the US.

Travis

When I think Klipsch, I first think fully horn loaded with unheard of efficiency and virtually no distortion. Next I think of direct radiator / vented speakers with unheard of effiency and still very low distortion.... most of these are rather large.

Who's to say how the Palladium compares to the Klipschorn or Jubilee? Won't know until they can be heard.

I do think I remember reading a post or a comment at the Pilgrimage (RP maybe?, the Klipschorn owning former B*** guy) that many in the Asian and/or European market turn their noses up at Klipschorns as they're not expensive enough, I think less than $10k.

The Palladium will probably appeal to the status crowd (my speakers cost more than yours).

The Palladium models are definitely more decorator and spouse friendly than K'horns or Jubilee. Got a higher SAF (spousal acceptance factor - there are quite a few married women who are music lovers and will sacrifice perceived good looks for sound quality)

I am sure they will be gorgeous and sound wonderful.... better than K'horns or Jubilees, La Scalas, Cornwalls, or Heresies? maybe, maybe not, but probably sound different and obviously I'd expect deeper bass than the La Scalas or Heresies can provide.

And for crushing small cube speakers to smithereens? I think the Heritage models would win hands down ... The PF39 obviously could easily do so, but it'll be awhile before one can find an old empty beat up cabinet to actually do so...

And in the Klipsch tradition will sound better than their non-Klipsch competition, probably even speakers costing much more (so still might lose a few of the status crowd to more expensive brands)

• Moderators

I do think I remember reading a post or a comment at the Pilgrimage (RP maybe?, the Klipschorn owning former B*** guy) that many in the Asian and/or European market turn their noses up at Klipschorns as they're not expensive enough, I think less than $10k.

The Palladium will probably appeal to the status crowd (my speakers cost more than yours).

Where the big demand is coming from is China, but only for products made in Hope. They will pay big money for anything from Hope, thus, guess where the most expensive speakers in the line are going to be made? They are going to be capitalizing off of the goodwill that exists for Hope products in the Asian markets.

Now if we can only figure out a way to put all of the lead and poison dog food back into the speakers and give it back to them.

Travis

When I think Klipsch, I first think fully horn loaded with unheard of efficiency and virtually no distortion.

Could of just stopped there. It seems odd to call something from Klipsch "the flagship" that doesn't include the folded horn.

When I think Klipsch, I first think fully horn loaded with unheard of efficiency and virtually no distortion.

Could of just stopped there. It seems odd to call something from Klipsch "the flagship" that doesn't include the folded horn.

Yes it does seem odd.

I'll extend the remark someone else made earlier that the PF39 is "the flagship" of the Palladium line and the Klipschorn is "the flagship" of the Heritage line to "the true Klipsch flagship is fully horn loaded".