WAF Querry?

HarryO

In the Garage Sale section a gent is selling off a nice system he just bought because of the WAF and it brought back memories of the EX and I argueing about the Cornwalls I bought when I was still in the service. Admittedly we were short on room in the family housing sections on base but I'd never heard a pair of speakers that moved me like the Cornwalls. I was hooked forever. No going back to bookshelf speakers.
The look of horror on her face as the big plywood boxes shoved her favorite captains lamp to the corner is still etched in the memory banks.
We didn't have much back then. We moved all over the world at that time and had just taken permanent quarters in the states (or so we thought). We immediately went from living out of a seabag, two suitcases, and a couple of boxes to "furniture" that would be in the family throughout coming generations. These were "our" first permanent possessions.
She never warmed to the Cornwalls. It was if they cursed her and they were always a rude reminder of my selfishness in not including her in the decision to buy them.
The military was paying decent money back then and as my pay grade increased our possessions grew. We bought a good van to relocate from base to base as our domain grew in substance. We acquired nice belongings but the Cornwalls just "never fit in" in HER homes. At least she respected MY only real possession. I've still got the old CWs now refinished in Piano Black (my son actually is the owner of them now and cherishes them as much as I do. I am storing them for him while he's deployed overseas again)
Back to the point here.
What sacrifices have been made to own the big speakers and audio in your homes?
Is the Wife Acceptance Factor a real problem for many? I know a few out there have very lenient spouses.
Just curious,
Harry

I've been wedded twice (still on the 2nd go round) and neither wife had much trouble with big speakers. The old one limited the audio budget way more than the new one but I was never told NO you can't have THOSE speakers. In fact they've both taken a certain pride in having a nice stereo system. However wife #1 really hated Zydeco music which I yearn for at times.

My wife was a saint, in more ways that one. Our first speakers were a small set of H/Ks with 8 inch drivers, I think (1971 maybe). I bought a set of JBL 4311s (still have them), and they were still big by the standards of many of our friends. I had a TEAC 4 track, and did recording, and often had friends over to record...microphone cables running everywhere, drums in the bedroom, etc. She NEVER complained. Served us food and was a wonderful servant to all of us while we worked on our music.

Still have the JBLs, even though I use the LaScalas and Heresy IIs for most of my listening. I know she would enjoy them if she were here to listen to them.

I've been through Bose, Definitive Technology, Klipsch RF-25s, RF-7s and my current Forte IIs with my wife. I did have the Bose/Def Techs before we were married though. I am on my third DVD player this year and second HDTV within 3 years. I had an H/K 430 that I bought and sold, Sonic Impact T-amp that I bought and sold and an older Sony Pro-Logic receiver that I sold. I think that everything that I own that's in my home theater was purchased within the last year or so.

Everything in my theater/stereo is in the basement. When we bought our house we agreed that the basement was mine to do whatever I wished with and the rest of the house was hers to decorate/furnish/paint/etc. Obviously I have to work within our budget but she has never said I couldn't get anything because it was 'too big' or anything to that effect.

• Moderators

I happen to be lucky and ended up on the very lenient spouse side also. Thanks spouse. [:D]

That may be why I don't understand the " not in my house " deal ?

Who are they " decorating " for, to impress other people ? Your house should be set up to make the people that live there happy, not to impress others.

We have a real simple rule if you really don't like our house or something in it, do not come back, no problem, it was set up to make us happy.

To tell the truth no one has had a problem with it yet, or maby they were smart enough not to comment ?

About that captain's lamp though....

Is that the same lamp your ex beat you with?NOPE! That was a 36" brass vase used for dried flowers when I ran the motorcycle through the living room window a couple of days after she had stripped and redone the hardwood floors. She hit me hard enough to break my wrist. I'd probably killed myself if I hadn't been so drunk.

Harry

About that captain's lamp though....

Is that the same lamp your ex beat you with?NOPE! That was a 36" brass vase used for dried flowers when I ran the motorcycle through the living room window a couple of days after she had stripped and redone the hardwood floors. She hit me hard enough to break my wrist. I'd probably killed myself if I hadn't been so drunk.

Harry

So, why did you break up?

Is the Wife Acceptance Factor a real problem for many? I know a few out there have very lenient spouses.

I'd say that the only thing that saved my hiney is I already had my LaScalas (2), EV Interface D (think Cornwalls), 3 Academy's, RTR and other things when I first met my wife so it wasn't really adding anything "new" to the house when I brought Khorns or Plug Uglies home...just a matter if degree.

All the more reason everyone needs to buy BIG and start YOUNG!!

[:D]

My wife was a saint, in more ways that one. Our first speakers were a small set of H/Ks with 8 inch drivers, I think (1971 maybe). I bought a set of JBL 4311s (still have them), and they were still big by the standards of many of our friends. I had a TEAC 4 track, and did recording, and often had friends over to record...microphone cables running everywhere, drums in the bedroom, etc. She NEVER complained. Served us food and was a wonderful servant to all of us while we worked on our music.

Still have the JBLs, even though I use the LaScalas and Heresy IIs for most of my listening. I know she would enjoy them if she were here to listen to them.

A very sweet story Marvel. Toss one her favorites on the changer tonight.

I must say, I'm glad I had the Chorus's, Heresy II's, Academy, and SW10II, prior to us meeting. If not, I'd be a disappointed owner of BLOSE. If I want to start an arguement, all I have to do is mention that I'd like to own Khorns and Belle's. Believe me that conversation starts a WAR.

You should have seen the day I brought a pair of my buddies raw birch Lascalla's over for an evening of trying to convince HIS wife to let him build a HT in their living room. My wife locked herself in the bedroom and refused to come out until the following morning. The next morning, I was awoken to my wife standing over me with my propane torch in her hand. She said, "You have exactly one hour to get those things out of MY house".

When I bought the Forte's though, I took a different approach. I brought them into the living room and set them in the middle of the floor and just left them there for a few hours, Kind of like taking your pet cat to a new environment. After a few hours, she got off the couch and walked over to them and rubbed her hands on them, complaining about the dust. I immediately got up and grabbed the Formby's furniture oil and cleaned them up, Never saying a word. A little while later, She asked if it would be possible to move the Chorus's to the rear channel and place the new Forte's in their spot. Ha Ha, they're accepted as part of the family now!!!.

So the lesson to be learned in my house is, don't say a word about what you want to do, just bring them in and let the wife look at them for a while, even when met with hostilities, they'll get over it,,,,, eventually!

Stories like these make me really glad I'm single. When women visit me, they at least act impressed when they see the La Scalas. It could be just a case of trying to make a good impression on the eligible bachelor, but that's okay with me. Of course, everyone likes the sound, but when I first go to put on some music, visitors often think or say, "Uh-oh! Concert speakers, we're going to be blown out of our seats!"

Then I put on some Chet Baker or Stephane Grappelli at medium volume, or some Stevie Ray Vaughan a bit higher (Tin Pan Alley is a favourite) and see smiles all around.

I've had at least Forte-size speakers for decades and no-one has ever grumbled about them. The Scalas have been sharing my living room with me for more than a year and they really are part of the place.