Palladium versus Klipschorns?

DTLongo

• Moderators

How about a side by side comparison Paladium, Klipschorn, and Klipschorn Jubilee? I would put my money on PWKs 60+ years of experience and success which built the company.

Hmmmm doing a search of the Klipsch site for "Klipschorn Jubilee" brings back no return............interesting. When did Klipschorn get added to the Jubilee name?

Craig

I believe it is in the book written about Paul Klipsch. The term Jubilee was selected because it was the anniversary of the Klipschorn. So it was actually the other way around, the Jubilee was added to the Klipschorn name and then eventually Paul let Roy use it in the Pro-Theater line.

Travis

"...When did Klipschorn get added to the Jubilee name?"

I think its always been called the Klipschorn Jubilee. At least as early as 2001, when the LF section was moved into the commercial line and called the KPT-KHJ-LF.

Edwin, so you've returned from your self imposed ban to enlighten us with more factual information on the Jubilee. Well, you got one thing right.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way. I think the Paladium is a very beautiful speaker. The Paladium seems to have top notch components. It just isn't horny enough for me : ) I hope Audio Deminsions or Custom Audio in Little Rock receives a pair. This week I will drop by both stores and ask.

"...When did Klipschorn get added to the Jubilee name?"

I think its always been called the Klipschorn Jubilee. At least as early as 2001, when the LF section was moved into the commercial line and called the KPT-KHJ-LF.

Edwin, so you've returned from your self imposed ban to enlighten us with more factual information on the Jubilee. Well, you got one thing right.

CORRECTUMENDO! The man wins a prize! The 'Jube' was PWK's answer to a 2-way Klipschorn.

It is technically the Klipschorn Jubilee in name

The bass bin (LF) portion is used in the Klipsch Professional Theater speaker that Dean mentions above,hence the nomenclature

KPT-KHJ-LF

Klipsch Professional Theater- Klipschorn Jubilee- Low Frequency

"CORRECTUMENDO! The man wins a prize!"

I already got my prize -- a rock'in photographer to do my daughter's wedding.:)

Ya know, with that cone midrange, the Palladium might be more of a "forgiving" speaker, which means it might actually sound better with lesser recordings -- which I guess means 90% of stuff that is out there. I'm not saying that's the case, just that it might be. It seems like the more resolving power a speaker has, the better the recordings have to be to hear them at their best.

"CORRECTUMENDO! The man wins a prize!"

I already got my prize -- a rock'in photographer to do my daughter's wedding.:)

Ya know, with that cone midrange, the Palladium might be more of a "forgiving" speaker, which means it might actually sound better with lesser recordings -- which I guess means 90% of stuff that is out there. I'm not saying that's the case, just that it might be. It seems like the more resolving power a speaker has, the better the recordings have to be to hear them at their best.

Cone midrange? I thought I seen a horn mid and tweet and two LF woofers in the Palladium.

Craig

It seems like the more resolving power a speaker has, the better the recordings have to be to hear them at their best.

That is something I noticed when I went from KLF 20s to La Scalas!

Dean is the Jub even more revealing of bad recordings than the KHorn or La Scalas?

It seems like the more resolving power a speaker has, the better the recordings have to be to hear them at their best.

That is something I noticed when I went from KLF 20s to La Scalas!

Dean is the Jub even more revealing of bad recordings than the KHorn or La Scalas?

Care should be taken in distinguishing a speaker's ability to resolve detail and the propensity of some designs to accentuate certain aspects of the frequency spectrum. It's all about balance - and an uneven response could be mistaken for a design that is seemingly more detailed than another design.

"Dean is the Jub even more revealing of bad recordings than the KHorn or La Scalas?"

Yeah, I'm afraid so. Terrible recordings sound worse and good recordings sound better. Some of the stuff that I could tolerate on my Klipschorns is now unlistenable -- I'm only talking about a half dozen CD's here so it's not all that bad. The run of the mill stuff is about the same as far as quality of sound goes, but soundstaging/imaging and coherency are still up a good notch with the Jubilees. I'm doing more concert DVD's these days, which sound nothing short of incredible.

"Care should be taken in distinguishing a speaker's ability to resolve detail..."

The less distortion there is the more resolving power the speaker has. Lower distortion means you hear more of what the downstream components are doing (or not doing). I don't know how this applies to a horn loaded cone, but with compression drivers -- a 2" driver has four times the surface area and 10x less distortion than a 1". In the case of the K-55; you have a 7/8" exit driver coupled to a 5/8" entry (throat). I don't know how much "care" it takes to realize the difference, and I simply don't know what to say to someone who doesn't think 10x less distortion is audible or desirable.

"Care should be taken in distinguishing a speaker's ability to resolve detail..."

I don't know how much "care" it takes to realize the difference, and I simply don't know what to say to someone who doesn't think 10x less distortion is audible or desirable.

That wasn't where I was going with that. But no matter...

But regarding "The less distortion there is the more resolving power the speaker has, etc..." - Good point.

I am looking forward to auditioning the Palladiums. I really like the way they look. If they sound half as good as they look, Klipsch is on to a winner.